Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chrizzy

On the road to clear skin...hopefully

Okay, so I've tried a version of The Regimen using over-the-counter products instead of purchasing the Acne.org products. These are the products I've used:

Cleanser--Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin

BP--CVS Targeted Acne Spot Treatment (I tried Neutrogena On the Spot, but I found that the CVS brand doesn't dry out as quickly, so it's easier to put on)

Moisturizer--Oil of Olay Hydrating Beauty Lotion

While I've had very slight success with these methods, they can be costly (especially the BP since it comes in a 0.75 oz tube!) and I've found that the cleansers are starting to make my skin feel tight. So I'm going to try Dan's products to see if my skin will improve. Most of my acne consists of blackheads and small whiteheads, though I do get cysts and nodes every now and then. While I've noticed a decrease in the frequency of the cysts and nodes, it could be better. So I'm currently waiting on my package (which was shipped today) to come so I can start. Once I get it, I hope to update at least weekly.

Yay! The products finally came in today! After going through the process for the first time, here are my thoughts:

Cleanser~~A little funny-smelling, lathers quite well. I used two small pumps. It felt pretty good on my skin, though after about 4 minutes, my skin started feeling a little tight, but nowhere near what it did with Cetaphil.

BP~~Oki, first of all, I was expecting a dinky little tube, but this tube is huge! I'm starting out with about 1/3rd a fingerlength. I see why so many rave about this stuff; the gel is so much easier to work with, the smell isn't bad, and the stuff glides on quite smoothly. It actually feels pretty good when applying it.

Moisturizer~~Once again, a little funny-smelling. It seems to take awhile to absorb, and it feels a little strange, not like any other moisturizer I've used. After it started "soaking" in (bad choice of words, I'm sure, but it's the best I could do), it had almost a cooling or tingling effect. Don't know if that's normal or not. I used two pumps.

I'll keep this updated.

I am starting the regimen as well, so we can go through the journey together. =) Good luck and I'll see you around.

Thanks, Kai. :) I'm quite excited; I'm getting married in March 2012, and I would love to have clear skin before then. So let's hope things go well for both of us!

Aw, congratulations on getting married!! How exciting!! ^_^

I hope you will share pictures of your wedding with us! (I love hearing about things like that haha)

Aww, thanks Kairasa. I will.

Okay, so I've been sticking with the regimen, and this morning I woke up to flakes, which I knew was going to happen. However, there's now a slightly raised ridge below my left eye. Don't know what the deal is, but it just showed up this morning. So I'm going to wait and see if it calms down as the day goes on.

Okay, so I've now started Week 2. In review, Week 1 actually went quite well! While I experienced flakes, many of them went away around Monday, so for the past few days my skin has been quite smooth. Don't have as many whiteheads or papules as I have had in the past. Still waiting for a nodule to clear out, and I still have the blackheads (of course). I know that it's going to be a while before I can address those. I thought I saw or heard somewhere on the site that that AHA is actually pretty good at getting rid of the blackheads--I may have to look into that.

I'm now up to 2/3rds a fingerlength. I'm sure that will mean more dryness, but hopefully the moisturizer will continue to do its job.

Hi Chrizzy, good luck with this - it worked a treat for me - I put a full finger on morning and night, lol, I go through tubes of the stuff - but my skin is much better since using BP!

Honestly, I think the trick is to just go nuts with it!!!!

post-126598-1291892127_thumb.jpg

post-126598-1291892127_thumb.jpg

Hey! I'm almost into week 2 of the regimen too but there are still huge cysts popping out. Maybe it's cuz that i've stopped taking doxy. hmmm shld i cont taking it, twice or once a day? I hate how it screwed up my body system :( Hopefully they will subside quickly :(

Good luck for urs and I'm going to follow ur log cuz both of us started at around the same time! :D

Hi Chrizzy, good luck with this - it worked a treat for me - I put a full finger on morning and night, lol, I go through tubes of the stuff - but my skin is much better since using BP!

Honestly, I think the trick is to just go nuts with it!!!!

hello chucky666! Omg, your skin looks a lot better! ahhh, so jealous! HAHAHAHAH :D I hope mine will be as good soon! I had a sudden breakout a few months ago due to exams. Dont know why it is still not recovering tho my exam has ended quite some time ago :( i used to have clear skin. sigh, nvm, I'll perservere on!

@Chucky666~~Thanks so much for the encouragement; I'm trying to get my skin acclimated to the new BP, so I'm doing more than the usual. I'll be up to the full fingerlength this Wednesday. You're skin looks great, and it's my hope that mine will look even half as good eventually!

@Icygal~~That's awesome that you've started it, too! As far as the huge cysts still coming out, remember that Dan said that we may see things looking a bit worse before they get better. There is a link on this site that has a breakdown of what to expect over the next few weeks. I'm not taking or using anything else at this time--just the DKR--and I'm seeing vast improvement, and this has been with just the stuff sold on the site. So be patient, and it should help. Do you have a log?

Okay, near the end of Week 2; still getting whiteheads (probably have about 5 or so), no nodules, cysts, papules, or pustules (really good for me!), and of course I have blackheads, but there has been improvement in that area (yay!). Not experiencing any dryness after applying the moisturizer, and my skin feels super soft and smooth, which I'm quite impressed with. So overall, I'm pleased and staying optimistic.

Alright, so starting with Week 3 today. There has been some improvement (even though the pics may not show it), and the texture of my skin is SO soft! It's really funny, even with using the BP. Not a whole lot of issues with dryness, which is awesome.

Okay, now I have pics to post!

After Week 1:

Front

Left

Right

After Week 2:

Front

Right

Left

Edited by Chrizzy

Okay, so getting near the end of Week 4 (sorry I haven't updated, but it's been a bit crazy). I was a bit of a bad girl for a few days. First of all, one night I cleansed my face, but I fell asleep before applying the BP and moisturizer. Another day, I cleansed and applied the BP, but didn't do the moisturizer. And then one morning I didn't even do the Regimen (I didn't go anywhere, but I still skipped it). However, my skin doesn't look as horrid as I was afraid it would.

I'm still experiencing some small breakouts on almost a daily basis, BUT they are whiteheads that are extremely tiny, and nowhere near as many as there once was. I do have a huge papule on my left temple near my hairline, but it's not bothering me too much. I'm rarely experiencing dryness, and my skin feels so soft and smooth. I understand that there are several that don't like the new moisturizer formula, but I'm loving the effect it's having on my skin.

I'm seriously contemplating getting the AHA+ and using it as my evening moisturizer to see if it will help with the blackheads. Honestly, if I can get a handle on those, I think my skin will look so much better, since that is most of my acne problem right there (and it has been my problem for the longest--ever since I was 12).

I will post pics later.

Day 29

Wow, the start of the 5th week, almost a month on the DKR. This morning after my shower, this was the condition of my face:

Blackheads~~Still all over my nose, cheeks, and chin...the bane of my existence...lol

Whiteheads~~Twelve itty-bitty, teensy-weensy ones on the side of my nose, on my chin, and on my cheeks

Papules~~None (woo-hoo!)

Pustules~~None (double woo-hoo!)

Cysts~~None (triple woo-hoo!)

Nodules~~(None (quadruple woo-hoo!)

Overall, pretty impressed, and I'll eventually put in another order, this time getting the larger quantities and the AHA, I think.

Day 29

Wow, the start of the 5th week, almost a month on the DKR. This morning after my shower, this was the condition of my face:

Blackheads~~Still all over my nose, cheeks, and chin...the bane of my existence...lol

Whiteheads~~Twelve itty-bitty, teensy-weensy ones on the side of my nose, on my chin, and on my cheeks

Papules~~None (woo-hoo!)

Pustules~~None (double woo-hoo!)

Cysts~~None (triple woo-hoo!)

Nodules~~(None (quadruple woo-hoo!)

Overall, pretty impressed, and I'll eventually put in another order, this time getting the larger quantities and the AHA, I think.

Keep it up girl! your skin looks great! im am on my 7th week and am slooooowly getting better. this process takes patience. unfortunately my skin seems to have gotten worse before better.

Thanks 4fromAPtoAF, Kelm7912, and Kairasa for the encouragement...I needed it after yesterday...

Oki, so the start of Week 5, and things were going SO well, or so I thought, until a few days ago, then it was a cyst, papules and pustules, and yesterday morning tons of whiteheads! It has been so frustrating after seeing awesome results. However, I have a feeling that this is because it's that time of the month, so maybe I've always had pre-menstrual breakouts and just never realized it because I was in a constant state of them. So I'm trying to hold on to that positive.

I've gone close to three weeks with using make-up maybe three or four times, but with work starting back up, I'm using make up more frequently, so I decided to incorporate extra virgin olive oil as a natural make-up remover. It helps remove all make-up, leaving the cleanser the chance to work its magic. I found at times that the washing for 10 seconds did not remove all the cosmetics, which I'm sure doesn't help the skin at all. However, if I notice more breakouts after this one, I may have to cut out the oil as well.

So that's where I am now--the beginning of Week 6. I'll post pics later this evening.

Oki, so here's an update. My skin is finally calming down; I had to cut back slightly on the BP because my skin was majorly drying out. I was using a thick finger's length of the stuff, so now I've gone to a thin finger's length which seems to help some. The acne is going away. I'm going to reorder today because I have a feeling I'm starting to get pretty low, and since I'll take advantage of the $5 shipping, it's going to take a bit longer to get to me. I'm getting the larger sizes in the basic DKR as well as a tube of the AHA.

And as promised, here are the pics after Week 5.

post-118223-1294580661_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1294580669_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1294580676_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1294580661_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1294580669_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1294580676_thumb.jpg

In the middle of Week 7, and my skin is somewhat back to normal. After the monthly breakout and issues with major flakes, I've gotten back on track. Still waiting on my shipment--it left the LA FedEx Smart Post facility this morning, which means it will probably be around Wednesday or Thursday of next week when I get it.

Still have the usual--very small whiteheads and bunches of blackheads, but not as much red as there once was.

I'm sorry there's not much to report. I'm wondering what will happen when I start using the AHA...we'll see if there's any change in the results. But I'm sticking to this, and I hope you guys are doing the same!

Awesome! :D Glad to hear things are going well for you, just thought I'd check in and return the favor of visiting logs! =)

So, Week 8 has started. Still the same ol' story--blackheads, small whiteheads. I was bad and picked at a pustule at the corner of my mouth, and now it looks bad, so I'm waiting on that to heal. Got my shipment of stuff in yesterday, which was good since I ran out of cleanser Wednesday evening. Tried out the AHA last night--it's thin and goes on easy and really doesn't burn. We'll see what results come of it.

I've been wearing make-up since I went back to work, and I've found that using my tinted moisturizer and finishing with a dusting of my Mary Kay mineral foundation looks REALLY good. This is a bit of a shock simply because my skin has still looked bad with any foundation (even my favorite) and got oily within a few hours of wear. Now I go through the entire day with my skin looking and feeling comfortable--it's amazing!

Ugggh...today was an ugly day. Took pics this morning after doing my DKR, and I just thought my skin looked horrid in the pics. But, I'm still going to post them as progress; I don't know if my skin's doing another purge or if it's reacting to the AHA or what.

But, I've had a good make up day, so I'll post my pic of that as well, so I at least have one decent pic in the bunch.

post-118223-1295813665_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813673_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813681_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813693_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813665_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813673_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813681_thumb.jpg

post-118223-1295813693_thumb.jpg