Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissOptimistic100

Started the Regimen

Hiiii! :)

So, I started the Regimen five days ago. I had been using Oxy wash (with the pads, and moisturizing with Aveeno Ultra-Calming SPF15) for a few months now, which has been clearing me up quite nicely, but it hit a plateau and I began getting small clusters of pimples in the SAME EXACT areas. I would have three pimples, and they would go away after about a week. The redness remained. THEN, right as the last pimple is going down, they start right back up, coming out of the same red spots, and it's leaving small scars even though I don't touch, irritate or anything!

I've had acne since I was 13, so for me it became a conscious effort to: avoid touching my face, lay on my back when I sleep to avoid contact with sheets (for fear of irritation more than bleaching sheets), being very gentle with acne products on my skin, etc. My small, constant breakouts were getting increasingly aggravating, plus my red spots were not going away! I've had some of them for years!

Anyway, I began Dan's Regimen five days ago, not working my way up (the Oxy wash has 10% BP, and I've used other Dermatologist-prescribed BP products through the years), so I figured my skin was fairly used to BP. Here's the thing: my skin is getting SUPER flaky and dry. I don't feel like I rushed the amount of BP because my skin didn't burn, peel, turn red, or anything. I put it on, it tingled, it dried, and tingled some more. I moisturized it, and the first night was amazing. My skin was glowing the next morning.

Now, however, I've got so much drying that I have wrinkles around my eyes when I smile (if it isn't too uncomfortable to smile b/c of the dryness), and I have GROSS dead skin "shadows" at the corners of my mouth and right above my chin under my lower lip. Granted, I see some redness going away, but I want to stop so badly just because I absolutely hate hate HATE the feeling of dryness. And the gritty feeling of flakiness makes me wonder if I should have even started the Regimen in the first place? At this point, my skin was looking more vibrant the other way I was treating it.

I need some words of encouragement and suggestions. I've read many things on flakiness control, and I ordered the jojoba oil, but it's going to be days before I get it in the mail. With the Regimen I'm using the recommended Cetaphil gentle facial cleanser and the Olay complete for sensitive skin moisturizer.

Should I just go back to the way I was treating my face before, but using Dan's BP on the places that get the most breakouts? I noticed other people mention that they began breaking out very soon after stopping the Regimen (in areas they had never broken out). I'm lucky to have never broken out on my cheeks often, yet those are where I have the most spots from the times I did.

I'm so confused. What do you guys think?? (How can I get over the dryness hump, and should I continue the Regimen, or should I switch it up?)

You're only on your fifth day so this is in line with the acclimating period that comes with starting the treatment. You might want to consider lessening the amount of BP you're using. You need to start small and build your way up even if you've been on BP prior to starting the regimen. Given that you're drying out severely I would ask, are you using enough moisturizer (3 full pumps)? I started the regimen last Friday so we're in the same boat and I haven't experienced any drying out at all. I attribute this to the 4-5 drops of jojoba oil I incorporate into the moisturizer. So if you are using the right amount of moisturizer I would just say sit tight! It's way too early to quit. Help is on the way in the form of that jojoba oil.

Edited by CurbYourEnthusiasm

Thanks for your reply!

In addition to decreasing the amount I use, should I also use the BP only once a day (at night), and just cleanse and moisturize my face in the morning?

I use A LOT of moisturizer (four to five quarter-sized drops for first application) and reapply during the day.

Man...I can't wait for the jojoba oil to get here already :wacko:

I've read that it's okay to use BP once a day for the first week. But keep in mind that using the BP twice a day will be more effective in the long run and it'll take less time for your skin to get used to it when starting out. I would recommend still doing it twice a day but use less. I'm on day 4 and I'm using about a quarter sized amount.

PS - make sure you're not using very hot water as it tends to dry out the skin! Make sure your water is warm/room temperature.

Don't give up!

Edited by CurbYourEnthusiasm

Even if you've used BP before, you still want to start off with a small amount and work your way up very slowly. If you work your way up slowly it will help lessen the dryness you'll experience. Once your jojoba oil arrives, mix some of it in with your olay moisturizer; that should help too.

Maybe it's a good idea to use BP as a spot treatment before your jojoba oil arrives and my observation is that maintain good hygiene is very important: no face touching, changing your sheets and pillow cases and towels every other day etc.

Maybe you need a dry skin moisturizer. I'm on week three now. The first two weeks I was using Cetaphil Acne Solutions moisturizer, which is really light weight. Even with the jojoba oil, I needed to use a ton of moisturizer and still had flaky patches. I switched to Cetaphil Dry Skin moisturizer and things are going much better with the flakes.