Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ballsoftitanium

Could acne be psychosomatic?

Obviously it isn't 100% but i can't help but feel that thinking about having acne and knowing that you have it and worrying about it is actually causing it.

Like after you've had it for so long its all you know so you just come to expect it and because you expect it you get it.

Every time my skin starts to clear up a little bit i think "oh this is probably too good to be true" and the next day i'll have another breakout.

Barring a few months of clear skin when i was on accutane i've had acne for 14 years and i still don't really know what is causing it.

Isn't it bad enough to have this problem without worrying about it even more? What can you do when you can't help worrying about it?

Can you imagine someone famous with a big honking zit on their face? I can't, no one famous or successful has acne.

I also hate it when people say, "oh you've got it good, what if you were starving, or had your leg blown off"

Ever notice these people always have clear skin?

I would rather be 100 lbs overweight but not have any acne. At least you can drop the weight and move on with your life. With acne it dogs you no matter where you go or what you do, it is almost impossible to fight it because you don't know how to fight it.

I can't live a normal life anymore. Drinking breaks me out. Pizza breaks me out. Anything with dairy or sugar in it breaks me out. Coffee breaks me out. Masturbation breaks me out.

I'm 26, why do i still have this problem? I eat way healthier than my peers but still have a lot more acne than them, no place on my body is safe, now i'm even getting on my abs. Wow, thanks a lot, now instead of having a body to be proud of anyone who looks at me is just going to see a bunch of red spots and think i'm a freak.

Last night i went out and had some pizza and a few drinks with a couple friends, today i woke up with a bunch of new zits on my thighs. WTF? Who the fuck gets acne on their thighs?

Fuck my life.

Hahaha dear friend settle down. Hey look at Jessica Simpson, she had acne. Many "famous" people have had acne. Who wants to be Jessica Simpson anyway? Who wants to have their life filled with drama cameras and bull shit? Don't say fuck your life, it's all you have. Our disease is a very complex situation. Yes I have also said I'd rather be overweight then have acne, but hey we were all meant to go down this road.

We are different then everyone else in the world. We experience daily living from a perspective that no one else does. Not being comfortable in your own skin is truly sad. It's because we live in a world of materialistic people who care more about image then living life itself. You are correct, the mind is a very powerful creation. I have no doubts that negative thinking leads to more problems and visa versa. That's why many come home after vacations and camping trips and find their skin looks better. This is most likely caused by not looking in a mirror! Constantly looking at your reflection, criticizing yourself is poison to the brain! You will have that edged into your brain that your ugly!

Don't care about acne so much, be happy that your alive and healthy. We complain about having spots on our face, what if you were deaf or blind? If god came to you and told you that he would heal your loss of sense, but the catch was that you would have some acne problems, would you still be saying fuck my life?

Never let it get you down. It doesn't matter how many zits you have on your face, as long as your smiling, people will be truly happy for you seeing that you are happy. A person frowning with acne looks like a sad depressed person, and people see your problems. A smile covers more then any make up can..

chronic "stress/anxiety" is probably related to many diseases that exist in some way.

you may have to change your ideas about what the term "cause" stands for as well. take cancer for instance, the "cause" could be exposure to carcinogens which damage the cell, but even that isnt enough to create full blown cancer, because your immune system can catch cancer cells and destroy them(natural killer cells) before they grow into tumors. natural killers cells function and quantity in the body is dependant upon certain nutrients, like selenium and vitamin d. Stress also can affect the way your immune system functions. so all these things can be "causes" of cancer.

you could start to look at acne in a similar way i suppose although there are some major differences, its all about whether or not your entire body is functioning optimally, to break a disease down to just the immediate area(reductionist vs holistic) is not enough to fully understand something.

i truly believe that stress is perhaps the most important element of any disease, because it determines how well and deep you sleep, as well as how well your digestive system functions. alot of healing and repair mechanisms happen in deep sleep, which science may not be able to fully understand for some time, let alone utilize it for a treatment for diseases and incorporate it into mainstream "medicine".

i believe mental phenomena of the mind, to be true "causes" of disease in this indirect way. Understanding what your moods are determined by, and keeping your self in a certain state of mind, is the goal of all life, and this will bring you good health. focus on changing your "mood", perhaps even above and beyond changing your "acne" its a more holistic way of seeing the working of the human body, rather then just reducing health and disease down to something we refer to as "acne". our language and the terminology we have made up has divided things up too much and sometimes it helps us gain a different perspective and understanding, and sometimes not. WE have divided the body into parts, GOD has not, we see boundaries where there arent any. we need a more connected view of the human body. i suppose thats what the "holistic" movement really is. a different philosophy, a new way of looking at an old problem without any assumptions about how anythings works at all.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Stress is a massive cause in EVERY disease - its on par with smoking in terms of damage.

