Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SpringRoll

Hi. New here, need some support

Hi, I am a 28 year old female and I tend to have hormonal acne. It is not really bad and I can get pretty much clear as long as I manage NOT to touch my face, but as soon as I start picking the pimples multiply like crazy (duh). And right now it's getting bad.

I don't recall a time in my life when I didn't pick at least a little bit. When I was in my teens and was not on the pill my acne was really bad, except for a period in my 20s when I stopped picking for a few months. After I went on the pill at 23 I got completely clear after a year, and stayed clear after that even though I picked here and there. But since there wasn't much to pick on, it was easier to be in control. It got to the point where my skin looked almost like porcelain even with no makeup, I was constantly complimented for my good skin. I was so proud of myself.

That stopped around 8 months ago when I moved from the totally humid weather I lived in for 27 years to the desert. My skin went crazy and it didn't know how to react. The products I used didn't work anymore. And my anxiety didn't help, I started picking and acne came back. And to make things worse, now I'm off the pill.

In these last few months I've gone from being clear to breakouts to clear to breakouts, depending on my anxiety and stress levels (and thus my picking). I am newly married and I feel so ashamed when I pick my face and then I have to face my husband. I feel horrible, I feel like I should be able to control my hands. I can't really go to him for support about this because he is Mr Willpower and does not get how someone can't control their behaviour.

So, last week I had an awful breakout and I picked like crazy. Today I'm on my third day of not touching my face (or almost not touching :wall:) and this is usually as long I can go without completely wrecking it again. And I don't want to do it :cry: but I feel like as the hours go by my hands keep reaching out more and more for my face.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments. I want to stop this behaviour once and for all. :(

hi there, im 18 and i have the same problem, i find that its not the products or weather , which is what i always thought , but its stress, i have been on the move ( changing countries) for like 3 years almost and since then i started getting some pimples,, but i always thought my face was just breaking out- until i started keeping a journal and then i realized that i'm continously picking my face (even if it was every 4th day, i was picking) I have recently stopped picking for almost a month , but i find that when i slip up is when i have a really bad day or when i stress--- i'm quite a stressfull person. I have some tips though =) look at the web sit stoppickingonme.com i find it very very helpful -- it describes why we pick and how to overcome it.

some things that i find useful is putting the light of at night time whilke washing your face ,,, also avoid the mirror during the day. Spoil ourself everyday ...take a long bath... :boohoo: ...sip a cup of tee..go for a walk -- i find this most helpfull- make your innerself strong!! picking relates to stress and us as human trying to 'FIX' something , because other things in our live is out of control or we can't fix it.... i believe picking is very emotional. remember even stressing about your face makes it worse...try to forget about it. Gud luck =) be strong

picking relates to stress and us as human trying to 'FIX' something , because other things in our live is out of control or we can't fix it....

Thanks ivanna, I really like that quote. I think I will use the concept as my motto everytime I feel the urge to start picking. I'll redirect the energy I put towards trying to fix my face to trying to fix something in real life!

Let's see how much problem solving and non picking I do this week.

Thanks!!

So, it's been getting worse. Right now my skin is the worst it's been in 5 years :( . Up until a few weeks ago I was only getting somewhat swollen small blackheads that I would scratch when dry or squeeze, and one or two of them would eventually turn into bigger pimples if squeezed too hard.

Now I'm just getting big whiteheads in places that weren't even broken out before :(.

And I'm making it worse because I can't stop "trying to make it better".

Yesterday I was super proud of myself because I didn't touch my face at all and it was looking a little cleaner already. But as I'm typing, I just finished scratching and squeezing EVERYTHING there was to pick on. My face is a mess. I'm a disaster. I'm so ashamed.

Yesterday I was super proud of myself because I didn't touch my face at all and it was looking a little cleaner already. But as I'm typing, I just finished scratching and squeezing EVERYTHING there was to pick on. My face is a mess. I'm a disaster. I'm so ashamed.

i know exactly how you feel, but try not to get so down on yourself, it usually just causes more stress and anxiety which makes things worse. take down or cover the mirrors you usually use when you pick, or if you can't try to put up post its around it that remind you the pride you will have for controlling yourself will outweigh the satisfaction picking will give. just take it one day at a time, everyone has relapses sometimes. you just have to think 'i will regret this later' or 'think of how smooth my skin will be if i don't' when you get the urge. if you pick to relieve stress, try to find something else that will distract you.