Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zdravs

Washing face three times a day ( Morning, after school, night)

Is three times a day too much for your skin?

I use the step 3 acne free system: cleanser, toner, moisturier

I notice when I get home after school I have breakout and oily skin so I rinse face with water.

Morning: Acne Free

After school: Washing face with just water

Night: Acnefree

Edited by zdravs

Have you tried reducing how often you use your acnefree cleanser? Most people notice (after a month or so) their skin looking less oily when they stop cleansing twice a day - either just rinsing with water in the AM or doing nothing at all.

Personally, I'd say that it's too much. Especially since you haven't specified whether or not you moisturize. Using such a drying cleanser without moisturizing could be making the oiliness look worse as well. When I'd use drying cleansers and light moisturizers, I'd be an oil slick.

Yep I use that acne moisturizing lotion after.

Is it still too much?

Oh and does wearing glasses attract more oil=acne?

I've got a contacts allergy and so i got new glassses. I noticed after a few days I've been getting more acne.

Edited by zdravs

Using such a drying cleanser without moisturizing could be making the oiliness look worse as well.

I think you've got it backwards! In their monumental 1958 study on the biology of the human sebaceous gland, Kligman & Shelley point out that moisture greatly enhancesthe appearance/perception of oil on the skin. They said that a little oil with a lot of moisture looks worse (oilier) than a lot of oil with only a little moisture.

Here's an actual excerpt of what Kligman & Shelley said in their study (the emphasis in italics is their own):

"...While comparing lipoid deliveries in atropinized and non-atropinized sites of sweating subjects, we made an observation of clinical significance. Although visible oil droplets formed in the dry atropinized sites, the skin gave no evidence of being greasy or oily. In fact, it seemed quite dry. In the symmetrical sweating site, 'oiliness' was a prominent feature. The clinical impression of oiliness is not an entirely reliable index of surface lipids. It is the presence of sweat which imparts the clinical appearance of oiliness. In fact, a little sweat goes a long way in creating the appearance of oiliness, provided, of course, some oil is present. Skin will look oilier when there is much water and little oil than when there is much oil and little water. How oily a subject will appear at any one time will be importantly influenced by the chance of his having recently sweated or of having been in an environment of high humidity..."