Notifications
Clear all

Foundation makeup + Peeling skin? Help?

MemberMember
(@rckndisturbed1)

Posted : 11/29/2010 5:01 pm

So I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. I never really use foundation very much because I always get one (or all) of three problems... Girls, see if you can help me out? Here goes:

1. I get that "caked on" look no matter how much I put on, even if its just a dab. Doesn't look natural at all. Doesnt matter if I do powder, liquid, whipped.. whatever. Still get the same thing. I've tried using a couple different things to apply the makeup and still got the same result.

2. My face, given no history of dry skin, shows peeling on my face when I put the foundation on. Looks so terrible that I just take it all off again. The strange part is that my face never looks like its peeling before I put the foundation on.. I don't get it. I've tried putting moisturizer on before it but it just doesnt work

3. Never seems to cover the real problem spots, like a particularly nasty pimple or red marks leftover from other acne.

Any suggestions? What are your tips/ tricks?

MemberMember
(@wisdomic)

Posted : 11/30/2010 9:06 am

So I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. I never really use foundation very much because I always get one (or all) of three problems... Girls, see if you can help me out? Here goes:

1. I get that "caked on" look no matter how much I put on, even if its just a dab. Doesn't look natural at all. Doesnt matter if I do powder, liquid, whipped.. whatever. Still get the same thing. I've tried using a couple different things to apply the makeup and still got the same result.

2. My face, given no history of dry skin, shows peeling on my face when I put the foundation on. Looks so terrible that I just take it all off again. The strange part is that my face never looks like its peeling before I put the foundation on.. I don't get it. I've tried putting moisturizer on before it but it just doesnt work

3. Never seems to cover the real problem spots, like a particularly nasty pimple or red marks leftover from other acne.

Are you using the right shade of foundation for your skin tone?

And does your face feel dry before you put makeup on? my skin sometimes shows pealing when i put foundation on, exfoliate before hand maybe?

I usto try loads of foundations to cover my acne scars and spots and i'd personally think it all looked awful on me, took me ages to find one that didn't break me out, that covered my scars and that matched my skin tone

Estee Lauder double wear :) you could get your skin tone matched if you go into a local store that sells it :)

try it :)

MemberMember
(@californiaestie)

Posted : 11/30/2010 10:52 am

What have you used as far as foundations?

You probably need to exfoliate well and use moisturizer before you apply your makeup. It sounds like the dead skin starts acting up with it. Also, you should think about using a primer. It could help a lot with the cakiness/not enough coverage/ smoothness. Foundations are for an even base, most won't cover big trouble areas or red marks. You usually need a concealer to do that. Foundation just isn't formulated to do that most of the time. If they are faint red marks, maybe.

Let us know! :)

MemberMember
(@jpefive)

Posted : 11/30/2010 11:02 am

What are you using to apply the foundation? I use a foundation brush or a stippling brush and it always gives me good coverage but never fake-looking. Your foundation may also be the wrong shade.

Try to exfoliate a little before you apply your make-up. That's about all you can do.

As someone said above, foundation isn't made to cover problem spots. That's why they make concealer.

My favorite, favorite, favorite foundation is Almay TLC. It's PERFECT for me.

MemberMember
(@rckndisturbed1)

Posted : 11/30/2010 2:34 pm

I'm almost positive this is the right shade for me... I use Covergirl whipped foundation- 410. I've used Revlon powders and Olay liquids too. There was some Neutrogena "clear skin" liquid that was supposed to prevent breakouts but Im 100% positive it made my acne triple in severity. I've also tried this bare essential powder but that stuff stayed on for like an hour.

I, again, exfoliated and moisturized my face before I put on the makeup.. I tried a little jojoaba oil on my face this time. I usually use a wedge to put on the foundation. (Should I be using a brush instead?) I tried kinda blotting it on and that seemed to work a lot better.

It's not that I want my face to look perfect but I have quite a bit of red marks left over after accutane. Just want them to be less noticeable, thats all. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...i&img=41305 The last picture is what my skin looks like now. Maybe a little bit better than that, even.

Thanks so much for all your ideas! =)

MemberMember
(@likeraindrops)

Posted : 12/01/2010 6:31 am

Yeah I know that this has been said before, but exfoliation seems to be the answer here. My routine goes something like...

-Wash face with washcloth to exfoliate skin

-Wait for it to dry and the redness to calm down

-Apply foundation with my fingers (I find it easier because it's a liquid)

-Wait for the foundation to dry

-Apply concealor and blend in

-Set face with a foundation or a setting powder

Sometimes I do get flaky skin a little bit, so it's not a foolproof method, but nobody will notice or care to be honest..

MemberMember
(@fourfivesix)

Posted : 12/05/2010 9:42 pm

I have the same problem with my makeup/foundation... but it only occurs when I have dry skin. I think it has a lot to do with finding the right products for your skin. Sorry to tell you I haven't quite found a solution yet, but that stuff mentioned by Amber sounds like it would be worth a try. I exfoliate and moisturize religiously, but the dry winter weather is just too much during the day.

From your original post, I'd suggest using a concealer for trouble spots, and maybe trying out a foundation that isn't drying. Maybe a good tinted moisturizer? (with concealer underneath of course) I'm going to try out that scrubby thing to exfoliate and let you know how that goes.

MemberMember
(@icefairy88)

Posted : 12/05/2010 9:44 pm

Oh gosh, sounds exactly what happens to me! And when you apply it on the problem spots, they get darker then your skin around it. :/ i dont really know how to help, but id love to see all the answers :)

MemberMember
(@special)

Posted : 12/08/2010 10:03 pm

i have the same issue as you. skin doesn't look dry or flaky only when i put the foundation on.

i disagree with the exfoliation method beforehand that some suggested (i already exfoliate and this wouldn't help me); all that does for me is rub more dead skin cells and not 100% will leave my face and will still get that flaky look.

my sugestion is add a primer. since i added a primer this has helped. also i've noticed that when i apply the liquid with a foundation foundation brush or sponge i get the cakey look. 1. i havent gotten use to using a foudnation brush correctly 2. i'm guessing that the brush and sponge rubbs my skin and hence the flaking of the skin. so i use a stipling brush and since i just stipple there's no rubbing of the skin and no flakey/cakey look

MemberMember
(@florence1427)

Posted : 12/15/2010 8:43 pm

Well, since you have dry skin, I'd suggest you exfoliate, then put on moisturizer. Foundation does have a bad tendency to bring out dry skin.

Also, foundation won't cover big pimples or red marks. You'll need a concealer.

But before you buy an exfoliant or a concealer, I'd ask myself why I'm getting peeling skin. Is your skin naturally sensitive, dry, or is it irritated? Irritated skin can cause some peeling/dry flakes. Do you have acne?

If you don't have any skin issues, then go ahead. But take a day off without makeup. Sometimes, I feel that applying makeup just exacerbates my condition, and going makeup-free is better.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 12/17/2010 11:17 am

I agree with Florence. Your skin honestly looks great. Perfection is something we all strive for, but goodness, I'd do all sorts of things to have your skin. Maybe you should try a tinted moisturizer, or add a little foundation to your favorite moisturizer. This helps even out skin tone. Then of course, a little concealer will help hide the residual scars. Make sure you blend the concealer well so it doesn't look obvious.

Finish with a liiiiittle powder if you think you need to.

:]

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 12/17/2010 1:55 pm

I have to use a facial brush before applying makeup.Even if my skin doesn't look dry or peely.

I also use a gel moisturizer that acts like a primer.I also wait a few minutes after my skincare routine to apply my makeup.

I've always had my red marks show through my makeup.The point of me wearing it is just help even it out slightly and for extra sun protection.

MemberMember
(@annayake)

Posted : 12/17/2010 6:28 pm

what works for me (i have very congested and uber oily, yet veeery flaky skin): i remove my makeup/ wash my face in the evening with the cleansing oil and medium- bite cotton pads, i take off any residue with a micellar liquid, but i guess if you have soft water you can opt for a mild, sls and so on free foam cleanser, then i put on light moisturizer with antioxidants (only to comfort myself that i'm treating my skin with beneficial ingredients, because my oily skin doesn't really need any moisturing...).

In the morning I wash my skin with a gentle peeling cleanser (I love L'Occitane Pate Delice, but any oil/ butter based cleanser infused with soft grains, and again sls free, would do), I follow with a gentle alcohol free toner and again light moisturizer, then the foundation. The result is the best i could wish for with my skin type, though i know my routine my be considered a bit complicated, but i like the feeling of taking proper care of myself ;)

To sum up: exfoliate with something oil/ butter based. Some people swear by simply olive oil with salt, and those people include those with atopic skin inflammation, so cursed with very dry and flaky and at the same time ridiculously sensitive skin type). It makes easier to remove skin buildup due to flakiness and protects your skin, prevents you from hurting it during scrubbing. It won't clog your pores as long as you take all of it off afterwards. And do it in the evening, not in the morning. In the morning i don't really rub my face anymore, I only massage it thoroughly with the product to make sure I start my makeup with a clean face. Hope that works for you too!

MemberMember
(@brushes)

Posted : 12/18/2010 3:41 am

Definitely use moisturizer, as you have been. But make sure that you have let the stuff settle and become mostly dry before you apply foundation. If you don't, this can contribute to the 'cakey' look.

Apply foundation only where needed and blend into the face with a wet (but not dripping) sponge (latex or latex-free).

Have you ever considered using a cream concealer for just spot coverage? You said you're mostly looking to cover red marks, correct? With a good synthetic concealer brush (taklon), your fingers and spot concealing, it can look like you are wearing a full face.

I think this might be more appropriate for you, as foundation generally evens the skin tone, but doesn't cover every mark fully. A good concealer that matches your skin color might get you what you're looking for. My favorite cream concealer is theBalm TimeBalm.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@5678)

Posted : 03/22/2013 1:43 am

This may be of help to you. I have the same problem, like I have heaps of dead skin and exfoliating doesn't help. So maybe try just scratching it all off. That's what I do. When I'm in the shower, I just wet my face and scratch until I feel as though all my dead skin is gone. When you moisturize it seems to cover all the dead skin but then when you put make up on - even if it's your right colour - it shows all the dead skin. It's annoying and time consuming, but definitely worth it.

MemberMember
(@ben-lee)

Posted : 03/23/2013 6:32 am

I'm Chinese,... so I know a lot of great asian products.

The best exfoliator I have used is called "CURE - NATURAL AQUA GEL". They don't even advertise, but it's #1... by word of mouth. And it's made up of mostly water which is crazy. :)

After exfoliating with this, moisturize.

Also, your make up could be to blame... I would go for higher end make up. Also, sometimes make up that says "matte" may not be for you especially if you have dry skin.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 04/04/2013 2:29 am

I'd recommend Makeup Forever, ESPECIALLY their primer which I will never ever everrrr give up. I use #1 which is the green one to counteract the redness of my scars and it always does a fantastic job! It's also pretty moisturising (but obviously continue using your moisturisers). For foundation I'd recommend Makeup Forever HD foundation or the Diorskin Nude products. They're a little pricier but than the regular drugstore brands but I've used Loreal, Revlon, Rimmel and all that stuff before and it just never worked out for me. These 2 though I use interchangeably and really it just goes on super smooth while giving great coverage.

I think Nars also has a pretty good stick concealer, although if you're concerned with it looking "cakey" it'd probably be better to use a liquid concealer.

I never use foundation brushes because I guess I'm not using them right? But I feel like they agitate my skin and it's just a lot of maintenance constantly having to clean them. In any case, clean fingers are better in my opinion because it helps warm up the foundation as you're putting it on so the application is smoother!

As for setting my face I typically use Cover FX matte setting powder/Urban Decay de-slick mattifying powder/Makeup Forever microfinish powder - ALL of these products have given me a really nice finish. For me I tend to have oily skin so the first 2 are kind of more for that, but I think Makeup Forever's microfinish powder is for anyone. It's such a fine powder that it doesn't even feel like you put anything on your skin and it sure doesn't look like it. It smooths out your foundation because it can fill in the "spaces" which I think will help reduce the "cakey"/apparent dry-skin look.

I do think it's better to invest in a little more on your foundation. I've never had a break out with any of these products and I've tried a lot of different ones. But there are definitely some "higher end" brands (like Clinique) that have just been the absolute worse for me. Perhaps next time you could stop by a Sephora and ask one of the ladies for their personal recommendations?

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 05/03/2013 9:53 am

I get this "caked on" look too and have just accepted the fact that it happens due to my huge pores and deep scars. No matter how oily/moisturised/exfoliated my skin is, that gross look will keep on happening. I've just accepted that it's the way my skin is :(