Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PizzaFacedChick

Less people with acne in INDIA than in the United States?

From what I've observed, Acne seems to be less common in India. I think it is because their skin care products are better, since they are always 100% natural. In the US, it's hard to find something that doesn't contain harsh chemicals/skin irritants.

That's interesting. Do you think the different diet has anything to do with it as well? I went to India like 7 years ago and I don't remember seeing too much acne either. And I went to a lot of different areas. I did not, however, pay attention to the skin care. (too young haha). Interesting...

That's interesting. Do you think the different diet has anything to do with it as well? I went to India like 7 years ago and I don't remember seeing too much acne either. And I went to a lot of different areas. I did not, however, pay attention to the skin care. (too young haha). Interesting...

Wow yes that's true, the diet might play a role too. Indian food usually are powerful in cleansing the body of toxins. But I thought spicy food causes acne? Haha

Indians seem to know their stuff well when it comes to things such as health & beauty.

Wow yes that's true, the diet might play a role too. Indian food usually are powerful in cleansing the body of toxins. But I thought spicy food causes acne? Haha

Indians seem to know their stuff well when it comes to things such as health & beauty.

Ooh haha I thought it made acne better. Maybe it just speeds up metabolism- not sure about skin. But their overall diet seems to be well balanced. It seems like they MAKE their food a lot more in comparison to most Americans. Not all haha no one start yelling at me please. But we do buy a lot of foods here rather than cooking or making them. Just a thought.

What makes you say that? I am genuinely curious!

Ooh haha I thought it made acne better. Maybe it just speeds up metabolism- not sure about skin. But their overall diet seems to be well balanced. It seems like they MAKE their food a lot more in comparison to most Americans. Not all haha no one start yelling at me please. But we do buy a lot of foods here rather than cooking or making them. Just a thought.

Your deduction makes sense! No one will argue with you that most Americans eat horrible diets. They eat too much fat and processed foods, and eat out too often. With our busy lifestyles, it's hard to create a meal from scratch.

I noticed that in most indian skin care products, they use powerful, healing anti inflammatory herbs and it's very helpful in combating acne.

Things i'd like to try :)

Edited by PizzaFacedChick

Hey! I like the post. It's thought provoking, but I have to disagree with you here.

Having an extremely lower acne prevalence as whole country doesn't seem to be related to skin care products. While "natural" ingredients may play a role in aggravating or combatting acne, it seems unlikely that mere skin care products play a role in the pathogenesis of acne. I look to the nutritional side of things. Acne, at its core, is a disease. I hope to someday (when I'm completely clear) post a compilation of my own research on diet and acne. But meanwhile :) I'll try to make a few points relevant to this post.

While many point to a wide variety of acne "causes", I think we can probably agree that it's not skincare products (not to disrespect you in the least though. I'm happy people are thinking inquisitively like this). The higher acne prevalence in certain modernized countries can be attributed to the westernized diet:

High glycemic index intake, high dairy intake, high sugar diet, etc. Personally, I can't conclude that one dietary factor specifically causes acne, for I would be being dishonest with you, and also myself. The societies that stay away from the present day western diet have a lower acne prevalence- even those countries that lack "natural" skincare products. In fact, we tend to see a lower and lower acne prevalence (in general) in less industrialized nations. We can theorize that this may be due to sunlight access (as I respect Databased in doing so), exercise, diet, pollution, etc. I would say probably a combination of a few factors, but the greatest being diet.

Oh, and something interesting to think about. Many arthritis patients have seen temporary relief from their condition when eating in places such as India. Some nutritionalists speculate that this might be because of their consumption of certain spicy foods, such as curry, which has an anti-inflammatory effect.

And someone mentioned inflammation. In terms of diet, something to read up on is Nightshade Plants and their role in inflammation. Obviously there are other physical and dietary factors that lead to inflammation, but I find the Nightshade plants interesting.

Edited by Cameron Sane

I would say this a more a result of the fact that they don't eat cattle; not because the cow itself is bad for you but because our cattle are pumped with so many damn hormones.

