Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lalelu

My at-home 15% TCA peel: pictures before, during & after

DISCLAIMER:

I´m a somewhat experienced at-home chemical peel user. I routinely use 40% glycolic & 65% lactic acid peels. With TCA, I started out with 8% 2 years ago, and over time worked my way up to 4 layers of 8%. After a year long or so break, I started with a 1 layer 15% TCA peel. Next I did a 2 layer peel. The pictures below are from my 2nd 2 layer peel. As you will see in the pictures, I tolerate 1 layer with almost no frosting at all. 2 layers (each layer gives the peel a 25% strength boost I believe) is as far as I´m willing to go, because I don´t want to take chances. Stronger is not always better!

If you want to try a TCA peel at home, please do extensive research online. Use an appropriate prep regimen of Retin-A or glycolic acid serum to ensure thorough & even penetration of the acid. However, the prep regiment may also cause the peel to go a bit deeper, so for a first try with a low %, a prep regiment is not necessarily needed.

Please purchase the peel solution from a reputable seller (I recommend makeupartistschoice.com). Follow instructions closely, and always start out with the lowest %. A patch test is always a good idea. Use neosporin/bacitracin for 48h after the peel. Never pick at flaking/peeling skin! And finally, sunscreen is a must for several weeks after the peel (but then again, sunscreen should be a must year round anyway)

The pictures may be a bit a scary, but I figured it may be interesting for people to see. Remember this is just MY experience. I´ve used milder peels in the past, and I appear to have quite "tough" skin. Some people even get a lot of irritation & pain from a much lower % of TCA!

I don´t want to advertise at-home TCA peels in this strength at all, getting this done professionally is great if you have any kind of doubts about safety & potential risks. But I think TCA peels are a great way to improve your skintone AFTER you tried milder treatments.

BEFORE:

This is after de-greasing the skin with alcohol to ensure even penetration of the acid & applying Vaseline to lips, around eyes and nostrils for protection. This is the best picture I could take, sorry! I do have minor, but stubborn, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation on my cheeks from cystic acne a few years ago, which you can´t see I think. That is the main reason for me doing these peels. Milder peels & Retin-A user have improve my skin, but the residual stubborn dark marks respond best to TCA peels in my case!!!

before

AFTER 1st LAYER OF 15% TCA:

I experienced (as expected) significant burning & a feeling of heat on my face (aiming a blow drier on low setting and cool temperature helps!), but only minimal redness. Two spots on my face (middle of forehead, and side of chin) frosted.

1 layer

AFTER 2nd LAYER OF 15% TCA: (2nd layer applied 5min after 1st layer)

I experienced significant redness as well as a feeling of heat on my face. I got a pretty even coat of frosting almost everywhere on my face, which is a desired effect of TCA. It looks like a white cast (as on my cheeks & chin) or white dots (forehead) on top of the redness on your skin.

I look sad because you are supposed to keep a straight face during the peel. It actually felt like my cheeks would crack open if I had attempted a smile! Also, the pain & the smell of the acid made my eyes tear up lol. Also, my face was extremely painful to the touch!

(In the picture below I had splashed my face with cool water, which helps the redness & pain to subside faster)

2a

AFTER: (about 30min after the application of the 2nd layer)

The frosting is completely gone, the redness has subsided quite a bit. I would expect my skintone to be back to normal in about 90min after the peel (like it was after my last peel). The pain is entirely gone, I can touch my skin with no problems. And I can smile again now ;)

As recommended, I applied a coat of neosporin to my face after taking this picture.

after

I will continue to post pictures in this thread, but they won´t be very exciting. My skin will start flaking (and peel in some areas) in about 2-3 days from today, and get tight & crepey before it starts flaking. From past experience, my skin will flake for at least 7 days.

Even though some pictures in this thread may be a bit scary, a 15% TCA peel is considered to be in the low to medium range (in professional terms at least believe?), and therefore will cause only flaking and light peeling.

