Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry to post, but I don't know where else to turn to.

Recently i've been gluten free, so far I have seen no improvements.

I decided to try going gluten free as a few weeks back I started eating whole white bread and soon after I broke out quite severely. This told me that maybe gluten wasn't helping?

So for these past weeks I have been avoiding anything containing gluten, but still I break out and in some cases worse than before.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if there is something in bread that may cause acne other than gluten/wheat or if anyone's acne had gotten worse after going gluten free as i am so confused!

You sure you are not eating gluten?

Besides it doesn't have to be gluten. It can be dairy, different kinds of fruits, eggs etc...

It could also just be that your not really sensitive to anything but just are react really bad to sugar...

I found that going off gluten took a few months to start showing improvement. I've read a lot of books about acne and it seems that acne takes a while to form, so any natural methods (diet, exercise, supplements) will take a while to have a positive effect. Give it 12 weeks max. And in the meantime, see if you enjoy other health benefits. I like not having so much post nasal drip and not getting sleepy immediately after lunch, as I used to.

Like just about any acne treatment, diet changes take a while to take effect. Try to be patient and take the focus off your face if you can (I know it's easier said than done).

@joris thanks, i'm trying my best not too, the only way i could see is maybe contaminated meat (if that even exists). I also tried dairy free with the same results, it got better for around a week then got worse thereafter.

@sooroo thank you for your advice, it's especially hard around this time of year!

thank you for your replies :)

Yeah, it takes weeks for the gut to heal after it has been damaged by gluten/ingesting other intolerable foods.

I would also consider if you are intolerant to anything else?

Dairy, eggs, soy, honey, grapes, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant) aswell as gluten are all my major intolerances (I had an IgG test done).

Also consider if your diet is well balanced? How is your carbs intake? How is your fat intake? Have you balanced your o3 - o6 ratios? Are you having too much iodine?

Acne is a pain in the ass, and unfortunately its a balancing act between ALL of these, for me at least.

If you'd like some more details info feel free to PM me because I was in the same boat as you.

Cheers

Yeah, it takes weeks for the gut to heal after it has been damaged by gluten/ingesting other intolerable foods.

I would also consider if you are intolerant to anything else?

Dairy, eggs, soy, honey, grapes, nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant) aswell as gluten are all my major intolerances (I had an IgG test done).

Also consider if your diet is well balanced? How is your carbs intake? How is your fat intake? Have you balanced your o3 - o6 ratios? Are you having too much iodine?

Acne is a pain in the ass, and unfortunately its a balancing act between ALL of these, for me at least.

If you'd like some more details info feel free to PM me because I was in the same boat as you.

Cheers

Oh and also, listen to alternatevista, probably the most knowledgeable person on the board :)

Sorry to post, but I don't know where else to turn to.

Recently i've been gluten free, so far I have seen no improvements.

I decided to try going gluten free as a few weeks back I started eating whole white bread and soon after I broke out quite severely. This told me that maybe gluten wasn't helping?

So for these past weeks I have been avoiding anything containing gluten, but still I break out and in some cases worse than before.

I was just wondering if anybody knew if there is something in bread that may cause acne other than gluten/wheat or if anyone's acne had gotten worse after going gluten free as i am so confused!

If you want to see your reaction to gluten you must do an Elisa Test

Lima, at the moment (trying gluten free) my diet doesn't vary much. normally having 2 bowls of gluten free cereal and then vegetables and meat for dinner if possible. i've never heard of iodine intake or p3 -6 ratios, but will look into it, thank you.

thanks for the articles alternativista, lots of the things i've never picked up on, especially the glycemic index.

sometimes its not just the gluten, its grains in general which can contribute to acne. You could try cutting out all grains for a little while and see if it does anything. It helped me. But everyones different, i know its frustrating, but you'll figure it out if you keep trying different things I'm sure :)

My most simple advice would be to eat Low GI, with minimal sugar (including high sugar fruits) and plenty of fresh vegies. Try only consuming carbs for breakfast/after exercise and I guaruntee your skin will improve quite alot due to overall reduction in carbs, because remember all carbs end up being converted to simple sugar!

Good luck :)