Lots of supportive reasons I would guess. They don't eat much processed food. Average person is more likely to spend time outside, and active, rather than indoors and sat down. So the effects of sun, and activity will increase better absorption of food. Plus the food is healthier which is being consumed.

Your deduction makes sense! No one will argue with you that most Americans eat horrible diets. They eat too much fat and processed foods, and eat out too often. With our busy lifestyles, it's hard to create a meal from scratch.

I noticed that in most indian skin care products, they use powerful, healing anti inflammatory herbs and it's very helpful in combating acne.

Things i'd like to try :)

Except not all fat is bad for you and fat itself is important for optimal health....

Interesting post. I spent a good amount of time in parts of East Asia. What I noticed was that acne was very rare in many societies that relied on grains. kind of the exact opposite of the paleo diet.

Having lived in India for almost 4 years I can say that most of these reasons are just plainly wrong. For the most part Indian diet violates most of the guidelines for healthy eating. I mean they eat ridiculous amounts of sugar (tea they drink is full of sugar and their desserts are nothing but sugar and milk), a low of milk and wheat. Not to mention that food is often cooked in vegetable oil, and the dishes often contain a lot of oil. As far as exercise goes I've yet to see a nation that is LESS active than India. Both diabetes and obesity are rampant in India. I haven't been to the US but of all the countries I've been to India has the higher proportion of overweight and obese people I have seen.

Indians may or may not have less acne than people in the West do, but if they do it has little to do with their diet and lifestyle. My guess is just that it's harder to see in darker skin colors.

???

I definitely have never felt that India has less acne. I think skin with more melanin in general tends to scar less, because of the sun protection, and that yes - it's harder to see with darker skin. The downside of that is that when you have dark skin and mild acne.. you just look dirty. 0.o But trust me on this - we get acne just like everyone else.

It's impossible to generalize about India when it comes to diet... it's 1 billion people with over 50 major languages and ethnic groups, incredible differences in terrain and lifestyle (and thus the cuisine that evolved with that terrain and lifestyle).

In general, they do eat more vegetables and fruit... but they also eat a lot of white rice and other starches. When balanced out with physical activity, this doesn't matter as much as it could.

As for being overweight.. I'm not sure where sepsi lived, but that's statistically just false, and subjectively false as well in my experience. I've always felt the opposite - looking at the average Indian person, I'm always struck by how skinny they are - and how normal that body-type is to them. To me, they border on looking malnourished... but that's just because I'm American.

Also... yes they do use a lot of natural products and have a great tradition of Ayurvedic healing.... but India is also only second to china in producing industrial chemicals. More importantly, the rules and regulations on what goes in products are non-existent compared to the US. Ppl are definitely being exposed to bad shit. For example, several of the most popular "lightening creams" were found to be using mercury-based lighteners - very effective, but also very toxic. That's just one of a million examples.

There's a lot of good things in the diet and health traditions of India, but idealizing it as some natural paradise doesn't get anyone anywhere.

???

I definitely have never felt that India has less acne. I think skin with more melanin in general tends to scar less, because of the sun protection, and that yes - it's harder to see with darker skin. The downside of that is that when you have dark skin and mild acne.. you just look dirty. 0.o But trust me on this - we get acne just like everyone else.

It's impossible to generalize about India when it comes to diet... it's 1 billion people with over 50 major languages and ethnic groups, incredible differences in terrain and lifestyle (and thus the cuisine that evolved with that terrain and lifestyle).

In general, they do eat more vegetables and fruit... but they also eat a lot of white rice and other starches. When balanced out with physical activity, this doesn't matter as much as it could.

As for being overweight.. I'm not sure where sepsi lived, but that's statistically just false, and subjectively false as well in my experience. I've always felt the opposite - looking at the average Indian person, I'm always struck by how skinny they are - and how normal that body-type is to them. To me, they border on looking malnourished... but that's just because I'm American.

Also... yes they do use a lot of natural products and have a great tradition of Ayurvedic healing.... but India is also only second to china in producing industrial chemicals. More importantly, the rules and regulations on what goes in products are non-existent compared to the US. Ppl are definitely being exposed to bad shit. For example, several of the most popular "lightening creams" were found to be using mercury-based lighteners - very effective, but also very toxic. That's just one of a million examples.

