Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the innocent

accutane!!!!! to take or not to take!!!

hi im 'the innocent" and i have until tomorrow afternoon to give my dermatologist my final answe on wether or not to begin treatment on accutane. i know very liitle about this drug and thus have begun to do my reasearch and im comming accross some rather shocking stories which have scared me considerably HOWEVER i am only 17 years old and have been dealing with acne since the age of 12, i have been teased and bullied and my self esteem is somewhat....non existent due to this persistant acne problem and when my dermatologist offered me this "miracle" acne curing drug i was almost jumped at the opportunity as i have been through the dissapointing process of so many other treatments that are expensive and just never seem to work. I am very confused and frightened of the possible outcome of taking this drug but at the same time thrilled at the prospect of a clear skin, PLEASE can someone help me but giving me some first hand advice before i have to go and give the final answer tomorrow i would be so very gratefull as i dont have a clue what to do!!!!!

I have researched Accutane for about 6/7 years now.... I like yourself wasnt sure if i should or not. But i am on week two and i am really glad i did... my skin is breaking out bad right now which is annoying but i know there is a light at the end.... i say do it. I honestly wish i went on years ago. This site is also a great way to talk to people who are dealing with the same issues as you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

GOOD LUCK!

If you're terrified, ask to start on a low dose! I'm terrified too but the side effects seem to be much less with the low dosage...

But as I'm sure others will tell you, this IS a very serious drug and you really should be absolutely SURE before you say yes. I've considered the drug for about 3 years before finally giving up on antibiotics (I thought maybe one day they'd just WORK lol).

What other medications you tried since you started suffering from acne ?

And do whatever your mind tells you , it's your own body and this is a serious drug , so think wisely

I went on Accutane when I was 16, and like yourself had acne since I was 12. Although my acne did return around the age of 19 it was one of the best decisions I ever made to go on it! My acne was put into complete remission for those 3 years! I went to my high school grad with no acne and was able to just focus on being me for a while. When my acne did return it was not near as bad as it was then! Also, I don't remember getting any bad side effects when I went on it at the age of 16 and now that I am on it again (and am 24 years old) I seem to be getting tons of side effects: I wonder if the younger you are the easier your body can deal with the Accutane? Does anyone know if any research has been done on this?

Long story short weigh the pros and cons and see what your willing to risk. You need to be aware of the risks, but for me the risks were worth taking because I wasn't really living my life with the acne I had!

Best of luck!

Edited by tgrah2010