Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shortee

I'm clueless on this stuff....

Ok, so I was raised a tomboy, I have NEVER worn makeup before. Now that I'm older, 25, I have become a lot more feminine with my clothes and hair. I have wanted to wear makeup for a couple of years now, but I don't even know where to start. I don't want to wear it all the time, just like on weekends when we go out, you know? I have pretty oily skin...I don't know if I really want to wear something all over my face...do you think that just something w/ the eyes and lipstick would be ok? I would like something easy to do/maintain and not too flashy. Thanks for any help! All my friends are tomboys too, so I don't have a helper!!

I have pale skin, dark brown hair and big dark green eyes. Thanks in advance!

Hi Shortee!

If I were you, I'd start out really basic and buy Revlon Colorstay's eyeliner pencil in brown. It has a built in sharpener too! Don't start with liquid eyeliner b/c it's harder to put on. Also a eyelash curler is essential and mascara. Instead of lipstick, get lip gloss. Lancome's Juicy line is really good but if you want to go cheaper, NYColor has lip glosses for cheap. I also recommend NYColor's pressed powder in translucent to get rid of shine. Hope that helps!

concealer, lipstick and mascara are kinda like the minimum make-up commitment if you want to look different when you go out. Least that has always worked for me. wink.gif

Hey there!

Now, the first thing I would do is find some kind of concealer/foundation. I'm not really big on brand names, but it is generally true that the more expensive stuff shows better results. Find a foundation that is oil free/non-comedogenic, and when you're in the store, take a little bit from the testers on your hand and see what matches your skin the best. Then find a powder to get rid of any shiney-ness after you have the foundation on - I generally like to use loose powder and a brush.

For eye makeup, I like liquid eyeliners the best, but PrincessFiona is right in saying that they are harder to apply... it took me a lot of practice! So it may be best to stick to the pencil. Don't put the eyeliner right on the rim of your bottom eyelid - you can end up scratching it, so go just underneathe where your eyelashes are... stop halfway across so that your eyes dont' look too closed in. I also like to put eyeliner on my top eyelid as well. After that apply some mascara - I like the waterproof best, it lasts longer, but make sure you have some eye-makeup remover!

As for lipstick and such, I also like to stick to lip-gloss, as lipstick is too heavy and gets on everything... You can find tinted lip-gloss that wears simliar to lipstick, and it looks all nice and shiney!

Well... I hope that was a little bit of help!

Thank you guys! err...gals !! smile.gif I just got my bp gel today so I'm going to start on that. I think my face might be a little too broke out right now for me to wear a foundation and such, but since school doesn't start for 6 weeks that's fine (I wanted the makeup for school). I am going to check out some of these things that you guys are suggesting, it sounds pretty straight forward! Where do you go to buy stuff? Seems like all the typical drug stores carry cosmetics, but I have no idea what brands, most likely the cheaper ones. Would it be better to go to a salon type store, or like a department store like JC Pennies or something? The lady who cuts my hair also does makeup and sells products, but I've always been too shy to ask her to help me out, maybe I should have her show me at least a few quick tips, and help me pick out the right color? Well great! I'm so excited to be getting some tips...and maybe even some day, a clue!! lol smile.gifsmile.gif

I get all my makeup from regular drug store, Walmart-type places. Salon or specifically make-up oriented places generally overcharge...

Mid-price-ranged stuff is probably the best to go for. The most important thing is to make sure everything you put on is non-comedogenic!

Good luck smile.gif

Can you use powder just as is, or do you have to put on a foundation first? I was going to try and find the NYColor pressed powder that Fiona recommended. My face does get really shiny from the oil. Do you have to reapply it during the day?

You can use powder alone but it won't provide a good coverage. If you want to have a better look you should apply foundation first then the powder.

You can also use concealer if you have acne or red scars to hide.

dont be afrid to try new things! Its always fun to try new things. Anyways...just do wat you think u you best with n is your type of style! Im sure once u find things u like that you'll look gorgeous!

If you can, I would skip the foundation and concealer. Once you get into the habit of using it, you become dependent on it. I can't even imagine going out without wearing some foundation anymore sad.gif

If you still want some sheer coverage, try a tinted moisturizer and powder. Try Covergirl tinted moisturizer and NYC translucent pressed powder. You can use powder without foundation and you can reapply it throughout the day as you need to. Try not to use too much though, or it will look cakey.

I've noticed that my skin always looks so much nicer when I play up my eyes. I suppose it diverts attention! smile.gif Definitely curl your lashes with an eyelash curler. Try Sally Hansen. After curling your lashes, apply a couple coats of mascara. Maybelline Full 'n Soft is the best I've tried.

For eyeshadow; golds, khakis, browns, burgundys, purples, and greens look really good with green eyes. Jane, Milani, and Annabelle make good affordable eyeshadows (drug store). MAC and Urban Decay are also excellent, but more expensive (department store).

Eyeliner also helps a lot. Draw a thin line as close to your lashline as possible. Try brown (black is generally too harsh) or a colored eyeliner to brighten your eye color. I like L'Oreal's eyeliners.

For lips, I would just use lipgloss. Much less fussy than lipstick. Bonnebell is the lipgloss master smile.gif

I went to the drugstore today and I couldn't find Bonnebell products, they did have a ton of the other products you gals have mentioned, but I didn't have my list with me so I didn't buy anything yet.....good lord there were so many products and different stuff lol, I was overwhelmed just looking. Anyway, is Bonnebell sold at drugstores? Maybe I was just in the wrong one.

Also, question on applying eyeshadow: Do you just apply to the lid or all the way up to the brow or what? I'm terrified I'm going to make myself look like that lady on the Drew Carey show!! And finally: Do you need to curl eyelashes? Mine are very long full and curly already, they hit my sunglasses as it is!, would mascara and curling them be overkill?

Ok, so I finally went and got some stuff! light Brown eyeliner from maybelline. Sunbaked Neutrals eyeshadow from Maybelline; nyc cover stick and translucent pressed powder; mascara, eyelash curler and some glosses from bonnebelle, (this stuff is really neat!!)

Anyway, I gave it a shot, I applied some eyeliner then some of the dark green eyeshadow near the lashes, then the rest with the sparkly cream color. Does it look ok? It feels like it is subtle, which is what I wanted. Suggestions?

user posted image