Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatAnnaGirl

Either skin picking or my self confidence must go.

This is ridiculous. I've picked and picked and I'll probably have scars. I have got to stop picking. Right here, right now, I will not pick ONE MORE TIME.

Here are pictures, if you would like to start this journey with me feel free to post some as well.

post-120146-1291514245_thumb.jpg

post-120146-1291514298_thumb.jpg

post-120146-1291514412_thumb.jpg

I will update at least once a week, if not several times, with pictures of my improvement (or failure). Good luck, everyone!

post-120146-1291514245_thumb.jpg

post-120146-1291514298_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

I have tried to stop before and it's nearly impossible for me. I hate whiteheads. Best of luck though. You have really pretty eyes by the way.

I have tried to stop before and it's nearly impossible for me. I hate whiteheads. Best of luck though. You have really pretty eyes by the way.

I know, whiteheads are the WORST. And thanks, compliments like that are a lifesaver to my drowning self esteem right now. ;)

hey there before you do anything go to ------stoppickingonme.com ---- you'll find it very helpful!!!!! it really helped me!!! good luck!! let me know how your doing =)

Hey Anna!

I wish you the best in your journey to fight this goddam picking, and you're already on your way by addressing it now! if you ever feel the urge to pick just go back to why you want to stop and think of all those times you've picked how you've felt afterwards, its NEVER worth it! I'm a sort of ex-picker but my skin was A LOT worse than yours including my arms and now there are just a few red marks and scars which means your skin can recover too! Expect to get some big pimples but DO NOT PICK THEM!! they DO sod off!

You CAN do this and you are NOT alone! Good luck!

p.s. you have beautiful eyes btw

goodluck with your journey! i always get fussed at about picking in my face ill just call it a bad habit. i wait tables and if i have a white head or a really deep black head i pick at my face and do whatever i can to pop them, i regret it later on but i cant stand the thought of having white pimples all over my face. but if you put your mind to it you can deff do it!! best of luck to u again maam

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I can see you got good skin, a youthful pretty face. Also think why you wanna mess that up since in months or years to come it may be too late. it may be hard to think that you are pretty but you really are.

You'll see a difference in a week and I wish you well! :)

let us know how you're doing .

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Sorry I haven't updated... I've been really discouraged about my lack of progress. One step forwards, two steps back.

Guest Timehealsall

wow, judging from your photos, you have no pitted scarring.

Stop picking please!

wow, judging from your photos, you have no pitted scarring.

Stop picking please!

You're right. I've been picking for a couple years now and I have zero scarring. Just a few red marks that fade quickly.

Here's an update everyone!

I had a bit of a relapse (nobody's perfect) but for the most part am skin-picking free on my face. It's mainly my arms and back I still pick, but I'm working on that. You have to celebrate the little victories. I had a shoot this week, and a phenomenal makeup artist covered the little imperfects, but this picture is Photoshop FREE. My face is almost clear!

post-120146-1296696884_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

I had a bit of a relapse (nobody's perfect) but for the most part am skin-picking free on my face. It's mainly my arms and back I still pick, but I'm working on that. You have to celebrate the little victories. I had a shoot this week, and a phenomenal makeup artist covered the little imperfects, but this picture is Photoshop FREE. My face is almost clear!

Absolutely gorgeous -- huge gratz on getting over your skin-picking problem, you're an inspiration to everyone else. :D

Absolutely gorgeous -- huge gratz on getting over your skin-picking problem, you're an inspiration to everyone else. :D

Thank you! I've found two things that helped a lot. I hope they help someone else.

1. Instead of letting my fingers roam over my face to find a stop to pick, I replaced that habit with something like playing with my fingernails. Be careful not to let it develop into a cuticle-picking habit... been there, done that!

2. So you picked a spot. It's inevitable that you will make mistakes. I like to cover mine with neospirin and a round bandaid when I'm at home (which is when I pick the most). Touching the unfamiliar texture of the bandaid when you were expecting a spot really jolts you out of that "mindless picking mode" and makes you aware of what you're doing.

I hope my story is a help, and I'll try and update on my shoulder/back picking. Still got a long ways to go... but I WILL wear that strapless dress to prom and be PROUD! :dance:

Oh. My. Goodness. That picture is beautiful!! You are gorgeous! Please stop picking! Im trying to quit as well... I know its hard. By the way what is your skincare routine? I think my not-so-great skincare routine partly contributes to my bad skin.

But its great to have this support system on here. All we need right now is some positive energy and support from people like us. Im rooting for you! And wish me luck... I had a little relapse tonight and im trying to get back on track.

Have a great pick-free day! :)

you look amazing, great job! Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes with the back/shoulder picking. Been there, done that, too.

I have the same problem with picking my skin and I have been trying to stop. I was just going to tell you how even in the first two pictures the first thing that I noticed were your amazing eyes! /jealous :P But then I see that you have also stopped your picking and you have cleared up which is amazing! Definitely inspires me to stop picking me skin, so thank you :)

I have the same problem with picking my skin and I have been trying to stop. I was just going to tell you how even in the first two pictures the first thing that I noticed were your amazing eyes! /jealous :P But then I see that you have also stopped your picking and you have cleared up which is amazing! Definitely inspires me to stop picking me skin, so thank you :)

I'm so glad. Good luck, you can do it!

