Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tk939

Any new treatments out there?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I have an appointment with my derm tomorrow and I was just wondering if any new acne perscriptions have come out recently that I might be able to ask for. I have been on almost everything at this point (except accutane but I don't want to go on that), but no luck in finding something that helps me anymore, at this point, my derm and I are just going back and retrying things I've used in the past. So, anything new out there?

Azelaic Acid and Sodium Sulfacetamide are two relatively lesser known treatments, if you haven't used those.

Adapalene (Differin) is now available in a generic form - should be significantly cheaper.

There's also a new topical antibiotic cream that works mostly through its anti-inflammatory effects - but I can't remember it off the top of my head :(

No matter what you use, the real key is consistency and patience. If you can't stick to a routine and get through some initial discomfort, then nothing will work.

Good luck!

Thank you, but I've already tried azelaic acid as finacea and sodium sulfacetamide, both with very little improvement, if any. I have also tried differin in cream and gel form. I have tried them each for months at a time so I don't think patience is the answer. The antibiotic cream sounds interesting, I might have to look around and see if I can find a name for it.

Thank you, but I've already tried azelaic acid as finacea and sodium sulfacetamide, both with very little improvement, if any. I have also tried differin in cream and gel form. I have tried them each for months at a time so I don't think patience is the answer. The antibiotic cream sounds interesting, I might have to look around and see if I can find a name for it.

Sorry for sounding preachy then... its just often people who claim to have "tried everything" are people who use things haphazardly and randomly, and get upset when there's no visible change the next day (I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift).

Have you tried niacinamide (vitamin B3) as a topical gel? There's a couple studies, but one in particular, that shows it to be as effective as erythromycin. It works by a different mechanism - reducing inflammation and several other acne-pertinent effects. There are some really outrageously expensive over the counter formulations; the only prescription version was Nicomide T - which has been discontinued. Your best bet if you want to try this, is to simply purchase some niacinamide crystals and dissolve it in aloe gel or another water-soluble vehicle. It sounds nuts, but trust me, it's really simple. Just another evidence-based option.

If topical antibiotics have no noticeable effect at all, I'd question if what you have is actually acne? Just thinking out loud.