Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kate2288

Doxycycline every other day?

No; the only way antibiotics work is if they're constantly cycling through your body. I know with tetracycline (similar to doxy), the antibiotics need to be taken at MOST 12 hours apart or they basically don't do anything, and most antibiotics need to be constantly cycling for about 14 days to reach full potency. Break the cycles too much and you'll develop a resistance to that specific antibiotic, sometimes others.

You know, while a lot of doctors will tell you antibiotics only work after a month of taking them, tetracycline worked almost instantly for me. Taking 500mg every 10 hours, the infection was basically gone and all the inflammation had vanished within a couple days. The rest of the time I stayed on it, I simply broke out from voluntary hormone swings, and I waited for the hyperpigmentation to go away.

I've taking 100mg twice a day for 1 month, then 100mg once a day for 2 months and it has helped ALOT with body acne, even when I went off the antibiotic. I'm sure every other day would help though(If you derm told you to do that then im guessing your acne isn't bad at all).

No, actually I was prescribed 100mg twice a day ... my acne is that bad :(. But the side effects are killer for me. No matter how much or how little food I take it with, I feel sick. Plus, I can't take it in the morning because it makes me feel tired all day. Somewhere I heard that a less frequent dose actually helps prevent bacterial resistance, but I'm not sure if that's true or if the opposite is true.

No, actually I was prescribed 100mg twice a day ... my acne is that bad :(. But the side effects are killer for me. No matter how much or how little food I take it with, I feel sick. Plus, I can't take it in the morning because it makes me feel tired all day. Somewhere I heard that a less frequent dose actually helps prevent bacterial resistance, but I'm not sure if that's true or if the opposite is true.

Take a probiotic, helped me alot. I didn't really have any negative issues than a little bit a nausea that went away in like an hour.

Guest Timehealsall

woah i was presribed doxy 100mg 2x a day, and my acne is moderate (10 lesions on face).

No; the only way antibiotics work is if they're constantly cycling through your body. I know with tetracycline (similar to doxy), the antibiotics need to be taken at MOST 12 hours apart or they basically don't do anything, and most antibiotics need to be constantly cycling for about 14 days to reach full potency. Break the cycles too much and you'll develop a resistance to that specific antibiotic, sometimes others.

This.

The every 12 hour thing seems bogus to me. I take one 150mg pill a day and have been for 3 months and have had really good results compared to beforehand. Now it wont be completely clear, but you will see improvement guaranteed.