Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amnesiac

Your thoughts on dermabrasion.

I want to hear peoples toughts on dermabrasion, of course performed by a good Dr. not some half-assed derm or surgeon smile.gif

For me it's set i'm doing it but i just want to see what people think about it, i have also researched a bit and it has made up my mind even more.

With a highly skilled doctor, It's probably the best option for major acne scarring. For mild to moderate scars though, the extremely common side effects outweigh the possible benefits IMHO.

When i read this:

"For mild to moderate scars though, the extremely common side effects outweigh the possible benefits IMHO"

It scares me a little, but this is really not a risk of the procedure i think it's a risk of the person doing the procedure, am i wrong in that assumption?

How can the "risks" be so high?? If peole use these for wrinkles and age lines? I am sure to bet that any bad results is result of the person doing the procedure.

Unfortunately it is a risk of the procedure. Due to the invasiveness complications can occur. If a person has a good amount of unscarred skin they should look into other treatments IMO.

Not many people use this for wrinkles although a few do.

It is imperative you have an excellent surgeon for this and any procedure. However even the best are human and mistakes can occur-there are no guarantees in any procedure which makes it really scary.

Some people get infections or do not heal well, etc.

Make sure you research independently and know all the risks for any procedure you are considering. Pubmed.com and emedicine.com are good resources.

Good Luck!

I have never had any problems with dermabrasion, but I was in the hands of a very skilled doctor. Hands down having the dermabrasions was the best thing that EVER happened to my skin. I can also say I never really saw any dramatic collagen remodeling afterwards, but I did have MAJOR improvements. As the others have stated, this is an invasive procedure and carries risks. Read up, talk to people and above all go to a qualified doctor. I cast my vote for Dr. Y. in New Orleans, but I know there are other good docs around. Good Luck with whichever route you choose. wink.gif

I don't see why there are so many discrepancies here. According to the below article (link and quote stated) there is increased collagen formation and the skin is thickened by 2-3 mm?

"Increased fibroblast activity with collagen formation in parallel bundles that may increase the dermal-epidermal thickness by 2 - 3 mm."

http://www.otohns.net/default.asp?id=14013

For those of you who don't know how thick 2-3 mm is, get this.. The thickness of U.S. coins are as follows: Cent= 1.55 mm, Nickel= 1.95 mm, Dime= 1.35 mm, Quarter= 1.75 mm. To have your skin thicken by 2 times the thickness of a dime is substantial, given that even deep scars are not that thick.

I had a dermabrasion some yrs ago by a doctor who teaches skin surgery at UCLA Medical school. He did a good job, but it only helped a little. It doesn't help much with deep "crater" type scars, but works best with shallow scars. I'm glad I had it done, but it only provided a minor improvement.

but what other treatments are there that actually show reuslts?? for moderate scars???

i mean is it really that invasive? that over the top??

animegirle is getting one and she has awesome skin, is that a risk???

I think the biggest problems occur when someone is at the hands of an unskilled doc. I know that this final derm will not be anywhere as deep as the first ones I had many years ago. You can look at those pics and tell that the doctor went very deep. He was very skilled though, thus no complications. Yes, there is a risk of infection anytime the surface of the skin is compromised. You just have to be very diligent and cautious with the care of the skin during the initial healing phase. The main reason I am going to have another one is to smooth over the punch float areas.

honestly, from what ive read on the board, if you are in the hands of a skilled doctor (doctor Y smile.gif ) i dont think it would matter at all if your scars are minor, or severe. i think the people who have come out of dermabrasion worse, went to a bad doctor. amnesiac, if you are going to dr. y, i wouldnt worry smile.gif

anime- is it possible to punch float icepicks that are kind of close together? and also, what kind of improvement can be expected (roughly) in the pit depth?

yeah i'm planning on going to Dr.Y, my scars aren't that bad and they are on 2" diameter of my cheek only on my left, the right cheek is like 1" diameter or less, i will need some punch floats too cause i have icepicks, but the skin where the scars are is uneven looking and shinny so i want to take care of that too.

You can also do mild peels at home. I used to work in a salon as well as manage a cosmetics counter at Nordstroms and am a licensed cosmetologist. There are greast MILD peels as well as home kits for microdermabrasion that you can do yourself and see great results after repeating the process for a few months. Check out this site for the one I do to help my acne and hyperpigmentation. Please don't do peels if you are on accutane and ask your derm about the microdermabrasion. I am allowed to do the microdermabrasion every two weeks gently while I am on accutane....But I spoke with my doctor frirst and showed him the crystals.

Hi, I live in New Orleans and have a consult with Dr. Y on Monday. I am just concerned though because after talking to my derm here who knows Dr. Y and is very esteemed in his field as well, he thinks I might be going for dermabrasion too soon. First I have some hypertrophic and indented scars. About 2 big ones right by each other on one side and just warped looking hypertrophic shaped scarring with a little indentation on the other side, both areas various scarring damage spans about the size of quarters on each side. It was a bad infection that spread under the skin. I asked my derm if he though punch floats would work on me to fill it in and he didn't think so, acted like they were too big. If you have large chicken pock type scars perhaps punch floats don't work. I guess I will find out Monday. My derm thought I should start out with chemical peels. However I am ready for some major improvement so will see what Dr. Y says. My derm was like dermabrasion is alot to go thru, well news I 've already been thru alot with this. dry.gif Plus I just want to get the two spots treated and not full face. Wouldn't have the $$ for full face anyway.

I just wanted to advise people that punch floats and dermabrasion might not be a fix to every type of scar, atleast according to my derm bb_sad.gif

tricia check your private messages on the top of the page

colleen- i am doing peels, TCA complex and using copper peptides, still i won't have the money for derma till summer so in the meanwhile i am doing these and will add salicylic peels to my regimen, also i am going to an estetician where i still have like 4 sessions left and i think they are going to do micro on me, so let's see what i can achieve in the meanwhile.

Hi Tricia,

First of all you live in a great city. I don't think I have ever had a better burger than at Port of Call!!

Now going through a dermabrasion, is in my opionion not as big a deal as people say. The precoedure itself is not painful and you have to wear suncreen and make up for three months (which girls do anyone) afterwards so it is not really that big a deal. The only real deal is the cost but if you save real hard it is amazing how quickly the dollars add up.

PS I have had hypertrophic scars for years and I can tell you a chemical peel is not going to do anything for them so what is the point of trying these minor things if you are going to get like 1.876566% improvement. Keeping in mind this is only my opinion. But I have had a lot of doctors say that chemical peels are great for skin rejuvination but will do nothing for scarring.

Amnesiac, I'll let you know how it goes Monday.

Thanks John for the advice, I think I'm pretty tough and could endure it, however, I want to make sure my skin is ready for it. It looks kind of red in the areas now because the derm gave me erythromycin lotion to put on it, I guess he's still thinking some of the hypertrophic scars might have infection or something, though I've been on antibiotics for a long time and every cream imaginable. The derm said it's not bad hypertrophic scarrs but it's right around the indented one's which make it look worse. Do you think the dermabrasion has fixed your hypertrophic scars and to what %? I know you will probably have to give it a fair amount of time to make sure they don't grow back. I have a feeling even if mine were initially flattened down they would grow back some later. However, getting the indents smoothed is really more important to me. Hopefully I can be helped and soon!!!

BTW, I am new to New Orleans and it is a fun city, but I worry we might get a hurricane here soon bb_icon_eek.gif Anyone planning to make a trip here should watch the weather, because it is hurricane season and they say this season will be a bad one.