Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FBAL

Supplements for Skin/sacrring

I read a lot of posts that ask about good supplements for helping build collagen. I've done some research and came across MSM. It's sulfur based and is what helps build collagen in your joints; so why wouldn't it work for skin? And I've read many instances where it's been given to ppl with acne

Also I am doing a Vitamin Therapy for my acne found on line:

10,000 IU of Vit A which is what Accutane is made of. But u can only do the Vit A for about 2 weeks seeing as how such a high dosage can be toxic after the 2 weeks go down to 1000mg a day or so. Also Vit B should be taken while using the A as it depletes it.

Vit E 400mg

3000mg Flaxseed or Fish oil I do the Flax as I don't like the fish taste

500mg nician which is a blood purifier

500mg Milk Thistle

zinc 100mg

MSM 2000mg

Vit C 1000mg

All daily

if u check up on some of my current threads you'll read up on some good info regarding hyaluronic acid

I read a lot of posts that ask about good supplements for helping build collagen. I've done some research and came across MSM. It's sulfur based and is what helps build collagen in your joints; so why wouldn't it work for skin? And I've read many instances where it's been given to ppl with acne

Also I am doing a Vitamin Therapy for my acne found on line:

10,000 IU of Vit A which is what Accutane is made of. But u can only do the Vit A for about 2 weeks seeing as how such a high dosage can be toxic after the 2 weeks go down to 1000mg a day or so. Also Vit B should be taken while using the A as it depletes it.

Vit E 400mg

3000mg Flaxseed or Fish oil I do the Flax as I don't like the fish taste

500mg nician which is a blood purifier

500mg Milk Thistle

zinc 100mg

MSM 2000mg

Vit C 1000mg

All daily

Be careful with all that because you just listed supplements that are blood thinners. I've taken MSM for over a course of a year more than your dosage and its overrated.

Edited by bameano

My mother's a Nutritionist and I ran it by her. She said it's all fine. I don't think any vitamin/mineral is overrated....it's gotta be good for u some how:) I'm having collagen building procedures done while taking the supplement and I can def see a softening in my scars. I also use a Vit E, Vit A and Omega 3 serum on my face nightly.

My mother's a Nutritionist and I ran it by her. She said it's all fine. I don't think any vitamin/mineral is overrated....it's gotta be good for u some how:) I'm having collagen building procedures done while taking the supplement and I can def see a softening in my scars. I also use a Vit E, Vit A and Omega 3 serum on my face nightly.

I particularly mean the msm itself is overrated. If those who eat improperly and have a lot of toxins with benefit from msm but usually eating properly will provide enough sulfur in your diet so no need for msm. That's why most vegans or raw diet do-ers, eat rich in sulfur foods, rave about glowing complexion, great skin, etc.

MSM does soften the skin and scar tissue for me but I didn't get much help in regards to collagen built up. Maybe it would workout for you in the combination you're doing. Optimism!

I had no idea you could replace accutane with vitamin a. That is so interesting! What kind of collagen regime are you on that's helping?

i just ordered 4 bottles of hyaluronic acid. Found the most natural one I could. Looked through dozens of sites and read a hundred ingredients of different brands and researched what the ingredients were.

Came to a total of 62 bucks for the bottles themselves but then an extra 40 for shipping!!!!

I had no idea you could replace accutane with vitamin a. That is so interesting! What kind of collagen regime are you on that's helping?

I'm not sure if it is fully replaceable but yes Vit A is know to help overactive, oily, skin. As I said it's a main ingredient in Accutane. But u have to be careful when taking it for it can be toxic as can Accutane. Its stored in the fat so it can build up rapidly. As I said do the 10,000 IUs the first 2 weeks and then go down. U might want to do some research yourself.

Use Vit b with it take half of the recommended dosage of the B, in the morning and the other at bed time.

