Notifications
Clear all

Long term effects of zinc

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 12/07/2010 9:44 pm

So iv been taking two 30mg pills of zinc monothionine a day (60 a day). They are each supplemented with 300mcg of copper.

I have heard that women should not take zinc for a long time because it builds up. I have also heard that it is okay for males to take 30-60 mg a day because they use up zinc quickly. Is this true? Does anybody know if it ssafe of dangerous for a male to take 30-60 mg of zinc for a long period of time. Any info would be mucho appreciated!

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 12/07/2010 9:46 pm

Dude, you're totally fine. Just don't go over 100. That isn't to suggest that anyone should actually use 100 because that's the tolerable limit. Stay at 60, you're all good.

MemberMember

Posted : 12/07/2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. You think even long term it won't be a problem

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 12/07/2010 10:58 pm

Long term long term, 50.

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 12/07/2010 11:13 pm

I have been taking 50mg (started with 100mg for several weeks) for over a year. have had no problems.

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 12/07/2010 11:30 pm

Too much zinc can be really bad for your bones and electrolyte balance because anything over 50mg of Zinc tends to bind to calcium and magnesiums so it will leach them from your bones.

That's why many Zinc supplements also have some Calcium and Magnesium to make up for the loss.

I would say don't go over 50mg just to be safe. You're right about zinc building up over time. You don't need 60 mg a day. That's why things such as Vitamin B12 deficiencies take YEARS before anything starts to happen (our bodies store it and it builds up, combined with the fact that we need very little of it.)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/08/2010 7:51 am

tell me how the zinc works out for you. I need to try that shit myself

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/09/2010 9:43 am

I have been taking 50mg (started with 100mg for several weeks) for over a year. have had no problems.

To much zinc inhibits copper and iron.

less copper :anemia

less iron: anemia.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/07/2012 3:31 pm

would taking 60mg zinc 1x a day cause any inhibition of copper, iron or magnesium?

MemberMember

Posted : 08/21/2012 11:26 pm

Update! I've been taking the zinc since I made this post 2 years ago, and im still here lmao. Im taking the same brand. I have been doing just 30 mg a day for the past few months, but I think im going to up it to 60 again

would taking 60mg zinc 1x a day cause any inhibition of copper, iron or magnesium?

If you are a dude you don't need to worry about iron. If you are going to take long term zinc dosage make sure you supplement with copper! The brand I take has copper in it, and I highly recommend it. Its called optizinc (zinc monothionine)

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 09/06/2012 12:26 pm

Wikipedia has a section under Zinc which goes into great detail about its toxicity levels.

MemberMember
(@obii)

Posted : 09/21/2012 12:34 am

Just as a fair warning to all, I had a hair shedding episode both times that I tried it. Once I used 50 mg's and I noticed hair shedding in about a week. The same thing happened later when I tried 20mg, which I assumed would be enough to avoid the side effects. It seems that this is very rare, as I haven't been able to find too many posts about its' occurrence on the internet, but it does happen.

That being said, it worked flawlessly for my skin. If it works for you, I'd highly recommend it.

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 10/03/2012 1:08 pm

Update! I've been taking the zinc since I made this post 2 years ago, and im still here lmao. Im taking the same brand. I have been doing just 30 mg a day for the past few months, but I think im going to up it to 60 again

If you are a dude you don't need to worry about iron. If you are going to take long term zinc dosage make sure you supplement with copper! The brand I take has copper in it, and I highly recommend it. Its called optizinc (zinc monothionine)

so did the zinc work for you? Are you completely acne free now?

MemberMember
(@mayciebabie)

Posted : 10/16/2012 7:20 pm

How much did it help your skin (: ?

MemberMember

Posted : 10/25/2012 2:53 pm

It is not a cure at all. I use a good topical regimen to keep my skin clear. However, I do believe it has helped with my overall healing of wounds. Whenver I get a scrape or a cut (or a popped pimple) it heals remarkably fast...could be the zinc or could just be me.

Honestly...it's soooo hard for me to say how much it helped my skin, because I take other supplements and use topicals as well. All I know for sure is that there are studies showing that zinc is beneficial, it has not HURT my skin by any means (it has probably helped but I don't want to isolate variables), and that it is overall a healthy mineral to take in small doses (30mg long term). You can take >100 mg, but i would only do that for a few weeks TOPS. But yeah, I think it has definitely been a good supplement, and I am going to keep taking it every day