There's a lot of good things in the diet and health traditions of India, but idealizing it as some natural paradise doesn't get anyone anywhere.

From the mouth of an Indian, all further arguments are now invalid =P

I dont think it it like that. My parents were both from India and they had absolutely no acne, but they both had extremely good hygeine. My mom's sisters and my dad's sisters in India all had acne but they were the obsessive types (picking pimples, constantly touching face, overwashing face). So now they have bad scarring.

I think the main reason people break out is because of the weather because the humidity level triggers oily or dry skin. I have excellant hygeine (wash my face 3 times a day, never touch pimples) but I still break out 3-4 times a week. I have dry skin and since its wintertime I have been breaking out more recently.

I have been to india a few times and whenever I go there, after about the 2nd week, my skin starts to get better because there is more humidity instead of dry weather. Also, I sweat more because of the heat and that gets rid of the dirt from my pores.

I wish I could find the perfect moisturiser because whatever I use breaks me out even more.

I dont think it it like that. My parents were both from India and they had absolutely no acne, but they both had extremely good hygeine. My mom's sisters and my dad's sisters in India all had acne but they were the obsessive types (picking pimples, constantly touching face, overwashing face). So now they have bad scarring.

I think the main reason people break out is because of the weather because the humidity level triggers oily or dry skin. I have excellant hygeine (wash my face 3 times a day, never touch pimples) but I still break out 3-4 times a week. I have dry skin and since its wintertime I have been breaking out more recently.

I have been to india a few times and whenever I go there, after about the 2nd week, my skin starts to get better because there is more humidity instead of dry weather. Also, I sweat more because of the heat and that gets rid of the dirt from my pores.

I wish I could find the perfect moisturiser because whatever I use breaks me out even more.

Can't really agree with this post. Indian myself and have been to India many times and let me tell you - heaps and heaps of people have acne, scarring and hyper pigmentation in India. In fact, I was so shocked by some of the acne/skin conditions I saw there. At times, I just wanted to cry because I felt so bad for some of the people. I've never felt like that before. A lot of people aren't educated about acne, and can't afford treatment there, so you see severe conditions. My dad had acne, and he still has so many scars on his face because he couldn't afford to treat it at the time ( and this was 50 years ago!). I think the humidity and pollution also has a part to play in it.

The Indian diet might appear to be good on the surface but I agree with sepsi's post - Indians consume heaps of sugar (tea and desserts), oil (ghee) and generally have sedentary lifestyles. Perhaps the poorer farmers etc might be an exception to this because they work on the land and tend to eat crops that they have grown (not processed). But India is becoming more industralised, and most people are relying on processed food, and using over the counter/chemical products (particularly whitening creams because everyone wants to be light skinned) instead of using natural methods of treatment. Generally, I found most people in India were skinny but had huge stomachs (compared to the rest of their body)...but during my last few visits, I have definately noticed a trend in people getting fatter (there are more fast food chains opening up there - thinking that might have something to do with it!). Perhaps acne will be on the rise too. One thing great about India is mediation/yoga/spiritual practice that can help with stress management that lots of people practice in their own way. But acne is still very common there, particularly severe acne that is not treated.

Eh, I haven't been to India, but...

I notice that some products specific to India seem to be effective on my skin. I have a positive reaction to Neem, Turmeric, and other "Ayurvedic" medicinals. The people from India I've encountered in the US (specifically New Jersey area) seem to have nice skin, and seem to still adhere to their traditional diets... just my two cents. I think many of the spices they use have a positive effect on the skin, internally and externally.

Reminder to all, spices used to be as valuable as precious metals in Europe, largely because they were used for medicinal reasons.

I spent 2 months in India and it is the only time in 15 years when I didn't get spots. I think it was a combination of factors - I didn't touch alcohol there, the spices in the local foods (turmeric, maybe?), the exposure to sunlight/climate.

When I was in Malaysia/Thailand etc my acne was terrible. In Malaysia I was spending a lot of time in the rainforest.

Edited by shelob