Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jamjar

Acne and depression. Is the way I feel normal?

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad that this website is here because I'm the only person I know who suffers with persistant acne (I am 25 and had it for 5 years), and I have to say for the first time, it is seriously affecting my life, and I was wondering if that's a 'normal' side effect. I have become serverely depressed, it's affecting my sex life (I feel so unconfident and unsexy that I just don't even go there), my work life (I haven't gone to work and I have cancelled lessons because I feel so ugly) I don't go out with friend's anymore and I have even stopped going into shops with pretty thing's in because my skin is so bad and I feel self concious. I have even changed the way I walk, I walk with my head down and conciously try to hide myself as I walk by people. :ninja:

This feels like such a curse! I was walking passed a female tramp the other day, she was drinking from a 1.5 litre bottle of cheep cider, she was filthy, high and smoking a fag and her skin was great. Why is her skin great and mine is the way it is! I have: changed my diet to one of controll freakish health, been drinking around 3litres of spring water a day, changed my contraceptive method, tried Dan's method, been on antibiotics for over two years, given up smoking, given up drinking, tried topical gels, tried chinese medicine, added vitimins and minerals to my diet, tried leaving my skin alone........let's just say I have tried my darndest, and now I feel so abjectly miserable and ugly that I am physically scared of looking in the mirror. I used to be so pretty, I used to be a model. And now I actually put off leaving the house, or feel trapped when my partner is talking to me and I know that I look awful and this isn't the way I looked when we met. Is the way I'm feeling normal....or am I entering some kind of maddness triggered by my skin condition? Sorry it's so long! Thanks

Hey there and welcome to the org. I am going to move this to the emotional and psychological affects of acne board, but I wanted to say that it is common....as for normal, well no one here is a psychologist.

In my opinion, no it is not normal, but heard of quite a bit. It makes me sad to see someone let acne take away who they are. Because it IS a choice. That may be hard to hear and it is certainly difficult to overcome once you accept that your life situation is the way it is because you chose it...but it is the truth.

The good news is you have a ton of great people here to form a community with. I know that can prove invaluable in life and I hope you either find the inner strength to fight your battle or find a professional to help you. Nothing wrong with either of those scenarios.

Good luck and I am glad you joined the org. =)

Hey first of all, I just want to tell you that you're not alone. I'm 24 and I'm still having acne. :( I know how you feel because it seems like the people around me are acne-free already at this point in their lives.

I remember I used to avoid the mirrors (still a bit phobic when it comes to mirrors) because it hurts a lot just by looking at face. I, too, avoid going out most of the time. I was somewhat anti-social because of my condition. I tried almost everything too and nothing seems to work for me anymore. I used to drink 8 cups of water everyday and I even made those nasty juices everyday so that I had sufficient vitamin intakes. I tried birth control pills, DKR, megadose B5, over-counter-mediation, and prescripted medications, and it seems like nothing is gonna work.

I've had on and off acne break outs in the past.... 6 years? I feel like I spent half of the time with moderate-severe acne and half of the time with completely clear skin (and of course scarrings). I'm not sure if this is the reason why I'm getting break out, but I THINK my emotions affect my skin condition. So when I'm on my vacation break (I'm still in school), I will have at least 3 months of completely clear skin. My acne usually comes back in around Oct or Nov when it comes to midterms and exams, and usually lasts (and worsens) until May again. :(

So having said that, I'm having my 'acne break out' again. BUT this time, i'm trying SO SO SO hard to remain positive. I now it's hard but I am trying to be as happy as I can because I know this is my acne's worst enemy. :)

I know this is a bit long but I just want to tell you that you're not alone. I hope you could be positive too! As odd as this may sound, sometimes we are SO picky about ourselves that we tend to over-exaggerate our own condition.

Stay strong!

