Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HelloKitty1987

I've eliminated my dryness and flaking (for the time being)

Short story: I started using Lac Hydrin 5 lotion, a moisturizer with AHA that I purchased from Amazon. I do the regimen normally, washing with Dan's cleanser, applying Dan's BP, and then applying the Lac Hydrin 5 as I would any other moisturizer. It did sting in the beginning, even though I have used AHA lotions before, but within a week it got rid of all the flakes and improved my skin's clarity and tone. I was VERY flakey, and nothing else was working to get rid of it, so I highly recommend this stuff.

Longer story: In the past few months, my skin became very dry and flakey. Why? I live in a place that is VERY humid in the summer, so the extreme difference in winter may have shocked my skin. I have experienced flakiness before, usually in the winter, but never this bad. It may also be because I am getting older and my skin is less oily. I had also recently switched to Dan's new moisturizer. I like the feel of it going on and the finish it gives your skin, but it definitely wasn't working for my flakes. The flakes were really bad, and as some of you may have experienced, it's impossible to cover anything with makeup when your skin is like that, because it just makes the flakes look even worse. Whatever the reason for them, I was very unhappy and self conscious, so I tried the following things:

Jojoba oil exfoliation method: It helps, and has worked for me in the past, but it just didn't get rid of the flakes this time. No matter how long I left the oil on, or how many flakes I got off, after I was done applying BP and moisturizing, more flakes would show up and would continue to show up during the day.

Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion: This also helped with the flakes at first, but it caused a major breakout for me. I have talked about this is several other threads, and I am very sure this lotion caused the break out. It did improve the flakiness, but it did not eliminate it. It was also incredibly greasy and hard to absorb, so there is no way I could have used it during the day. I used it at night and then Dan's moisturizer in the morning. Similar to the jojoba oil method, flakes would show up during the day. I tired mixing it with jojoba oil, which made it even harder to absorb. It made my pillows all greasy and gross. The first few mornings my skin looked nice and moisturized when I woke up, but as I said, I started breaking out very badly, which stopped when I stopped using this stuff.

Lac Hydrin 5: This has been great. It absorbs easily and feels nice. It actually stung a bit the third and fourth times I used it, but it was not too bad and it no longer stings when I use it. If apply too much, I get a little bit of the "tacky" feeling other people have described, but that has only happened once or twice. Most importantly, in a week it COMPLETELY got rid of my flakes. My skin feels nice, I don't have to worry about it getting dry and tight during the day. And it really improved the evenness of my skin tone and helped calm down the breakout I had.

Someone on the forum recommended it to me, I don't remember who it was, but THANK YOU SO MUCH. After your skin issue is gone it's easy to forget how miserable you were before, but it made a huge difference for me, it improved my skin so much.

I sometimes use a little bit of Dan's moisturizer afterwards, because I still have it on hand, and because I like the finish it gives if I'm going to apply makeup. But trust me, the Lac Hydrin 5 is what is making the difference.

I am aware that some topical things work for awhile and then just sort of stop working, so I will keep this thread updated throughout the winter with my skin status. Not everyone's skin is the same, this is what worked for me, some people do have success with the eucerin lotion, and some people are fine with Dan's moisturizer. I hope I can help someone with their dry skin with this information, if you try it let me know how it works for you!

Just wanted to add one tip I have for dry skin. You may have read on this site to wait 10-15 minutes between each regimen step. I find that the longer I wait, the dryer my skin gets. To be clear, you should definitely wait until your skin is dry, as in it is no longer is damp to the touch, but as soon as it is dry, apply the BP. Then as soon as the BP has absorbed, apply the moisturizer. I only recommend this if you are struggling with dryness. It can be tricky, you have to make sure your skin is dry, but I find the longer I sit around after my skin is dry inbetween steps, the worse the dryness will be. Good luck!

Short story: I started using Lac Hydrin 5 lotion, a moisturizer with AHA that I purchased from Amazon. I do the regimen normally, washing with Dan's cleanser, applying Dan's BP, and then applying the Lac Hydrin 5 as I would any other moisturizer. It did sting in the beginning, even though I have used AHA lotions before, but within a week it got rid of all the flakes and improved my skin's clarity and tone. I was VERY flakey, and nothing else was working to get rid of it, so I highly recommend this stuff.

