Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skinfree

Why is socially acceptable to tell someone in public that they look red?

So, I have battled acne for about 10 years now, and while I think it's generally under control now, I have to stick to a regime (I feel like a slave to my skin) that leaves my skin red/sun-sensitive/super prone to blushing. People (family, friends, people I just met, strangers...) feel like it's ok to ask questions like, "Did you get some sun?" "You look red" etc., usually in a group setting (getting multiple people talking about it... Despite my obvious discomfort). Now, it would be totally unacceptable for me to say to someone, "Woah, you look like you put on some pounds recently!" or "You look a little fat" or "You're hair is really oily" etc. - so why do people think it's ok to comment on someone's proclivity to blushing/having a red face? AAAh- so annoyed by this. Thanks for listening.

I guess because if they think youve caught the sun, then its an attractive feature, so its sort of a compliment, I guess theyve just got a miss understanding lol

So, I have battled acne for about 10 years now, and while I think it's generally under control now, I have to stick to a regime (I feel like a slave to my skin) that leaves my skin red/sun-sensitive/super prone to blushing. People (family, friends, people I just met, strangers...) feel like it's ok to ask questions like, "Did you get some sun?" "You look red" etc., usually in a group setting (getting multiple people talking about it... Despite my obvious discomfort). Now, it would be totally unacceptable for me to say to someone, "Woah, you look like you put on some pounds recently!" or "You look a little fat" or "You're hair is really oily" etc. - so why do people think it's ok to comment on someone's proclivity to blushing/having a red face? AAAh- so annoyed by this. Thanks for listening.

Because if they didn't ask you that, then you'd be asking why people don't acknowledge you lol!

People love to unnecessarily point out things a person already knows. I was biking to work in 90 degree summer weather and when I got there one of my male coworkers said I was sweating a lot. (on my face) No shit sherlock... and then another time a different guy told me that my makeup wasn't hiding my red face. Even though I wasn't trying to hide because I knew it was from biking in the sun. Douches.

Some people are just really boring and have nothing to say. I typically laugh and say, "Yup, it happens up sometimes," and shrug. That way you're not encouraging said behavior, but not being rude either and said boring person will move on to the next boring topic. "Hey, did you know the sky is blue?"

Some people are just really boring and have nothing to say. I typically laugh and say, "Yup, it happens up sometimes," and shrug. That way you're not encouraging said behavior, but not being rude either and said boring person will move on to the next boring topic. "Hey, did you know the sky is blue?"

I wish I had your confidence. I could never pull off something like that. :redface:

People love to unnecessarily point out things a person already knows. I was biking to work in 90 degree summer weather and when I got there one of my male coworkers said I was sweating a lot. (on my face) No shit sherlock... and then another time a different guy told me that my makeup wasn't hiding my red face. Even though I wasn't trying to hide because I knew it was from biking in the sun. Douches.

I can so relate. People are such douches sometimes.

No matter the excuse, saying such things is just rude and inconsiderate. I hate it when people try to use the "I didn't know you'd get offended, sorry." I mean, were you raised in a barn? In what realm of existence would "Your face... it's so red... What happened?" be considered a compliment?

I know (sadly, not past-tense) a guy who always points out anything wrong with my face.

I had clear skin FOR ONCE. "Dude, you have a red mark in between your eyes. What happened?"h

I, like always, break out. "Why is your nose so pimply? It's gross. I'm just saying, it's grossing me out."

After using antibiotics, my face is red and dry, but actually clear. "Dude, why is your face all dry? Don't you use lotion?"

GOOOOD. I hate him.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously! I'm the EXACT same way. And yes, someone telling me i'm red makes me uncomfortable and sets off a whole nother wave of blushing. I have pretty severe acne (nodular and cystic-ish) and I use Retin A Micro gel as a topical to "try" to stay clear, which is obviously irritating. So I'm not even 90% clear and I have to deal with the redness, cysts, AND stupid people who think its ok to tell me that my cheeks look red or ak why i'm blushing.

WTF?!?!?

I would never do that to someone else?

"You have a really bad makeup line..."

"No I freakin don't its my skin."

Ugh... :( I'm glad atleast you all understand.

Basically, they probrably dont know what it is.

But the thing is, when they point out that your red - YOUR GONNA GO EVEN MORE RED - which sucks.

Remember this though

"When anxiety strikes, fight back with oxygen and FILL THOSE YUMMY LUNGS RIGHT UP!"

-Randomstuffs261 (the great)

Seriously, gulp then breathe in to try help the blushing go down.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I don't know why people think this is okay to comment on. I've been there too.. "Are you sunburnt?" "Get a little sun this weekend?".. I used to work at a bank and customers would often comment on my skin. I remember having a bad pimple on my nose and a customer saying it looked like I got socked in the face. Wow, thanks.

I've also had people congratulate me on my pregnancy (when wearing the empire waist tops).

Bottom line: People are dumb.

Edited by Mollyinoregon

I don't know why people think this is okay to comment on. I've been there too.. "Are you sunburnt?" "Get a little sun this weekend?".. I used to work at a bank and customers would often comment on my skin. I remember having a bad pimple on my nose and a customer saying it looked like I got socked in the face. Wow, thanks.

I've also had people congratulate me on my pregnancy (when wearing the empire waist tops).

Bottom line: People are dumb.

Wow, what a dick. You should have said "I'm sorry, it appears you have no more money in your Savings Account. Would you like to close it?"

Couldn't agree more!!

That's what I always say about ppl who talk about others. They have nothing better to talk about cause they're boring...eg a friend of mine, tho I don't care for her much she forces herself on me bc I'm nice enough to put up w/her. She has no other friends, y? BC she talks about others:)