Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I swear man. The media have played people into thinking that acne is a 'teenage thing' and that females get it more than males do. Yeah right! The real truth is that anyone who has sex hormones can get acne at any age. And its more common in males than females. Another misinformed fact by the media.

Has anyone noticed that whenever an advert/commercial comes on about 'spots/acne', its always teenage girls who are acting in those adverts and not other REALISTIC people who are more likely to get acne like males in their teens/20's! I haven't seen any teenage girls yet that have acne! I dont know why the public believe this bullshit! So when it comes to actually having acne, people who dont have or never had acne start taking the piss about your skin and yes its embarrasing to have acne because so many people are misinformed about acne.

When I was at school about 5 years ago, my form tutor said that you get acne because of poor diet and lack of exercise. And he was a biology teacher! And I know for a fact that you dont get acne because of these reasons alone. Other factors such as your hormones, heriditary links etc are bigger factors when it comes to acne.

Anyway, I'm thinking that if my biology teacher thinks this is the true factor behind acne, then how many other people think that this is true? I mean every time I go to university, people who dont have acne or never had acne must be thinking the same thing right? They probly also thinking; 'why hasn't he sorted his skin out'? 'Only teenagers get acne', 'he should be ashamed of himself'. Again, it boils down to the media. They've even got a 'technical' term for teenagers with acne. They're known as a 'spotty teenager'. That proves the media are playing with the minds of the public.

Plus, there hasn't been enough research done on acne anyway. No one knows for definite what causes it, what aggravates it, who's most prone to it and why does it happen? Its not considered as a 'high priority' by the medical world thats why. And thats where the problem lies.

Have I also mentioned that the reason why I hadn't got my acne treated til now is because my parents dont consider it a 'condition'. I was talking to my dad about my acne the other day and he said that having acne is 'normal'. And I thought WHAT THE FUCK! Acne is not 'normal'. Its a condition and if you go outside and try to count the number of people who you see that have acne, the number would be close to 0. Thats why my acne is still with me cos my parents didn't nag me enough to get it looked at because they thought that it was normal. Er not for a 20 yr old university student it isn't! I think in some respects, parents who nag their kids to sort out their acne are doing a good thing as it will go away quicker and increase that person's confidence.

Well, secretly I blame my dad for my acne as he had it when he was my age and it must have got passed on into my genetic makeup. Sorry for blabbering on and on and making you read all this but I just had to get this off my chest.

I hate when the commercials have people in them that say something along the lines of 'Oh look I just got a pimple' and then they do a shot of them and they don't anything. Then agian I bet that it is just a way to bring more people in so they think 'Oh look they don't have acne so maybe this product will make mine go away!'

I think in some respects, parents who nag their kids to sort out their acne are doing a good thing as it will go away quicker and increase that person's confidence.

So many people are misinformed about acne. Like I went to stay with my parents in the country 2 weeks ago and they get this local community newsletter which is basicaly just made up of articles from people living in the community each month.

So I flicked through it and there I found this article about Acne. I had to force myself to finish reading it. It was basically stuff like- If you wash your face you can help clear up acne and stuff about what foods to eat- like it was some sort of thing that can be avoided by washing and eating right.

Each time I went out I felt so uneasy as if everyone had read the article and were thinking to themselves- oh if only he was more hygeneic. Damn country folk ( Not that I can speak cause I grew up there). I was so compelled to Write my own acne article for next months magazine but I thought stuff it.

I know exactly what you mean!! The media is absolute shite.. theres a clearasil advert on at the moment and theres a girl with flawless skin ( i bet its airbrushed, ha ha) and she says 'oh NO..ive got a spot' and you cant see a bloody thing. Drives me insane.. stupid stupid stupid.

AND...how many bloody articles are there in magazines about cameron diaz and her crazy bad acne?? That just pisses me off.. poor girl should just be left to deal with it... i know its her choice to be a multi multi millionaire and be in the public face all the time but theres no need to dwell on it... but it just shows.. she must have so much confidence to go out.. i spose its a bit of an inspiration but i bet its not that bad in all honesty and its been totally blown out of proportion as if its almost unheard of that people actually suffer from the bastard disease of acne..

what a load of shit

(breathe)

f

I laugh everytime I see that advert FOC it's so funny, the way she is stressing about the invisible spot on her chin, I dont know how she could leave the house looking like that.

Personally my favorite is when Vanessa Williams said she had horrible acne and still suffers from it. Pro activ cleared her up 100%. Yeah Vanessa you looked like your acne was so fucking horrible.

I think in some respects, parents who nag their kids to sort out their acne are doing a good thing as it will go away quicker and increase that person's confidence.

