Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kopps

Derm put me on 20 mg for one year+ !!?

So my derm put me on 20 mg accutane today. I haven´t started yet as I read somewhere that accutane shouldn´t be taken for more than 6 months.. Does anyone know anything about this??

I´m being put on a low dose because of my age, and the fact that I´m afraid of side effects. I´m already fighting hairloss at the same time as acne, so wouldn´t want any of the hairloss-sides. It´s really a terrible situation and I have no idea what to do.. It´s like I can´t get rid of my acne permanently without risking my hair or internal organs... :cry:

lower dose = less side effects but generally requires longer time frame. 20 mg is considered lower dose for normal weight person. one year is a long duration

I am middle aged and am just completing 40 mg per day for 5 months. great results, but had extreme dry skin and lips side effects.

Hi,

I'm 22 years old and I've been on accutane for 9 months (60mg a day). I saw my derm yesterday and she said, ` according to the manufacturer 9 months is the max`. But in some cases it takes longer for patents to respond, so a derm can prolong treatment but on a lower dose.

In my case, I am going to continue treatment, but my derm lowered my dose from 60mg to 40mg. She also warned me that exceeding 9 months might result in pro longed side effects ie dry skin, lips etc etc.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm not.

Good luck

Edited by simonhayes01

hi, your derm knows what he is doing. If he fucks up then he is responsible through his medical insurance. So he wouldn't do something that goes agaisnt the manafacturers guide lines or protocol.

If you have worries about hair loss, Use jojoba oil and massgae into your scalp every day. The reason for hair loss is because of the oil or sebum drying up in your hair folicals and if you add extra oil to the hair then you should not experience these side affect. Good luck.