Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Scarlet

Trying to take a holistic approach with acne + fibromyalgia?

Hello everyone,

I'm new but I've actually been checking the message boards for months prior to joining for quick tips. I've joined recently because I haven't seen a lot on here (or generally) about fibromyalgia and acne and I really want some specific help.

My basic situation: light to moderate acne (varying in severity depending on my health + stress level) for almost 7 years (I'm a teenager); recently it has been more moderate and harder to control. I've had fibromyalgia for at least 3 years (probably longer) and that has been when my acne has been the worst. I want to stop taking prescription acne medications as they work for only a while before my acne returns worse than before and then having to continually return to the dermatologist and spend even more money only to have it continually repeat. It's an expensive cycle that I want to break!

I'm trying to find more foods + supplements in addition to a healthier diet to help with my acne that might also help with my fibromyalgia. I've found that when my fibromyalgia flares/gets worse, my acne does too due to the high level of stress, and when my fibro feels better, my acne also gets better (but does not completely clear up). Also when I get less sleep due to the pain (which is becoming more often as I have developed fibro-related sleeping problems) my acne gets worse. So already I have seen various connections between my fibromyalgia and my acne.

What I have so far that have been shown to help both are:

• Fish oil (for Omega 3s)
  • Anti-inflammatory fruits and vegetables (some nuts, some berries, some fruit, etc.)
  • Water (staying hydrated)
  • Multivitamin (gender/age specific)
  • Proper amounts of sleep
  • Regular exercise, but not excessive

Is there anything else I should look into? Currently I am taking/doing all of them (except the fish oil as I just got it today) plus Evening Primrose Oil to help with bad PMS cramps/PMS-related issues. I recently started (this past weekend) and I have seen a slight improvement in my acne, but I want to know if there is anything else I can do.

I am also considering a digestive system cleanse + drinking/eating something with probiotics (like Yakult) to help aid digestion and help acne caused by digestive/toxin back up related issues.

I'm really looking at the big picture here and I'm interested in anything that might help one or the other, because when one gets better, the other usually does too.

Thanks!

In my women's multivitamin it says that there is Vitamin D (800IU per tablet) and Vitamin K (25mcg per tablet). How much of each should I really be getting?

In my women's multivitamin it says that there is Vitamin D (800IU per tablet) and Vitamin K (25mcg per tablet). How much of each should I really be getting?

the new reccomendation for vit d is 4000 iu

vit k i do not know, but there are 3 different types of vitamin k, life extension super k is good and has all three, otherwise get some whole eggs or cheese in your diet along with some broccolli and you will be doing fine.