Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
English_Rose

Sitting in the derm waiting room

I don't want to leave the house today, I just want to hide. My face is a mess, the acne is throbbing and very sore, one huge cystic on my left cheek is in my line of vision and is so big and swollen it's pressing on my upper jaw and causing me toothache.

I have my derm appointment in 2 days which I will have to leave the house for (obviously) but I can't face the journey to the derm without makeup on so I will have all the hassle of spending ages putting makeup to get there, then taking it off when I arrive and the thought of sitting in the waiting room without makeup on is making me cringe. Then I will have to spend ages reapplying makeup after my appointment to get home...does anyone else dread this situation?

I have hated similar situations when i went to see the doctor about my acne.

I was checking in at reception and i had to say i had an appointment with a doctor. i had a vision that the lady would ask what my appointment was for and i would go 'TAKE A GUESS!'

I have these thoughts when waiting too, like anyone else in the room already knows what i'm there for. Doctor waiting rooms are embarassing enough to me already without it being clear why i'm attending.

When i went to the derm for the first time i tripped over a chair and knocked over a whole row of plastic chairs. It was one of the most embarrasing things ive ever done! Everything was so quite before i walked in "/ Everybodys face focused on me.

The woman at the stand said "be careful please!"

This kid my age was saying to his dad " that kid just took himself out on the chairs!"

I remember picking up the chairs one by one whilst everybody was staring at me. Dangit, F M L !

Sorry that you're feeling this way, but I want to remind you that every one else in the derm's waiting room will be thinking about themselves, their day, their own skin problems. At most, they will notice your skin for about a 1/2 second. The receptionist at my derm didn't even look at me and just handed me some forms. But be nice and polite to everyone and they will like you and think you're a good patient. You can't control a break out but you can control your behavior. (I am always SUPER nice to the pharmacist as he fills out my finacea prescription, because damn it's a little embarrassing, but he seems grateful that I'm not a snot). Also, bring a good book and get into it. I do that often and I forget about my skin or my self consciousness.

I HATE having to tell the reception what my appointment is for. I feel like it is always dead quiet in the waiting room when I have to do that. Even over the phone I'm embarrassed to tell them the appt is for acne! I guess that is sort of silly, huh?

I can understand your dread. I never went to the derm without makeup though.. couldn't bear it! He could see my acne just fine with makeup anyway.

It will be worth the time, effort, and dread for you to hopefully find the answer you've been looking for to help control your skin. Even if it only brings you one step closer. Best of luck to you!

on a positive note:

out of all the people to see you at ur worst, I always wanted the derm to see my acne at its worst. that way he/she could REALLY see what was going on. odds are you will never see those people in that waiting room again and if they seriously judge you, well screw em. the people I see in the waiting room with "clean" looking skin, I'm like "really?" we go to these places to find solutions, not impress the waiting room attendants. I totally understand being embarrassed about being seeing in public with bad skin, but who are you going to the derm for? Yourself or those random people? Walk in that waiting room with a smile and happily wait, the others will be jealous of your positive attitude. Thats a win right there, they will remember you. :dance:

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY
When i went to the derm for the first time i tripped over a chair and knocked over a whole row of plastic chairs. It was one of the most embarrasing things ive ever done! Everything was so quite before i walked in "/ Everybodys face focused on me.

The woman at the stand said "be careful please!"

This kid my age was saying to his dad " that kid just took himself out on the chairs!"

I remember picking up the chairs one by one whilst everybody was staring at me. Dangit, F M L !

im sry but lool xD

Back when I went to a private derm, I used to like sitting in the waiting room. They played some nice relaxing music and it was usually empty. :cool: Just a pity that their treatment didn't work! :rolleyes: