Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cluejos45

Topical Antibiotic Side Effects

I was just wondering whether a topical antibiotic such as benzaclin has the same long term side effects as antibiotics you eat?

i wouldnt think they would hurt if you are just using them topically, but we have bacteria on our skin that feeds the acne, an the topical anti biotics kill this, but eventually like the oral antis can cause bacterial resistance (basically after a while they will styop working, an you may have to switch what type of anti u are using) hth- caroline

i would like to know also,

i am using benzaclin and minocin 100mg capsule antibotic

been using it for a week now

not many oral antibiotics have long-term side-effects, and if so, they're pretty uncommon.

To answer your question, topicals usually don't have side-effects either. If will experience any type of side-effect, you'd probably know right away.

Most side-effects are usually either red/irritated/or dry skin.

I read that eventually the bacteria become immune to the antibiotics. Making it a "super-bacteria." But im taking benzaclin and the way I figure any bacteria on the surface that is immune to "the clin" (I forgot the name and im too lazy to go check) part of benzaclin would just be killed by the benzol peroxide. And I dont understand how new bacteria from different surfaces will have an immunity to "the clin." So basically what im asking is if benzaclin works for me now why would it stop working down the road (according to some people). Also will using benzaclin affect my body in a way that I will never grow out of my acne and will always depend on the benzaclin. Thanks for the replies.

i know that clindamycin could have some side-effects because it gets absorbed into your blood stream when you apply it.

when I was on benzaclin the only side effect I had was extremely dry dry dry skin, that flaked constantly- I think my skin is still ultra sensitive today because of it. thats why I no longer using it.

oh I forgot to mention that it did clear my acne when I was on it- but my skin looked shitty still, and it came back when i stopped using it........so it DID work, but I just couldn't moisturize the dryness away ya know?

Clue Joe is absolutely correct. The combination of Benzoyl peroxide and Topical antibiotics casues almost no resistance to develop to the anti-biotic. Combining 2 topicals is the way to avoid resistance.,.

Smoothbeamin... cool.gif

Clujos- My daughter is using Benzaclin for 5 weeks now and it seems to be working great for her. She did break out about 3 weeks ago w/about 5 cysts. Did you have any cystic acne? If so did it take care of it?

Before the last 5 weeks using Benazclin she was doin Dan's regimine w/the 2.5 BP. It did not work on her cysts.

They are not huge cycst, but she feels them coming on about 2 days, she says it feels like pins. Then she breaks out w/like 5 or 6 at a time.