They are most definately related and that is a fact. Mind and body are connected, so it only makes sense. Psychoimmunology involves the connection between the mind and how it affects your health and wellbeing.

Stress/depression/anxiety etc all release hormones such as cortisol, adrenaline etc which all obviously has an effect on the body, especially inflamation.

What you can do to help is not look in a mirror, its as simple as that. You can't get upset about something you don't know is there. After a little while you literally forget you have acne.

Keep eating, sleeping and exercising and it will sort itself out.

Stress is a massive cause in EVERY disease - its on par with smoking in terms of damage.

They are most definately related and that is a fact. Mind and body are connected, so it only makes sense. Psychoimmunology involves the connection between the mind and how it affects your health and wellbeing.

Stress/depression/anxiety etc all release hormones such as cortisol, adrenaline etc which all obviously has an effect on the body, especially inflamation.

What you can do to help is not look in a mirror, its as simple as that. You can't get upset about something you don't know is there. After a little while you literally forget you have acne.

Keep eating, sleeping and exercising and it will sort itself out.

on the other hand, looking in the mirror is the only way you will see how any dietary changes are reflected in your skin. Beyond this function, not looking in the mirror is very good advice once you have exhausted how dietary changes are reflected in your skin. diet is perhaps 50% of the equation, of course that number isnt precise, i just had to through something out there.

your constant awareness of your acne and its social implication for your life and survival in this world, make you perform worse in those social situations and only add to the associated anxiety/fear/anticpation of your own idea of threats and danger to your well being. reducing this awareness will lower your anxiety a bit, setting aside a time to "think" about acne is preferable to ALWAYS thinking about acne and NEVER thinking about acne. allocate a time and place, a small amount of time. Pleasure and your real safety and security needs should take up the majority of your time, "pleasure" is healthy, define it for yourself and pursue it the most. spending time with good friends is the healthiest thing you could do.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I will try to not look at myself in the mirror anymore.

But the problem is not really on my face, my face is pretty good, its mostly on my body in places that are fairly hard to avoid when i've got a shirt off.

I will also try to stop thinking about it but that might be hard, i've got a lot of free time...

The most important thing to remember is your friends will always accept you as you are. They don't like you because of the way you look but because of how you make them feel. The problem is realising this, and thet thoughts of anyone but people close to you just don't matter.

Its a point i've missed after all these years but as ever, its much easier said than done.

The "Fuck my life" reminded me of this:

When my acne was its worse I thought I'd rather be dead than deal with it. I had really given it all I could and still failed. Things got a bit better when I just chilled the fuck out. Now I just look like an average teenager with some pimples, even though I'm 23. This shit has totally broken me, and broken my broken pieces into hundreds of little pieces all over again. That's how I feel. Whatever happens it has already fucked me up mentally pretty good. Your signature "Acne is a puzzle. Solve it and it will make you a stronger and better person." is BS too lol... It hasn't made me stronger, it has made me a numb sociopath that doesn't give a flying fuck about anything.

Have you thought about totally changing your environment? At least for a while? Most diseases are caused by the surrounding environment. It's worth a shot.

Besides stress aggravating inflammation,paranoia can make a bad situation seem worse.

If you have a terrible view of how you look,the instant you look in the mirror you're going to see something that's worse than it actually is.

I've had days where I don't feel great about myself,and I thought my acne was looking worse as a result...until my husband told me if it really was worse or not lol. He's brutally honest,so I can trust him on these things.

It really makes sense to me.

Your mental health is important for your physical health,too. It's one of the first things you learn in a psychology class.

Hesitation

Maybe you are right that having acne doesn't make you a better person. In fact now that i think about it that's kind of a stupid thing to say. I know i would be a better person if i didn't have fucked up skin.

I guess it was just a rationalization that i came up with to try to make things seem not so depressing.

