Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tripleD214

Lets do the damn thing

Alright well im actually on my 3rd day of accutane now. Im 18, and i have pretty much had a problem with acne for 2 years. I am a recovering addict(6 months sober) and during that time i did not have an acne problem, but ever since i left the treatment center my acne has come back and has been pretty stubborn. Finally i had enough of this shit, so i started to do my research on Accutane and after waiting a month i decided to make an appointment with a derm. I went last week and it went well. The derm came in and i told him straight up that im only interested in Accutane. Of course he told me all the other alternatives and shit(ive never used or been on other prescription acne meds), but i told him that i aint trying to mess around with that stuff, i want to pull out the big guns. Like i said i knew what im getting myself into, ive done my research and pretty much read all i need to know about the side effects from top to bottom. I told him straight up that i dont want to waste time on those other meds that i know and he knows for damn sure that cant give the same results as Accutane. So he said lets do the damn thing, and got the nurse to draw my blood and wrote my script for 30mg twice a day for the first month. Not gonna lie was a little easier than i thought but hey im ready and i know what im getting myself into.

Ill post an update everytime i finish a blister pack, so like 5 days. Here is some pics of my current condition.

post-141865-1291598727_thumb.jpg post-141865-1291598847_thumb.jpg post-141865-1291598949_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any replys, and good luck to the others on there journey. It will be a little long but well worth it in the end.

post-141865-1291598727_thumb.jpg

post-141865-1291598847_thumb.jpg

post-141865-1291598949_thumb.jpg

I think you'll see great results. From the pictures you posted your acne looks pretty similar to a lot of people's on here that have seen amazing results.

Congrats on being sober! I've been there, done that, and it wasn't fun. And as far as not trying everything else, it probably doesn't matter. Everything else probably would have worked for a short while and then stopped working. So by going straight to the accutane you're probably just saving yourself a year of antibiotics. But, that's my opinion so I'm sure others will disagree with me...

Good luck! (p.s. I'm on day #19 so slightly ahead of you)

Thank you. And yea thats primarily why i rejected the alternatives. I didnt want to go on antibiotics for it to only work a few months or not at all. But hey best of luck, like i said its gonna be lengthy but i know for sure you and the others on Accutane will be completely satisfied.

BTW what brand did you get prescribed? My derm had prescribed sotret, but when my pharmacy ordered it i guess they only get claravis? no clue exactly how that works but it didnt matter to me i was just eager to get it lol.

Congrats on your sobriety! and good luck on the Accutane, I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you. I was on years and years of antibiotics and honestly it only made things worse in the end because my acne became resistent to it so it just got worse each time....you are very lucky to have an understanding doctor. It took mine 9 years to finally prescribe me accutane!!!!! My derm wrote me out for Amnesteem but the pharmacy gave me Claravis, I don't think it really matters what brand it is. I think Claravis is the most common one used though.

I was prescribed clavaris, which I got for the first month and then the pharmacy gave me amnesteem the next time I went in so I called my derm and asked if that was okay and she told me as long as it's isotrentinoin then I'm fine :D

Good luck :)

Oh okay. Thank you and good luck to you too!

Another thing real quick, is when you started did you have any headaches? I know that thats one of the side affects, but if you did have them did they subside after a few weeks or so?

i love your log title ~ let's do the damn thing! straight up, man! :) i just wanted to pop in here and wish good luck to you!

and congrats on your six months sober! that's awesome. i struggle very hard w/ controlling my drinking (not such a great thing on accutane :\), so my hat is off to you.

Thanks to everyone that has posted or that maybe following my log.

Well i finished my FIRST blister pack of Claravis yesterday, and just wanted to update my progress on Accutane. Again incase you might not have read above im on 30mg of Claravis TWICE a day, so 60mg.

I kind of feel like im starting/ going through the IB. Since i started i have had an increase in actives(about 5-7 new ones since i started) and just others that ive already had that have surfaced. To be honest im not bummed out at all that i maybe going through the IB a week into starting. I rather get that out of the way as soon as possible, so it doesnt bother me at all. Like they say it will get worse before it gets better!

As far as side effects:

Dryness

Chapped lips, dry peeling skin with some sensitive areas that sting if i touch or press on them and my skin gets kinda itchy around my main acne areas(cheeks). My eyes get real dry aswell

Headaches

I have been dealing with some headaches that i never had prior to starting the treatment. Im hoping that i wont have to deal with the headaches for the course or atleast for a long time, although i have read some posts where the headaches go away after a couple weeks into the treatment.

And one other thing is maybe a little extra tiredness or lathargic feeling? I dont know if that related to the Accutane or work lol, since others have reported trouble falling asleep in some cases? I dont know just thought i would note that.

Here are some pics after finishing the first pack.(i had just finished washing my face so they're a little more red than usual)

post-141865-1291876334_thumb.jpg post-141865-1291876370_thumb.jpg post-141865-1291876425_thumb.jpg

post-141865-1291876334_thumb.jpg

post-141865-1291876370_thumb.jpg

post-141865-1291876425_thumb.jpg

I definitely have the headaches. My dermatologist said a lot of people's headaches are caused by dry eyes, even if you eyes don't "feel" dry, try putting some more lubricating drops in them and see if it helps. It didn't really help me but it may help you :) Also, make sure you are adrinking a CRAP ton of water. I'm really bad about this and pretty sure that's why I'm having headaches and whatnot.

As for the tiredness that's definitely the accutane. I've had trouble sleeping since I started it and that is causing tiredness all day. But even though I have trouble sleeping I just want to lay in my bed all day. I'm so tired.... but keep waking up and falling back asleep.

Hope this helps :D