Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjmrpg04

Clear but still need some encouragement

*heavy sigh*

Well, my story has been kind of been posted here and there throughout other people's threads but I haven't exactly shared it in my own thread, so here it is in a nutshell.

I started breaking out on my forehead when I moved to Canada. I always had pretty perfect, clear skin before this. I got zits here and there like any person would but for the most part I didn't need any sort of regimen to have nice, smooth and clear skin.

I tried a lot of different store bought products to try and stop the breaking out. Nothing really seemed to help, so I went and saw a dermatologist. She seemed to think my acne was due to a staff infection, and she recommended using BP. Thus, having already discovered acne.org, ordered my products and began a regimen.

Slowly but surely I stopped getting zits. I rarely ever get them on my forehead anymore. My forehead almost always looks nice, smooth, and clear. It looks a little shiny and slightly off colored due to all the product on it, but not enough so that it's really even noticeable as abnormal. All in all it looks like pretty damn healthy, normal skin (been on regimen for about 9 months at this point--probably started to look good at about month 5 or 6).

I remember thinking several months in that the redness and irritation would never stop, however. Day to day my forehead looks red and blotchy and overall ugly (despite being clear).

However, as I said, it no longer appears that way.

Here is my dilemma...

This past summer I started breaking a bit on the lower part of my face. Not horribly, but enough so that I disliked it and decided to use the regimen on the rest of my face. I figured that since I had gone through the process once, it wouldn't be so bad the second time. However, I am far from satisfied at about 4 months in. I am CLEAR, yes. No pimples on the lower part of my face. However, my skin still looks pretty miserable a decent amount of the time. Blotchy, red, and irritated. I am once again feeling like these side effects are never going to subside. I am wondering at this point if maybe my lower face will never fully adjust. Has anyone else experienced a really long, drawn out treatment in terms of their face getting used to BP? I feel like it must subside at some point but I am starting to worry. Do you guys think it'll gradually looks less irritated and blotchy? (i do use aha once every 3 days btw to exfoliate and create new skin cells). I need encouragement here :( I dont want to look this way forever.

First off... I know how much it sucks to go from clear to struggling, especially when you look back and realize you've taken clear skin for granted. :(

Have you tried using alpha hydroxy acid? I've been using BP for donkey's years and it's cleared things up for the most part, but it still leaves my skin tone uneven and red marks tend to linger for a while. I started using AHA a couple of weeks ago and it's really improved the condition of my skin overall (it's so soft, I have to remind myself not to touch it lest I break myself out), and a lot of the red marks are already fading. Just have to be careful about too much sun exposure. Small price to pay, really...

If you've been using BP for ages, you should be fine to use AHA (provided you're not sensitive/allergic to it).

I already use the AHA. Have been using it for like 2 months now. Does it take a while for your skin tone to even out using AHA? I mean, I should know this, cause I had this experience with my forehead...however I just don't know anymore. Like i said, my skin is clear. It even feels pretty nice and soft... It just doesnt LOOK all that hot. Like i said looks red and irritated and kind of blotchy/uneven in tone. I really hope this will subside like my forehead did.

Oh, my apologies... I must've overlooked that bit of your post.

I use AHA every night, do you find it's too harsh for your skin if you use it more often? I haven't had any issues with using it more often. It got rid of the blotchiness I was experiencing... aside from that, I'm not sure. :( I religiously take zinc and fish oil supplements, they seem to help even out my skin as well, though they took a few months to kick in.

yea my skin feels too sensitive to use it every night. I could get away with using it once every other night probably, but even then it leaves my face feeling a bit on the raw side. I prefer using it every 3rd day.