I definitely understand how you feel. I have worked very hard to be a very self-confident person, however, since my skin has just been an all out war zone, I never feel like going out, I don't want to look in mirrors ( I avoid them at all cost) and I hate having direct face to face conversations with people because I feel like they are looking at my terrible skin. It's really hard also, because I do not feel sexually attractive and I know that it is having an affect on my life with my partner. I used to have clear skin just 2 months ago and now I don't even know what to do. It's hard to look on the brighter side of things. I just starting taking doxy and aczone and I am hopeful that those will produce results, but like anything, you have to be patient, but it so hard just not to be in a constant state of depression.

HI AND WELCOME!!! To start off things, I really understand what you are going through right now. I also undergo the same phase as you do. I hardly look at people when they're talking to me because I had this notion that they are looking at my acne (paranoid but at times, true!) and I also hardly look at the, straight in the eyes because of so much embarrassment especially the time my acne got worse. It almost came to a point that I never wanted to go back to school. So I skipped classes and I always stayed home in fear of people seeing my like this (especially by people who never saw me with acne). With so much of this, I became suicidal just because of acne.

ACNE DESTROYED BY SELF-ESTEEM AND SELF-CONFIDENCE. But just because it did, it entirely doesn't mean that we should give up on acne! I fought and struggled hard to eliminate most of my acne through self-medication and anti-stress activities (i.e sleeping LOL) to have the old life I used to have and to have a new vibrant where I don't have to be socially awkward anymore. Though some of them still remain, the battle continues.

Keep fighting acne until you win. DON'T LET IT GET THE BEST OF YOU. If people think less of you because you have acne, it's equally important NOT to think likewise about yourself as well. We didn't choose to have acne. If clearly we had the freedom, no one who hardly have acne. But we don't. We have it. Acne is a challenge. And with enough persistence and strength (especially from people who have the same cases like we do), we can triumph over this adversity! :)

NEVER GIVE UP!

I've found that if I change my attitude on life and look at the bright side other than acne, I feel less depressed and stressed and my skin isn't as inflamed

I'm going to say it is relatively normal. First of all, acne is normal. Those people who never suffer a period of breakouts are few and far between. Most people will have acne at some point in their lives. (Personally, I didn't hate it as much as 15 as I do at 22 because it seems like an adolescent problem -- it's not.) Second of all, depression is normal. It's at least as common as acne, and probably more so. I would disagree with a previous poster and say that depression is not a choice (anybody who's been clinically depressed and been through therapy knows that). That being said, the great thing about depression is that it's easier to get rid of acne. So I think you should focus on your emotional well-being first and your skin (hopefully) will follow.

Have you talked to your partner about how your acne makes you feel? I know it's hard -- I hate thinking about my skin, let along drawing attention to it by talking about it -- but it will help. I started dating my husband when my skin was much clearer and when I started breaking out badly (when we were getting ready to move and stressing out over money and finding work) I lost my sex drive. For weeks I suffered without telling him but he finally dragged it out of me. Needless to say, the honesty helped. He told me he doesn't even notice my pimples, which I think is b.s. but it's still nice to hear. I'm sure your partner will respond similarly -- nobody cares about or notices our bad skin as much as we do.

Also, exercise helps, at least with the depression. When I took up running, my stress level plummeted, I slept better, I felt better about my overall appearance, and my skin even got a little bit better.

Good luck with everything. =)

Just because you have acne doesn't entirely mean you can't live on a normal basis. Try to practice healthy routines. I read somewhere that those with high-fiber diet have the lesser chances of having acne. So I keep on eating oatmeal and bread. Also, try to relax for a bit. If you are irritated with the acne you have right now, then don't look at the mirror as it will emotionally and psychologically bring you out and give you stress which could result in more acne! And have an 8 hour sleep because a good R&R will can also lessen you acne.

I personally think that majority did or have depression because of acne. I know I do. It's completely understandable. Don't make things worse by not sharing your problem. That's why this website is here for. To help and understand people who have the same condition as we do. Since I found this site, I've been sharing my problems and people emphatically respond to my questions and I'm making a difference in my own way by helping them as well.

Acne gives us problems. Problems are challenges. Challenges make us stronger. The stronger you are in life, the better you will become. So keep on fighting acne. Never let it defeat you. We are here to help!