Edited by Lady-Protector

hmmm anyone know why the pictures aren´t showing up? I inserted the direct link URL from my photobucket album, so I don´t know what´s wrong

Hi, I was able to see the pictures by copying and pasting the link into my bar.

And as I am on day 3 of my own 15% TCA peel, I shall monitor yours with interest also :)

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

idk, i tried to do it too once, but it doesnt work that way somehow, sucks..u should just edit and put those links as simply links, so ppl could easier click to see pics

anywaayz, wow u rly brave for showing those pics (peeling stuffs) but hey u so pretty actually, why are u doing those peels anyways? your skin is so clear n all, why? :huh:

idk, i tried to do it too once, but it doesnt work that way somehow, sucks..u should just edit and put those links as simply links, so ppl could easier click to see pics

anywaayz, wow u rly brave for showing those pics (peeling stuffs) but hey u so pretty actually, why are u doing those peels anyways? your skin is so clear n all, why? :huh:

thanks for the advice about the pictures, I edited my post.

Um yeah the pictures are not very flattering haha, but I figured they would be helpful for anyone that´s wondering what frosting looks like, and how red your skin gets during a TCA peel.

Even though the pictures+lighting are kind of forgiving (plus, my areas of main concern are on the side of the cheeks, which you can´t see that well in a frontal shot) I know that I don´t have bad skin. That´s why this is more than likely my last peel at this strength!

I got good improvement of my PIH with Retin-A and lower % TCA & glycolic peels. I just wanted to get rid of the very stubborn residual PIH with the 15% TCA.

I´m not good at taking pictures, so I wasn´t really doing this to show typical before & after shots. Honestly, the improvement from this one single peel will probably not really show up in pictures anyway. It´s the cumulative effect that´s visible, but I don´t have any bare faced pictures from before I started my PIH treatments. I was mainly doing this so show what happens to your face during the peel, because I haven´t been able to find many pictures of this online.

hey :) great skiN!

you said that youve done a lactic acid peel before? im thinking of doing that , but in a lower percentage because its my first ever peel.

how did it work for you? what improvement did you see?

thanks

hey :) great skiN!

you said that youve done a lactic acid peel before? im thinking of doing that , but in a lower percentage because its my first ever peel.

how did it work for you? what improvement did you see?

thanks

supposably lactic acid is great for fading hyperpigmentation (not sure if there is any difference in its results for sunspots compared to PIH though) and it´s supposed to be the most gentle peeling agent. I did see results (improvement of skintone) with lactic as well as glyoclic acid. Nothing overwhelming, but it was good enough for me back then. The lactic however makes my skin itch while it´s on my face, while the glycolic just tingles/burns...which is why I peronally prefer glycolic. Not I use these peels for maintenance, since I´m not getting any improvement with them anymore

If you´ve never done a peel before I believe you will see some results initially! I just kind of hit a plateau after a while, then I added Retin-A to my regimen, which worked the best to fade my PIH. And then TCA got rid of the rest

DAY 3:

The areas that you naturally move most usually peel first. That´s usually the chin, because the area is stretched everytime you open your mouth to talk and eat. I even felt the dead skin layer crack open when I opened my mouth a bit too wide to floss after I had brushed my teeth. In the picture below you can see that the skin cracked open on it´s own.

The rest of my face is shiny, tight and wrinkly in some areas (forehead), and a bit brownish and leathery-looking in other areasy (cheeks)

day 3

DAY 4:

My chin has almost finished peeling, the tempes and inner cheeks are starting to peel. My forehead is always the last area to peel, and right now it´s extremely shiny and "dead looking". When I wrinkle my forehead, I look about 60 years old

day 4

Hello! I see this is quite an old post, but in hopes that you'll respond --

What was the length of time between your first and second layer? Is there a time limit for you, or just when you're satisfied with the frosting?

Hello! I see this is quite an old post, but in hopes that you'll respond --

What was the length of time between your first and second layer? Is there a time limit for you, or just when you're satisfied with the frosting?

According to the MUAC where the op bought her peel you wait 5 mins after the first layer then add another layer after the intial 5 minutes for another additional 5 minutes.