Don't agree with that at all man. By nagging their kids to get rid of it, surely the parents are damaging their confidence by 'noticing' and commenting on their condition. Im sure its not a nice feeling when the person you love the most tells you to 'wash you're face properly' or 'get you're spots sorted' etc ... how could that IMPROVE someone's confidence?

An I do agree with the rest of ya post btw. The media suck. We all know that.

--jay

they say the photos aren't retouched not anything about all the makeup they put on. couple weeks and clear with no marks yea right

I know exactly what you mean!! The media is absolute shite.. theres a clearasil advert on at the moment and theres a girl with flawless skin ( i bet its airbrushed, ha ha) and she says 'oh NO..ive got a spot' and you cant see a bloody thing. Drives me insane.. stupid stupid stupid.

AND...how many bloody articles are there in magazines about cameron diaz and her crazy bad acne?? That just pisses me off.. poor girl should just be left to deal with it... i know its her choice to be a multi multi millionaire and be in the public face all the time but theres no need to dwell on it... but it just shows.. she must have so much confidence to go out.. i spose its a bit of an inspiration but i bet its not that bad in all honesty and its been totally blown out of proportion as if its almost unheard of that people actually suffer from the bastard disease of acne..

what a load of shit

(breathe)

f

How old is that pic of Cameron Diaz dinimal? And anyway, the spots I can see on her face in that picture aint that bad. I've had spots that are far worse than those in the pic in my time. But, I haven't had that many spots in one area at a time ever. Still, at least she doesn't have acne skin like I do.

that picture is from january this year.

by the way, i'm not trying to make any statement by posting that picture other than re-enforcing the notion of the media's ignorance towards acne. cameron's beautiful.

the photo was clearly taken through the window of a car - you can see water marks, which affect the appearence of her skin tone.

She is beautiful. No ones doubting that. How old is she anyway? I think it if its heriditary acne then it may be because of her age.

I heard somewhere that some females who never had acne before can get it after the 25 yrs old mark and sometimes into the 30's depending on if parents had acne. For men its different. At the 25 yrs old mark, most men who have acne before for several years find that it just disappears.

Oh well, at least it shows that shes human like everyone else here on this forum.

I am 35. I had mild/moderate outbreaks on my face as a teenager. But extensive acne down my arms, chest, back, and legs. Some of this went away around 19-20 though I had a massive facial outbreak during that same time (I guess that crap had to go somewhere, huh?). Things calmed down for several years - nothing truly massive but I was consistent in breaking out. I almost always had a cystic zit or 10, scars, and red marks. Then at 27 - major cystic acne. I still have cystic outbreaks but I've managed to control mine without any prescriptions or diet changes (at this time anyway).

I am the only family member - including cousins - who has acne. The official family skin freak.

I had very good success with a hormone cream that I started using in September of 2003. It completely cleared my body - and helped with my face but it hasn't completely cleared it up. I'm not sure what it will take to clear the rest of it up. I'm just curious when my acne is going to go away - I've had it in some form since I was 12.

Man,commercials show teens with one pimple.I wish i just had ONE pimple!

And of course,shows where the poor teen girl is going on a date,and oh my gosh!She has one pimple.Grr..

And who cares if an actress has acne.There's tons of celebrities,so some have to suffer from it!And why is it such a big deal,I still see beauty in people's faces even if they are full of acne.

Has anyone noticed that whenever an advert/commercial comes on about 'spots/acne', its always teenage girls who are acting in those adverts and not other REALISTIC people who are more likely to get acne like males in their teens/20's! I haven't seen any teenage girls yet that have acne!

Has anyone noticed that whenever an advert/commercial comes on about 'spots/acne', its always teenage girls who are acting in those adverts and not other REALISTIC people who are more likely to get acne like males in their teens/20's! I haven't seen any teenage girls yet that have acne!=QUOTE]

To be honest I kinda agree I mean it is a fact that in the most girls never get acne as severe as guys do and they are able to cover it with their hair or make-up.

It would be stupid to say girls do not get acne but most girls I see are also relatively clear or may have a few pimples which are barely even noticebale. I am not trying to offend just being realistic thats all.

It would be stupid to say girls do not get acne but most girls I see are also relatively clear or may have a few pimples which are barely even noticebale. I am not trying to offend just being realistic thats all.

Has anyone noticed that whenever an advert/commercial comes on about 'spots/acne', its always teenage girls who are acting in those adverts and not other REALISTIC people who are more likely to get acne like males in their  teens/20's! I haven't seen any teenage girls yet that have acne!

I'm sorry. What? You've NEVER seen a teenaged girl with acne? Where do you live, in a box? I'm 19 and have been suffering from acne ever since I was 13! There you go. There's your teenaged girl with acne.