Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
twinkiling_fairy

Sun beds + severe acne

Ive had severe acne for about 4 years now and I used to use the sunbeds before I started getting acne but stopped once I did as I couldnt bare people seeing me without foundation on. Now my mum is suggesting I use them minimumly to see if it helps with my skin. I know they prematurly age the skin but right now I just want clearer skin and my confidence back.

Have they helped for anyone else?

i've been thinking of tanning myself because i heard it might help with the discoloration of my skin and with the appearance of the scars...

and i have no health insurance so going to a derm is out of the question for the time being and i, like thread starter, want improvement with my skin and self-confidence as sooon as possible... so

how long should i tan for and what kind of Lotion should i use?Put it all over my body or just arms and face?

i only plan on doing it once a week for the first month or so, then i might get some REAL SUN in MIAMI.

tanning is supposed to help fade scars, but its not a solution for acne, sure it dries it up so it goes away for a while, but since it dries up your skin so much. your skin tries to overcompensate by producing to much oil, which after the effects of the tanning go away, will produce worse acne than you had before. so to make your acne stay away youd have to tan constantly, which makes you much more susceptible to cancer.

tanning is supposed to help fade scars, but its not a solution for acne, sure it dries it up so it goes away for a while, but since it dries up your skin so much. your skin tries to overcompensate by producing to much oil, which after the effects of the tanning go away, will produce worse acne than you had before. so to make your acne stay away youd have to tan constantly, which makes you much more susceptible to cancer.

what do you think about being out in the Miami Sun instead of tanning beds then?

and what kind of lotion would you use for your face?

Edited by Sito

Tanning does not "fade" scars or red marks. Temporarily the skin looks more even. As time goes on.... think about it. Those marks are already "darker" than the rest of your skin. Therefore you're shading it darker and darker as time progresses. I have no idea why people still think this to be true.

what do you think about being out in the Miami Sun instead of tanning beds then?

and what kind of lotion would you use for your face?

Im not really an expert on it all, but either way its unhealthy. but, out in the natural sun does give you vitamin D, which tanning beds dont. either way its bad, but i cant say i havent used tanning beds before like big events. so i know how tempting tanning is, hopefully you could find another way to make your acne subside, instead of the sun...also another risk of the sun is making yourself have much more wrinkles when your older.(though in some cases that hasnt been true) how about try something like 20 minutes a day in the real sun? thats what i would do. but of course this is just my opinion on the knowledge that i have. so maybe you could research it a little

its not going to be something you should do long term though, have you tried antibiotics?

maybe Yaz? because its just going to hurt your health to get too much sun.

also the only reason i think that tanning helps fade scars is because my derm told me. of course its possible that its not true, but its certainly worked for me, and it doesnt seem to be temporary.

are you wanting like a spf lotion for when your outside? try anything oil free

if your talking about like a tanning lotion, i dont recommend it, they usually have oils. if you do use them only use them on your body, the one that i use is called "Smile You're Dark" but if you dont wanna chance putting breaking out on your body, maybe just use a nice face lotion on your body, like cerave

i hopes this helps a little:)

Tanning beds are addictive and harmful. And 2x more likely to give you cancer. As others have stated it's not a cure for marks or acne. It can temporarily disguise them a bit- but then you end up going back for more when it fades. Wasting $$ and damaging your skin. It can also spur more acne instead of healing it. Go outside for 15-30 minutes a day. This is much more beneficial than sun beds. I am only saying all this because cancer is very real and sun beds are proven to be extremely dangerous. Don't risk your life or your face.