Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ringbearer

Accutane didn't work and redness/blushing persists

I am a 17 year old male with moderate to moderatley severe acne

I would like help from anybody if they have any thoughts at all or have gone through anything similar PLEASE post.

In order heres what i have tried

-cetaphil cleaner twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and differin once a day

-cetaphil cleaner twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and tazorac once a day

-cetaphil cleansing twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and ACCUTANE (40 mg for 5 months)

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and tazorac

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with ACCUTANE (80 mg for 5 months)

-neova cleansing bar with omega 3 pills (broke me out AWFUL!!!)

-neova cleansing bar with ACCUTANE (80 mg for 3 months then 100 mg for 2 months)

I am currently only using neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer twice a day. i just recently started using epiduo

I have 2 main issues:

1. My acne continues to stay persistant

2. With the amount of ACCUTANE i took my skin is all red. i blush EXTREMELY easily and get very red when exercising. My skin is really pathchy and red when i get out of the shower and the slightest touch of my skin will make that area go red. Really cold weather also makes my face get really really red and stay red for hours

...please is there anyone out there with any similar experiences? i'm desperate

...and just some venting, the worst part of this whole situation? both my best friend and my brother, my own flesh and blood with similar DNA, used accutane once...and it worked for them beautifully. they should both be spokespeople for accutane thats how great their skin is. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Do you notice any difference between pre- and post-accutane acne? Is your acne of a different nature now? I mean that's a really high dose. If accutane didn't help your acne maybe what you're experiencing isn't actually acne. My skin is extremely sensitive to shaving, so much so that if i so much as shave one hair against the grain, I get a pimple-like eruption that's actually foliculitis. I know it's shaving because I only break out where I shave. Could this be your case as well? If not shaving irritation, maybe your "acne" could be an entirely different skin condition. I suggest you watch your brothers closely, observe their grooming habits, diet, etc. Try to mimic their habits. If this doesn't help, then the best thing would be to have you and your brothers' blood tested for different hormones...although they might get creeped out if you ask them to do that.

I wish I blushed super easily! I think that's the most adorable thing ever :angel: Don't turn something into a flaw you're self conscious about when you don't have to be. Someone can be viewing it and think it's your best characteristic

accutane is extremly liver toxic, and the liver is essential for skin growth and maintenance. The reason your skin is probably turning red constantly is because accutane is damaging your DNA, sort of like when you get a sunburn the area turns deep red and hurts.

This is my opinion as I have 100% cleared my acne through holistic approaches, and am aware of what accutane can do to your liver, and how important your liver is when it comes to generating healthy and beautiful skin.

I am a 17 year old male with moderate to moderatley severe acne

I would like help from anybody if they have any thoughts at all or have gone through anything similar PLEASE post.

In order heres what i have tried

-cetaphil cleaner twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and differin once a day

-cetaphil cleaner twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and tazorac once a day

-cetaphil cleansing twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and ACCUTANE (40 mg for 5 months)

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and tazorac

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer and

-neova cleansing bar twice a day with ACCUTANE (80 mg for 5 months)

-neova cleansing bar with omega 3 pills (broke me out AWFUL!!!)

-neova cleansing bar with ACCUTANE (80 mg for 3 months then 100 mg for 2 months)

I am currently only using neova cleansing bar twice a day with cetaphil moisturizer twice a day. i just recently started using epiduo

I have 2 main issues:

1. My acne continues to stay persistant

2. With the amount of ACCUTANE i took my skin is all red. i blush EXTREMELY easily and get very red when exercising. My skin is really pathchy and red when i get out of the shower and the slightest touch of my skin will make that area go red. Really cold weather also makes my face get really really red and stay red for hours

...please is there anyone out there with any similar experiences? i'm desperate

...and just some venting, the worst part of this whole situation? both my best friend and my brother, my own flesh and blood with similar DNA, used accutane once...and it worked for them beautifully. they should both be spokespeople for accutane thats how great their skin is. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Hey :)

I finished a 10 month course of accutane a few days ago! I suffer from a lot of the same things as you (my skin gets red/patchy when out of the shower, my skin is very sensitive so it gets red in the winter- and i blush very easily too! OH and when i exercise, my face goes red and sometimes the sweat hurts! that can't be good right :D)- so you're not alone at least!