I am trying to change my environment but i don't really have too many ideas about where else i could go. It is something i need to do though, i just don't know how i would do it at this point.

Acne does make you stronger.

Going through any crisis makes you stronger in the end. Everybody has to feel a low to feel a high.

You guys have to think outside yourselves. You talk like your the only person on the planet with acne. Yes when you look around in your daily life it seems rare, but look at this site. All of us. We have all walked in the shoes of acne. I had a really long talk with my mom on the phone the other day. She was telling me about how she had her usual breakout under her nose. It's the only place on her body she ever gets a zit, and it comes back like annually every year. She was telling me how she wakes up in the morning feeling great. Then the second she looks in the mirror, a giant cloud forms over her. She wants to shut down. Wants to be alone. Wants no one to see her, and wants to be in a room until it goes away.

Everyone she works with and my dad tell her its all in her head. As it is incredibly small. I told her imagine waking up and seeing that all over your face. The thoughts that go through your mind. The state of mind you become when you see that image. She kept telling me "I know I know, I don't know how you do it!.." and I told her because I have to. I have no other choice. It's either surrender to an image flaw and surrender my ENTIRE life...or simply go through my day smiling as if I have the most beautiful skin anyone has ever seen.

Don't make the choice of surrender. Don't waste your time. You will see the beauty behind the battle in the end..it's all in your head! You must believe!

There are so many variables in what makes you a better person...

Genetics play a small part in how your personality develops too. Then there's countless environmental factors.

I think happiness is a choice. There's some people with awkward skeletal frames,screwy noses,and other varies features that are considered unattractive. Those people just have to get used to the fact they are never going to attain those mainstream attributes of beauty. You can either cry and become depressed over it,or you can see that there's a heck of a whole lot more to live and you're missing out.

So yeah,maybe having zits all over your face is unattractive.Some people are thin and lankey,morbidly obese,have a crooked nose,broken teeth....and it sucks,but we have to deal with it.Being depressed and beauty obsessed will just make them miserable.

I have no more choice in how i feel than a rock does about whether or not it wants to fall if someone drops it.

I don't have the ability to delude myself into thinking everything is great even when my skin looks like shit.

People notice it, you can't say they don't. You can have the best attitude in the world but if you got a face full of pimples people will still find you unattractive and no girl is going to want to be with you.

My face is pretty good right now but for some reason i'm breaking out like a motherfucker on my legs (like 10 large new spots) and i don't know why.

It just makes me feel so fucking ugly and uncomfortable.

There are so many variables in what makes you a better person...

Genetics play a small part in how your personality develops too. Then there's countless environmental factors.

I think happiness is a choice. There's some people with awkward skeletal frames,screwy noses,and other varies features that are considered unattractive. Those people just have to get used to the fact they are never going to attain those mainstream attributes of beauty. You can either cry and become depressed over it,or you can see that there's a heck of a whole lot more to live and you're missing out.

So yeah,maybe having zits all over your face is unattractive.Some people are thin and lankey,morbidly obese,have a crooked nose,broken teeth....and it sucks,but we have to deal with it.Being depressed and beauty obsessed will just make them miserable.

lanky=gain some weight

obese=lose some weight

crooked nose=nose job

broken teeth=get them capped

acne=???????????????????

all those other problems have CLEAR, and OBVIOUS solutions, acne does not.

Happiness is not a choice, this isn't a multiple choice test where you circle an answer and instantly you feel better.

Something real has to happen to MAKE you happy.

acne= get your face shot with lasers regularly. I'm sure that's what rich celebrities do.That and accutane.

It also takes money to get any plastic surgery.Obesity can be linked to thyroid and genetic issues,too.

Also,when I say lanky, that entails the person also having those long arms and legs.Think of some nerds. You can't fix that with weight gain.

You are obviously making yourself miserable with what you said in your counter argument. You isolated acne as the only condition that can't be fixed,when there are countless other beauty issues that can't be fixed without plastic surgery. Your mind is automatically focusing on the negative,instead of thinking of positives.

You are unhappy because you have acne,yet I've met people with acne that ARE happy. I knew this one guy who had a face full of them,and every time he stuck to a diet or was very strict with topical products it would clear right up. However,that lifestyle was holding him back from things he enjoyed,so he gave it up. He was a very chipper person.

Happiness IS a choice.Nobody is making you miserable,it's how you're responding to it. Acne isn't making you miserable,it's how you're responding to it.