My face looks great... but my back, chest, and arms seem to have gotten even worse. It's like I focused all my attention on them instead of my face. I need to find something to keep my fingers busy instead of mindless picking.

Here are some pictures of my trouble areas. This is the worst it's ever been, and senior prom is less than two months away! I have a gorgeous STRAPLESS dress. I can't decide whether slathering on AHA+ or just moisturizer with jojoba oil would be better at this point. *sigh*

WARNING: It's bad, it's ugly, it's my skin! :doubt:

I suppose if these can make someone feel better about their skin, or help them realize they're not alone, then it will have been worth it.

post-120146-1298087294_thumb.jpg post-120146-1298087270_thumb.jpg post-120146-1298087246_thumb.jpg post-120146-1298087227_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

Any chance you can get some time in the sun or in a tanning bed? It's not an ideal band-aid in that it's harmful to skin, but if you can get some minor burning, you may be able to peel a lot of that away. I did this for my wedding and no one could tell I had bad back acne.

Obviously you need to get to the root of the problem and stop picking, but in the short-term, I hope you can have a nice prom. Can you get a shrug of some sort to wear over your dress?

HUGS. I've been there. It's hard :(

I have suffered with picking for years. While I finally wised up and eased off of my face, it only made me go at my back and arms more fiercely. I am brutal to my skin, and have the scars to show for it.

I have been in exactly your place. Living at the mercy of an uncontrollable urge to get each and every last raised spot scratched, poked or squeezed away. Picking is a drug. It's hold over you is unimaginably strong.

I hit rock bottom one night staring in the mirror at hundreds of bleeding marks up and down each arm and covering every inch of my back I could reach. The first step to stopping was realizing what made me start. Picking soothed my anxiety, and gave me a warped sense of control. I could stop the racing thoughts and wild ideas in my head when I was set in the quiet trance of methodically "cleaning" my skin.

Once I saw that I was using picking to cope, the whole situation shifted. Controlling anxiety is not easy. But it's worth considering that you may be fighting a battle you can't win on your own. Anti-anxiety drugs and medicines for OCD exist for a reason: they help.

In the mean time I had to break the actual habit. It was all about out-smarting myself. I got a pair of mittens, and rubber-banded them to my hands when the urge was especially intense. I cut my nails as short as humanly possible. When I found my fingers straying to skin I clenched them in a fist, flicked at the pads of them or sat on them. In the beginning, stopping for even 30 seconds was like torture. Small victories are still victories. And every time I gained back control, I said to myself: I can stop this. I'm in control.

There is no magic to quitting. You have to make the choice, and fight every minute. Don't beat yourself up for slipping at first. Acknowledge mistakes are part of the process.

I found band-aids to be especially helpful. They healed and they protected the wounds (mostly protected them from me). I got a box of hydrocolliod bandages (from CVS) and covered every place I could think of. These are incredible at healing and preventing scars. The new process of washing, cleaning and covering the spots also helped me have a new methodical task to take the place of the picking.

Sorry I've written so long, I could probably ramble on forever, I just want you to know that you can break this habit. I would never have dreamed I could do it. But it's possible.

I have suffered with picking for years. While I finally wised up and eased off of my face, it only made me go at my back and arms more fiercely. I am brutal to my skin, and have the scars to show for it.

I have been in exactly your place. Living at the mercy of an uncontrollable urge to get each and every last raised spot scratched, poked or squeezed away. Picking is a drug. It's hold over you is unimaginably strong.

I hit rock bottom one night staring in the mirror at hundreds of bleeding marks up and down each arm and covering every inch of my back I could reach. The first step to stopping was realizing what made me start. Picking soothed my anxiety, and gave me a warped sense of control. I could stop the racing thoughts and wild ideas in my head when I was set in the quiet trance of methodically "cleaning" my skin.

Once I saw that I was using picking to cope, the whole situation shifted. Controlling anxiety is not easy. But it's worth considering that you may be fighting a battle you can't win on your own. Anti-anxiety drugs and medicines for OCD exist for a reason: they help.

In the mean time I had to break the actual habit. It was all about out-smarting myself. I got a pair of mittens, and rubber-banded them to my hands when the urge was especially intense. I cut my nails as short as humanly possible. When I found my fingers straying to skin I clenched them in a fist, flicked at the pads of them or sat on them. In the beginning, stopping for even 30 seconds was like torture. Small victories are still victories. And every time I gained back control, I said to myself: I can stop this. I'm in control.

There is no magic to quitting. You have to make the choice, and fight every minute. Don't beat yourself up for slipping at first. Acknowledge mistakes are part of the process.

I found band-aids to be especially helpful. They healed and they protected the wounds (mostly protected them from me). I got a box of hydrocolliod bandages (from CVS) and covered every place I could think of. These are incredible at healing and preventing scars. The new process of washing, cleaning and covering the spots also helped me have a new methodical task to take the place of the picking.

Sorry I've written so long, I could probably ramble on forever, I just want you to know that you can break this habit. I would never have dreamed I could do it. But it's possible.

Thank you SO. MUCH. Your story sounds like mine, and is so inspiring!