Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Everyone! I have gotten to a point where I am over trying all these prescribed face washes that don't work. I am trying to find more natural things like green tea and olive oil which I have tried and sometimes see results and sometimes don't which leads me to believe that it's not really working. I never really read up on BHA, AHA or anything like that. Can someone please explain to me which is best, how to use it, how much to use and how often to use it?! Also, what is BP?! I have no idea. Someone help! Thank-you! Any details will help. Thank-you so much

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

all i know is that BP=benzoyle peroxyde (probably spelled wrong tho)

Hey Everyone! I have gotten to a point where I am over trying all these prescribed face washes that don't work. I am trying to find more natural things like green tea and olive oil which I have tried and sometimes see results and sometimes don't which leads me to believe that it's not really working. I never really read up on BHA, AHA or anything like that. Can someone please explain to me which is best, how to use it, how much to use and how often to use it?! Also, what is BP?! I have no idea. Someone help! Thank-you! Any details will help. Thank-you so much

AHA = Alpha Hydroxy Acid

BHA = Beta Hydroxy Acid

BP = Benzoyl Peroxide

I have no experience with AHA or BHA, but I use BP in my regime and it seems to work well... If you can, try to get it in a mixture with BP and Erythromycin or Clindamycin, so that your skin doesn't build up resistance to it as easily. Also it's supposed to work more effectively.

AHA = Alpha Hydroxy Acid

BHA = Beta Hydroxy Acid

BP = Benzoyl Peroxide

I have no experience with AHA or BHA, but I use BP in my regime and it seems to work well... If you can, try to get it in a mixture with BP and Erythromycin or Clindamycin, so that your skin doesn't build up resistance to it as easily. Also it's supposed to work more effectively.

Actually according to Dan, it is impossible for your skin to become immune to BP. Just thought I'd say that. :)

Guest Playing_In_Traffic

"How Beta Hydroxy Acid Works

Beta hydroxy acid works mainly as an exfoliant. It causes the cells of the epidermis to become "unglued" allowing the dead skin cells to slough off, making room for regrowth of new skin. Beta hydroxy acid is reported to improve wrinkling, roughness, and mottled pigmentation of photodamaged skin after at least 6 months of daily application. Beta hydroxy acid found in skin-care products works best in a concentration of 1% to 2% and at a pH of 3 to 4.

The Difference Between Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids

The main difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acid is their lipid (oil) solubility. Alpha hydroxy acids are water soluble only, while beta hydroxy acid is lipid (oil) soluble. This means that beta hydroxy acid is able to penetrate into the pore which contains sebum and exfoliate the dead skin cells that are built up inside the pore. Because of this difference in properties, beta hydroxy acid is better used on oily skin with blackheads and whiteheads. Alpha hydroxy acids are better used on thickened, sun-damaged skin where breakouts are not a problem."