There are tons of things you could be enjoying to help you get your focus off of your skin and move on with your life. It's your choice to do them.

You said that stuff has to happen to make you happy.So get off your ass and do them.Take up some hobbies that get you out of the house,go to college,travel,learn another language,go camping,go fishing...there's countless things for you to do in your life to have fun and be happy with.

You can't expect to just sit around and wait for something good to happen to you.You have to be proactive.

I think i actually have Pityrosporum Folliculitis and not acne.

I saw some pictures and thats exactly what my skin looks like in certain places. They say you don't normally get it on your face but more on your chest and upper arms which are two problem areas for me so that's probably what it is.

It makes sense that i would have this, i have taken antibiotics in the past and oral steroids which are known to make this problem worse.

This is actually caused by a yeast and not bacteria, and it isn't actually acne per say.

I feel a lot better knowing what it is and how i can attack this.

I will go out tomorrow and see if i can find some topical and oral antifungals to fight this

Thank you everyone who tried to cheer me up, hopefully i won't need to be posting in here too much more.

all those other problems have CLEAR, and OBVIOUS solutions, acne does not.

Happiness is not a choice, this isn't a multiple choice test where you circle an answer and instantly you feel better.

Something real has to happen to MAKE you happy.

Damn. Stop and think to yourself man. You are way to obsessed with being perfect. Like I say everything happens for a reason. Looks like you were put through this to realize that simple fact. It's the imperfection in all of us which makes us perfect, remember that.

Something has to happen to create happiness? WRONGO. Way off. Just like the girl above me said, you can't ever..EVER expect happiness to find you. The only way your ever going to find happiness is through YOURSELF. Not in a fancy car or big house, it's the internal satisfaction you desire. It's the overall well being inside you. Always remember that love is the greatest way to help lead you to internal satisfaction. By that I don't mean sex in the slightest way. And I don't want to make myself sound like some grand teacher, I'm just passing my knowledge onto someone who could really use it.

Spend time with others, spread the love, give to those you can. Remember giving shouldn't be about money, it's about going out of your way to spend time with someone who could cherish your existance. It's all in your heart buddy. You must let go of all your hatred and jealously first, and then move onto healing your own self to reach internal happiness.

I have no more choice in how i feel than a rock does about whether or not it wants to fall if someone drops it.

I don't have the ability to delude myself into thinking everything is great even when my skin looks like shit.

People notice it, you can't say they don't. You can have the best attitude in the world but if you got a face full of pimples people will still find you unattractive and no girl is going to want to be with you.

My face is pretty good right now but for some reason i'm breaking out like a motherfucker on my legs (like 10 large new spots) and i don't know why.

It just makes me feel so fucking ugly and uncomfortable.

you have the right to not like acne. you have a right to decide what you like and what you do not like, its your duty and responsibility in life to make those decisions for yourself.

Guest Timehealsall

This is interesting to say the least... but what really irks me and what i really want to know is....

If you get a big pustule or pimple, or a series of pustules and pimples, and you stress over them and think they are going to scar, but you eat healthy or well, you sleep well etc, will they still scar? I.e., can you psychosomatically make acne scar?

Can you imagine someone famous with a big honking zit on their face? I can't, no one famous or successful has acne.

If you mean they don't often appear in public with a pizza face, well yeah, most acne is manageable. There's also this little thing called make-up....

Edited by pegz

There is absolutely a physical cause to acne.

BUT. We are the creators of our life. We attract our circumstances to us. And stress is very bad for the body, will further inflame whatever conditions you have going on.

So even though there is a physical cause, your stress/negative expectation (if life has always sucked and you've always had skin problems why would you expect it to change now?) could be blocking you from finding out the true cause and actually getting to healing. That was the case for me, for years. I began working with EFT therapy and discovered that I hated myself and didn't really expect or think I deserved to find an answer. I worked on this with the tapping procedure and felt this amazing energy lift. For the first time in my life, I began to see that my stress and negativity was keeping me down.

A month after I began that theraputic process, I discovered that my acne was because of food sensitivities due to a messed up autoimmune system. I began removing the problem foods and my skin began clearing finally, after years and years and years of suffering.

For more info on how all this stuff works I suggest the films "Try it on Everything" (About EFT therapy) and "The Secret" (about how we create our lives with our thoughts).