Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T Gleeky

Tired of Regimen

Ive been on the regimen for about 3 months and I am beginning to become exhausted of doing it everymorning(i have to wake up extremely early because of school). I was wondering what the best post-regimen options there are to remain clear. Before the regimen I had moderate acne..now I am clear but i am flaky and get maybe a pimple every two weeks.

Additional info- I'm 17 and a male.

Also, if i want to begin using just a cleanser two times a day...should i just stop the regimen one morning and instead use the cleanser of my choice or should i wait a couple days?

Any cleansers recommended for teenagers my age?

Your feedback is much appreciated!

thanks.

I'm 16 and starting month 5 and yes, it's a pain in the ass. If you're willing, some clear people just wash and moisturize for the morning, and do the full regimen at night. OR, another option is to lower your dose of BP, hence it dries faster, hence a faster process. It's up to you really.

As for your second question, are you planning to use a different cleanser than the one you're using now if you're planning to just cleanse twice a day? I wouldn't recommend going from a twice a day medicating regimen to JUST cleanser... especially not immediately. Some cleansers people like are Cetaphil Gentle, CeraVe hydrating, Basis Sensitive Skin Bar, Purpose Gentle, Clean & Clear Foaming, or Netrogena Extra Gentle. Wow, a lot have the word "gentle" on them.

http://www.acne.org/acne-products-guide.html

I was on the regimen for 6+ months last year and stopped because I thought somehow I didn't need it anymore. Then my acne slowly but surely came back. Not as bad as it used to be, but still bad enough I now have to get back on the regimen for months to get clear again. If you want my advice, just buckle down and wash your face first thing in the morning, and incorporate the rest of the regimen into your morning. It's not worth getting your acne back and then having to start over for months to get clear skin back.

To be perfectly honest, there are no post-regimen options to keep your skin clear. If you stop doing the regimen, your acne will come back. So you have to decide which is more important to you, having clear skin or making more time to do the regimen.

You can try doing what I do. I eat my breakfast while my moisturizer dries. That way I don't have to get up so early. Try doing other things while your BP and moisturizer are drying. This will help you not have to get up as early.

Like everybody else has said, if the regimen has cleared you up, you have to continue doing it in order to maintain your clear skin. I absolutely don't mean this in a harsh way (it's kind of hard to convey tone in a message board post) but don't become complacent and take your clear skin for granted or you'll end up back where you were before the regimen started working for you. :(

I know it's exhausting work but eventually it does become second nature, you just have to remember that it's doing you a lot of good. Such is the life of the acne-inflicted, eh?

I sit in front of my pedestal fan and dry my BP quicker that way. :D

OP,

Everyone reaches this stage at some point and the sad truth is there is no post regimen. If your skin isn't ready to be acne free by itself (and i'm almost 100% sure it isn't 3 months after you started ANY regimen) you will just break out again when you stop. I have been on this for almost 2 years and 3 months ago i tried to stop using the regimen just to see if i could. The appropriate way to stop the regimen is to phase it out. I started doing the regimen once a day instead of twice. I knew from past experiences that there was a 95% chance i'd still be clear and i was correct. I then started doing it every other day. This worked pretty good for 2 weeks. I then started to only do the face wash twice a day. This worked good for another week and then it started. Small little bumps would come up over night and then most of them would go away in a day. Bumps would pop up in the middle of the day and then they'd go away by the next morning. I thought...this isnt' so bad, i'll just wait it out..maybe my skin's just adjusting. About a week later I started to get real pimples forming and they actually left minor scars that just recently went away.

The point of all of this is you need to ask yourself the question, "what is clear skin worth to me?" I know there are hundreds of people on this site that would do ANYTHING if it meant they'd have clear skin. Some people would spend 2 hours every morning and evening doing stuff if it meant they would remain clear. I guess your priorities are different than most acne suffers but waking up early is a small price to pay. Please don't stop doing what you are doing because if you do you will break out just like you did in the beginning. If you thought acne was bad before wait until you've had semi clear skin and then have a bad break out. It feels 20 times worse. Good luck.

heya,

Mine came creeping back after I phased out a bp regime (similar to Dans) after a year...

Its okay to miss an application or two but taking the time to do it is well worth it when you realize how much time and stress you take up when your face was not clear. I now don't worry that people are staring at my acne or whether to go out or not because of my skin - Im much more confident and stopped feeling like crap in general. And that my friend means the regimen actually freed up alot of my time. been on it for 3.5 months.

Guest Timehealsall

if the regimen works, id stick to it. What is wasting 20 minutes a day for clear skin..

Also to most of the people who posted in here, did you guys suffer from acne for a long period of time before going on the regimen, or did you recently start getting acne and then went on the regimen? I want to know this because i wanna see if it has kept people clear who have been breaking out for 5-6 years ++