Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morning to Night

Winter Acne...

hey guys i have a short question about the winter acne.

Well right now i am in the regimen for 26th day.

My acne got worse but i am gonna still wait until it gets better! (Optimistic mind :) )

However, while in the regimen, does your skin gets more worse because it is winter?

Because we cannot let go of our body waste since we dont sweat that much during winter... hmmm

This is quite curious to me~

Help~ :)

Sweating and acne are not directly related. Acne bacteria grows in the sebaceous glands, while it's the sudoriferous glands that secrete sweat. Note that it should be distinguished between actual sweating and the cause of the sweating (e.g. aerobic exercise). While adding exercise (and thus sweating) might have a positive impact in acne treatment, the sweating by itself is not related to acne. Hence, I said "directly".

Regardless, during winter time, the air around you (especially outside) is generally a lot drier. This might contribute to a dry skin phenomenon, in which the dry skin itself causes the sebaceous glands to secrete more sebum to moisturize the skin. As we know, if the secretion paths are blocked by impurities, conditions for acne development are present. Hence, your acne may grow worse during winter time if there are impurities or blockages on your skin.

If you have a dry or sensitive skin, moisturizing a bit more may help in reducing the dryness effects caused by winter time air, and reduces the chances that your acne grows worse. Furthermore, as the Regimen itself has a tendency to dry the skin, this may also help combat some of the side-effects like redness and flaking.

The body does not eliminate waste by sweating. Sweat just contains water and some salts. The body eliminates waste by urination and defecation. So just because you don't sweat (as much or at all) during winter doesn't mean your body is not still eliminating waste products.

Don't do any type of exfoliation on the regimen. It will irritate your skin. If you want you can start using AHA, but other than that, stay away from exfoliation.

Your skin naturally sheds old skin cells on its own when it is ready to. It's not necessary to remove them in order for your skin to breathe. Attempting to do so yourself before your skin is ready to get rid of them will just cause irritation which leads to breakouts.

i partially agree with tigger but partially disagree. there is nothing wrong with exfoliation if you do it RIGHT. This means finding a good balance of frequency, and determining the resilience of your skin. I have made the mistake of over exfoliating by using aha, or even the jojoba oil massage thing. Granted, I did have a lot of dead skin to remove, however I simply was doing it the wrong way (ie. not soft enough, or too frequently etc). My philosophy is that if your face doesn't feel irritated when you are exfoliating it or afterwards, it probably isn't. You will know when you irritate your face because it physically feels worse (burny, stingy etc.) If you can find a good frequency as well as method of removing skin, by all means. Just be CAREFUL and start slow. You arent going to get rid of flaking or dead skin in one go. I piece of advice that seems to be working pretty darn well thus far for myself is to go really heavy on moisturizer. I have found that if i continue to moisturize throughout the day, my skin looks and feels better. Dead skin also seems to come off more easily when you are consistently moisturizing it. The AHA seems to be more effective when moisturizing often as well (also began doing it less frequently).

In any case, if you are less than a month in, don't expect much. Honestly, even when you are clear, you may very well battle with the texture and consistency of your skin, unless you find a good routine right off the bat. For me personally, It took about 5 months to really be impressed by my complexion on my forehead. it looks DAMN good every day. sadly, i started the regimen on my lower face after my forehead. I am going on month 4. My skin is finally showing some small or moderate signs of improvement. I have been clear for a while, but depending on the day my complexion can be pretty blotchy/choppy/rough.

Whatever the case, LISTEN to your skin. If you feel like you MUST exfoliate, do it. But again, BE CAREFUL and START SLOW. Anything in the regimen has its ups and downs. Its about finding a good balance.