Luckily for me accutane has seemingly worked; how long were you on accutane for and what dose? Were you clear for any period of time? One thing I would suggest is to use as FEW products on your face as possible; I just use two (a cleanser and a moisturiser); this is especially important during winter months as skin is far more irritable.

Well, I was on 80 mg/day for 10 months, as well. It's been 5 months or so since then and my redness has not gone away either. My dermatologist says that this is completely normal and that my redness will go away by summertime, which is in 3 months or so.

Also, it's important that you wear some form of sunblock. My moisturizer is spf 50 and it's important to helping redness go away.

BREAKTHROUGH!!!

sorry for such a late response to everything. i do have some good news though!

accutane really screwed me over

but i have found some solutions to some of my problems

as far as the acne goes? i have done 3 things that have GREATLY cleared up my acne

1. i don't wash my fash anymore. i know crazy right? i was really frustrated and did some research about the caveman regimin or the "do nothing" routine. and guess what? IT WORKS. i still get the occasional pimple but they are much smaller and heal much faster than before. i shower 5-6 times a week and only really rinse my face in the shower after i sweat. Thats it. it helps my acne and i also don't have to worry about washing my face when i stay overnight somewhere

2. i sharted using a beard trimmer. this is not a good solution for people who have to shave everyday but since im only 17 my beard is not super thick yet and i can get away with it for now. just trim your beard right before you get in the shower

3. OMEGA 3 fish oil. i did a TON of research for this and the bottom line is TAKE IT. its not only good for skin but basically everything else too (even your mood!). its pretty much a super pill.

AS FOR REDNESS

the caveman regimine completly solved my shower blotchines problem. instantly. (its kind of weird actually that the harder i tried before, the worse it got. but anyway...)

other than that i haven't really found a solution for the other stuff

i try and drink a lot of water. and the omega 3 helps slightly

but i still get wicked red when i exercise. i look like im going to die after a slight jog.

and my skin is still wicked sensitive. the slightest touch and it stays red very a very long time.

as for the blushing its something ive learned to control. its MUCH easier said than done, but you have to just try and relax and be as confident as you can. also try not to think about it. the more you think about it the worse its going to get

...also something that i didn't mention before that is VERY embarrassing...

every time i get "intimate" with a girl, i get the huge red blotches all over my chest and neck. this only started happening when i came off accuatne and this is probably my main concern at this point over all the other issues.

THIS IS HUMILIATING

and to be perfectly honest i have been obesessing trying to find cures. i feel like i have tried everything but just can't find any solution. but i feel like its so embarrassing that i can't give up on it, and so i continue to look for an answer

if anybody has had any similar problems and has found solutions please comment on here or message me. Or even if you just want to vent feel free to message me! id love to chat with you and i promise my response wont be as delayed as this one was

i would like to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who commented on here. i really appreciate the advice

Jvkea2: im 99% sure its acne and not razor bumbps. there are big whiteheads on places on dont even shave. and my acne did get a little bit better after the 3 course of accutane but it was still pretty bad. and i asked my brother and his routine was the same as mine which caused me to give up and do the caveman regimine which was one of the best decisions ive made as far as my skin goes

jen0489X: thank you! :) it makes me feel better knowing that not everyone thinks im a freak hahaha

stavs16: yeah accuatane is a hell of a drug. im definitely going all natural from now on. in your opinion is there anything i can do to help restore liver health?

BenVsAcne: i was on it from April 19, 2010 - October 19th, 2010. i took 80 mg once a day from April 19th to August 19th then took 100 mg once a day until October 19th. and i agree with you about using as few products as possible...i even use none now!

Archermitch: Hopefully the redness goes away soon! do you find your skin is much more sensitive to the sun than before? im not sure if its my perception or if i actually get sunburned more easily than before

one more thing (sorry i know im posting a lot)

I say in my first post that omega 3 didnt work for me and that i got a bad break out and i say later that it helps my acne. heres my resoning:

first i took it only for 6 days in the middle of a bad breakout. so i think i just wanted to blame the bad brake out on something so i chose the omega 3. also 6 days is not nearly enough time. and when i took it for those 6 days i didnt take nearly the dosage i was supposed to. back then i took i 1000 mg pill a day but now i take a 1200 mg pill 3 times a day and it truly is making a big difference