Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe1985

Accutane And Shaving

I was just wondering how guys go about shaving while on accutane. Its one of the worst things about having acne for me, I mean literally billions of men do it everyday without even thinking much about it and yet I dread having to shave because I think itll cut into the acne making it worse but its sort of a catch 22 because at the same time I think growing my facial hair also makes my acne worse...or at least appear worse because it looks a bit scruffy. I also have noticed that while on accutane if I wet shave afterwards my face is really red and sensitive.

So I was thinking maybe an electric razor might be better to use, at least till the course is done and the acne is clear...anyone any experience/opinions on this?

Cheers

I haven't been on accutane, but I heard your skin is very fragile. So I would shave every 3 days with an electric shaver.

I shave once every 3 or 4 days, and I moisturize right after I shave. Its a bit red at first, but I do it before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning (perhaps feeling like p. diddy... can't believe I just said that) the irritation is gone. Just be delicate and patient! :D

Edited by AccutaneJournal10

I was just wondering how guys go about shaving while on accutane. Its one of the worst things about having acne for me, I mean literally billions of men do it everyday without even thinking much about it and yet I dread having to shave because I think itll cut into the acne making it worse but its sort of a catch 22 because at the same time I think growing my facial hair also makes my acne worse...or at least appear worse because it looks a bit scruffy. I also have noticed that while on accutane if I wet shave afterwards my face is really red and sensitive.

So I was thinking maybe an electric razor might be better to use, at least till the course is done and the acne is clear...anyone any experience/opinions on this?

Cheers

There's no easy way out of it. Here's my experience.

1) when my acne was quite bad, I used a bread trimmer.

2) When it was mild, I used a mac 3 razor blade every 2-3 weeks

3) Now I'm on accutane, I shave every week using a mac 3 razor blade. I use lots of hot water with nivea for men sensitive shaving gel. I always change the razor blade after 3-4 shaves because a blunt razor blade will cause more irratation. But my face does get quite red and sensitive, but after applying some moisturiser it dies down after a couple of hours.

But all in all, shaving is a bastard when you've got acne.