Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rogueone

I'd like some advice on prescription treatments...

Hi everyone,

This is a little long because it's my first post and I want to give a bit of background, but if you want to skip to the end, I really just want to know what options you typically have in the UK for prescription medication, excluding anything based on benzoyl peroxide (which is useless in my experience) and accutane (which I only want to try if nothing else works).

Anyway, I'm male and 28 years old. I have had acne constantly since I was about 14. Most of the time it's only been moderately bad, occasionally getting worse for a few weeks. It tends to be a mix of blackheads/whiteheads and larger red lumps/areas plus some dry skin. Although it's never been anywhere close to being as bad as some people on here have experienced, it has still had a massive impact on my life. I have no self-confidence and hate the way I look. I also have severe depression, and the acne is one of the major causes of it. Some days I don't go to work because I just can't face going outside looking like I do. If I have to go out, I do my best not to look anyone in the face, which is pretty difficult during meetings. I avoid talking to people whenever I can because I simply don't want them looking at me during conversations, so I essentially have no friends and no relationships outside my family.

I originally thought it might go away once I was out of my teens, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I seem to have stopped getting the frequent massive red lumpy spots on my face I used to see, but all the other symptoms are still visible.

I also get incredibly frustrated at how quickly new spots can develop - almost every morning I'll find a new one (or two, or three...) somewhere. Even worse, I often have whiteheads appear during the day - I check myself in the mirror before leaving and when I get home every day, and I use my phone screen as a mirror whenever I can at work just to try and keep track of what my bloody face is doing. It's horrible to get home after being on a packed train and a packed bus to find you've got a large whitehead on your chin that simply wasn't there 2 hours before.

I've tried most of the over-the-counter medications at one point or another, none of them really seemed to make any difference at all. I've tried washing my face in various different ways at various different frequencies, again no difference. I've tried eating healthier and getting more exercise (I've lost over 4 stone in a little over a year), but again it hasn't solved the problem.

I'm planning to go and see my GP again soon, and would like some advice on what I should say to him. The only time I went before, I was given Duac, which is one of the many benzoyl peroxide based creams that only seems to be good for producing an extremely strong smell. I'd already tried similar products, but I used it anyway for 6 or 7 weeks until it ran out, and it didn't help me at all. I don't want to waste my time with anything similar, but I don't want to go straight to accutane either. Are there other oral antibiotic treatments typically offered in the UK? Or other alternatives I don't know about? Has anyone else had good results from them in a similar situation to me?

Edited by rogueone

Hello, I totally feel your pain, I have been there and back. I've been fighting acne on-off for 20 years. From my experience it sounds like you really need to go see a dermatologist and talk to him about your options. Your problem may just be more then simple acne, and you could be using the wrong over the counter products. Some over the counter products can have way too much alcohol, benzoyl peroxide or alpha-hydroxy acids that can irritate the skin and make the acne worst. Including scrubs, what ever you don’t scrub your skin with a harsh scrub or use a scrub pads, they will irritate the skin and bacteria can get in the pads/wash clothes, etc. Never rub hard or scrub your skin, that came directly from my derm (also keep you hands off your face, that just adds dirt and oil)

I have taken Accutane twice and after the second time I finally gotten results. Yes Accutane does have side effects but they may or may not effect you like some else has. The only side effects I had was very bad dry skin on my face, hands and nails. But that doesn't last forever. What I remember, Accutane is a short term drug only maybe 3-6 months, if that. Do your research and see a good dermatologist. There are also other meds out there too that the Derm will probably have you try first, along with topical lotions and wash to help control the bacteria that causes the acne. I wish you the best of luck, the best thing to do is to see a professional to get good results.

Hi everyone,

This is a little long because it's my first post and I want to give a bit of background, but if you want to skip to the end, I really just want to know what options you typically have in the UK for prescription medication, excluding anything based on benzoyl peroxide (which is useless in my experience) and accutane (which I only want to try if nothing else works).

Anyway, I'm male and 28 years old. I have had acne constantly since I was about 14. Most of the time it's only been moderately bad, occasionally getting worse for a few weeks. It tends to be a mix of blackheads/whiteheads and larger red lumps/areas plus some dry skin. Although it's never been anywhere close to being as bad as some people on here have experienced, it has still had a massive impact on my life. I have no self-confidence and hate the way I look. I also have severe depression, and the acne is one of the major causes of it. Some days I don't go to work because I just can't face going outside looking like I do. If I have to go out, I do my best not to look anyone in the face, which is pretty difficult during meetings. I avoid talking to people whenever I can because I simply don't want them looking at me during conversations, so I essentially have no friends and no relationships outside my family.

I originally thought it might go away once I was out of my teens, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I seem to have stopped getting the frequent massive red lumpy spots on my face I used to see, but all the other symptoms are still visible.

I also get incredibly frustrated at how quickly new spots can develop - almost every morning I'll find a new one (or two, or three...) somewhere. Even worse, I often have whiteheads appear during the day - I check myself in the mirror before leaving and when I get home every day, and I use my phone screen as a mirror whenever I can at work just to try and keep track of what my bloody face is doing. It's horrible to get home after being on a packed train and a packed bus to find you've got a large whitehead on your chin that simply wasn't there 2 hours before.

I've tried most of the over-the-counter medications at one point or another, none of them really seemed to make any difference at all. I've tried washing my face in various different ways at various different frequencies, again no difference. I've tried eating healthier and getting more exercise (I've lost over 4 stone in a little over a year), but again it hasn't solved the problem.

I'm planning to go and see my GP again soon, and would like some advice on what I should say to him. The only time I went before, I was given Duac, which is one of the many benzoyl peroxide based creams that only seems to be good for producing an extremely strong smell. I'd already tried similar products, but I used it anyway for 6 or 7 weeks until it ran out, and it didn't help me at all. I don't want to waste my time with anything similar, but I don't want to go straight to accutane either. Are there other oral antibiotic treatments typically offered in the UK? Or other alternatives I don't know about? Has anyone else had good results from them in a similar situation to me?