Well for my collagen I had some Laser Genesis procedures done. Which is proven to build collagen. When I started those. I began taking the supplements I listed above. The Vit E helps cause it's softens the skin. I can tell that not only in my face but the rest of my body. The MSM. Then i use a Vit A, E and Omega 3 serum by REN.

I had a few box cars on my left ck that seem to be filling in. The bigger one seems to be almost flush with the rest of my skin, though it still has that blueish/purple color to it. Any idea how to get rid of that?

I also use a red LED collagen building light morning and night. It has a blue light for blemishes, that I use as well. It's by a company called, tanda.

Hope this helps someone:)

MSM also helps with inflammation!! Which we all know is a big part of the dreaded pimples..lol

My mother actually gave me a blemish tonic that has MSM in it for topical application. I asked her if I could make my own she said no. Bit I'm still gonna try it

I think everything you mentioned on your list is regarded as good for your skin, especially Vitamin C and Zinc...

The Vitamin A doseage you suggested isn't too high from what it seems. I think a lower vitamin A doseage over a long time period is probably healthier for sure.

Accutane is a vitamin A derivative... and not actually equal.

Also accutane is closely monitored when a person is on it for safety reasons... but I think I remember someone once comparing accutane to about 150000-200000 IU daily of Vitamin A. Not sure if that was accurate but I would imagine it being something like that, either way it would be unwise and unsafe to try to mimic the effects on your own without medical supervision...

Might as well just go on accutane then too .

MSM also helps with inflammation!! Which we all know is a big part of the dreaded pimples..lol

My mother actually gave me a blemish tonic that has MSM in it for topical application. I asked her if I could make my own she said no. Bit I'm still gonna try it

I don't see why you can't make your own tonic. You can use the powder from the capsule or even msm powder you buy in bulk which horses use and its very cheap, mix it in a little hot water and use it with another topical/lotion or by itself. They even have msm soaps. It's not like vitamin-c were it can oxidize quickly without preservatives but you can combat that by making diy concoction little at a time for quick usage.

FBAL, about the led blue light, do you see a lot of improvements in your skin...is it worth it? Or not sure with the other combination of things your doing?

I can tell a difference but I've been using it over a yr so the results are slowly but surly!

I can tell a difference but I've been using it over a yr so the results are slowly but surly!

FBAL your skin looks amazing. I dont think supplements can help scars but maybe they can

make skin look better. I havent posted in a long time but I went along with a family

friend who had silicone in her scars on her cheeks. I went along just to keep her company.

I can tell you that her scars look almost 95% gone. I think she had 5 sessions. The same

derm gave her 5 IPL treatments & she looks GREAT. She went to a nyc derm jay barnett.

FBAL your skin looks amazing. I dont think supplements can help scars but maybe they can

make skin look better. I havent posted in a long time but I went along with a family

friend who had silicone in her scars on her cheeks. I went along just to keep her company.

I can tell you that her scars look almost 95% gone. I think she had 5 sessions. The same

derm gave her 5 IPL treatments & she looks GREAT. She went to a nyc derm jay barnett.

She had silicone injections? Was it Silikon 1000? I've been looking into that since its more permanent and had success with temporary fillers but 5 sessions is a lot. How much did it cost her? She also had IPL over the silicone injections if they were that?

Guest Timehealsall

does the blue light help with pimples?

does the blue light help with pimples?

Yes it does!

I finally went to a derm this past Monday, as I am starting to get cystic acne again which is a deeper infection. Anyway I'm on this therapy

http://omegafishoil.org/use-vitamins-and-s...-help-cure-acne

Been on it a month now. The derm prescribed me a lipid free face wash for ex sensitive skin. 200mg of minocycline a day. Retain a at nite and Aczone for spot treatment in the am. And that is all I am to use besides my make up. So far so good. No IB from the retain a, but I think it's because of the antibiotic. The blue light works on smaller superficial pimples but I had to get on the antibiotic because of my large, painful, everlasting cysts that I am starting to develop again:(