Longer story: In the past few months, my skin became very dry and flakey. Why? I live in a place that is VERY humid in the summer, so the extreme difference in winter may have shocked my skin. I have experienced flakiness before, usually in the winter, but never this bad. It may also be because I am getting older and my skin is less oily. I had also recently switched to Dan's new moisturizer. I like the feel of it going on and the finish it gives your skin, but it definitely wasn't working for my flakes. The flakes were really bad, and as some of you may have experienced, it's impossible to cover anything with makeup when your skin is like that, because it just makes the flakes look even worse. Whatever the reason for them, I was very unhappy and self conscious, so I tried the following things:

Jojoba oil exfoliation method: It helps, and has worked for me in the past, but it just didn't get rid of the flakes this time. No matter how long I left the oil on, or how many flakes I got off, after I was done applying BP and moisturizing, more flakes would show up and would continue to show up during the day.

Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion: This also helped with the flakes at first, but it caused a major breakout for me. I have talked about this is several other threads, and I am very sure this lotion caused the break out. It did improve the flakiness, but it did not eliminate it. It was also incredibly greasy and hard to absorb, so there is no way I could have used it during the day. I used it at night and then Dan's moisturizer in the morning. Similar to the jojoba oil method, flakes would show up during the day. I tired mixing it with jojoba oil, which made it even harder to absorb. It made my pillows all greasy and gross. The first few mornings my skin looked nice and moisturized when I woke up, but as I said, I started breaking out very badly, which stopped when I stopped using this stuff.

Lac Hydrin 5: This has been great. It absorbs easily and feels nice. It actually stung a bit the third and fourth times I used it, but it was not too bad and it no longer stings when I use it. If apply too much, I get a little bit of the "tacky" feeling other people have described, but that has only happened once or twice. Most importantly, in a week it COMPLETELY got rid of my flakes. My skin feels nice, I don't have to worry about it getting dry and tight during the day. And it really improved the evenness of my skin tone and helped calm down the breakout I had.

Someone on the forum recommended it to me, I don't remember who it was, but THANK YOU SO MUCH. After your skin issue is gone it's easy to forget how miserable you were before, but it made a huge difference for me, it improved my skin so much.

I sometimes use a little bit of Dan's moisturizer afterwards, because I still have it on hand, and because I like the finish it gives if I'm going to apply makeup. But trust me, the Lac Hydrin 5 is what is making the difference.

I am aware that some topical things work for awhile and then just sort of stop working, so I will keep this thread updated throughout the winter with my skin status. Not everyone's skin is the same, this is what worked for me, some people do have success with the eucerin lotion, and some people are fine with Dan's moisturizer. I hope I can help someone with their dry skin with this information, if you try it let me know how it works for you!

Glad I could help with the Lac Hydrin. Now if only I can get my dryness to subside! I had to stop the Regimen just to let my skin catch up. The Lac Hydrin was helping, but it seemed like a lost cause. Do you use it morning and night? The only thing I really have against Lac Hydrin is the size of the bottle and the price. I just started using CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion today to try and help with the dryness, and I really hope that it helps. The acne.org moisturizer just simply wasn't cutting it. I think the biggest problem with the acne.org moisturizer is that it moisturizes in one burst and does not protect the skin's moisture balance throughout the day. It lets moisture escape, while many other moisturizers keep moisture in. Anyhow, I plan on using the Lac Hydrin at night (maybe every other night) as kind of my go-to AHA lotion. Once again, glad to hear I could help, and good luck the rest of the way!

Guest Timehealsall

Glad I could help with the Lac Hydrin. Now if only I can get my dryness to subside! I had to stop the Regimen just to let my skin catch up. The Lac Hydrin was helping, but it seemed like a lost cause. Do you use it morning and night? The only thing I really have against Lac Hydrin is the size of the bottle and the price. I just started using CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion today to try and help with the dryness, and I really hope that it helps. The acne.org moisturizer just simply wasn't cutting it. I think the biggest problem with the acne.org moisturizer is that it moisturizes in one burst and does not protect the skin's moisture balance throughout the day. It lets moisture escape, while many other moisturizers keep moisture in. Anyhow, I plan on using the Lac Hydrin at night (maybe every other night) as kind of my go-to AHA lotion. Once again, glad to hear I could help, and good luck the rest of the way!

is lac hydrin an AHA? i might have to incorporate aha becuase i keep on getting flakes..

is lac hydrin an AHA? i might have to incorporate aha becuase i keep on getting flakes..

Yep, 5% lactic acid. Lactic acid is more gentle than glycolic, and at 5% it is pretty mild. You might be able to get away with using it twice a day. Just be warned, the first time you apply it, your face is going to burn like HELL. The burning will gradually diminish. It will probably take a week or two to stop completely. However, using an AHA, you will definitely see an improvement in your skin texture and tone.

Edited by Ryan C