Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sverd

Honestly how bad is my scarring?

I got most of these scars within half a year when I suddenly started getting cystic acne. I took accutane which definitely made the scarring worse. I notice light makes a big difference though, I"m always subconsciously aware of light sources.

Bad light:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2576/p1000514edit.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/393/p1000518edit.jpg

Good light:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5817/p1000504t.jpg

Any tips on what I can do? I already got Fraxel Repair once which did improve it somewhat.

Edited by sverd

Rolling scars are difficult to treat. Needling/rolling would help. Accutane made your scarring worse, you say? Funny, because my doctor was really trying to sell me on it, saying it improved scarring substantially. How old are you?

your scars are moderate. I say you should look into subcision follow by fillers (no need for laser because your skin color is great!)

Rolling scars are difficult to treat. Needling/rolling would help. Accutane made your scarring worse, you say? Funny, because my doctor was really trying to sell me on it, saying it improved scarring substantially. How old are you?

Accutane slows down the time it takes for skin to heal from a wound. This combined with the initial disaster makes the conditions just right for bad scarring. I haven't heard of needling. What is the cost like and would it make a difference you think?

your scars are moderate. I say you should look into subcision follow by fillers (no need for laser because your skin color is great!)

You really think they would be classified as moderate not severe? Its hard to believe that.. Subcision looks painful, but if it can guarantee results I'll look into it.

Its crazy how much of a difference lighting can make though. The worst is a bright light directly overhead because of the shadows.

Edited by sverd

Accutane slows down the time it takes for skin to heal from a wound. This combined with the initial disaster makes the conditions just right for bad scarring. I haven't heard of needling. What is the cost like and would it make a difference you think?

You really think they would be classified as moderate not severe? Its hard to believe that.. Subcision looks painful, but if it can guarantee results I'll look into it.

Its crazy how much of a difference lighting can make though. The worst is a bright light directly overhead because of the shadows.

i agree with everything here :) your scarring is pretty moderate and definitely not severe. ive seen quite a few people with worse scars than yourself.

subcision followed by fillers definitely sounds like a good plan. it does look a bit painful, but it worth it. you should be left with a bruised look for a few weeks.

i agree laser isnt a good idea for you and thats great because lasers tend to have the worst healing time out of them all. not to mention the most expensive.

try and stay positive and congrats on having the guts to upload the pics and ask for help :)

i wish you all the best bud.

It looks moderate to me. The texture looks like my own scarring. I agree that subcision or perhaps dermal grafting would work best. :)

Hi sevrd

In all honesty I think your scars in bad lighting are on a scale of 1-10 probably a 7 maybe a 8. In the flash picture your skin looks fine.They are not the worst I have seen by far but you do have alot of them. Are these considered rolling scars or boxcar scars because I think my scarring kinda look like yours but I was told mine are boxcars.

I think maybe a filler would help your skin alot.

Hi sevrd

In all honesty I think your scars in bad lighting are on a scale of 1-10 probably a 7 maybe a 8. In the flash picture your skin looks fine.They are not the worst I have seen by far but you do have alot of them. Are these considered rolling scars or boxcar scars because I think my scarring kinda look like yours but I was told mine are boxcars.

I think maybe a filler would help your skin alot.

jackiey - i was under the impression these were definitely rolling scars. i have a few too which i will get subcised, vacuumed and filled hopefully in a year.

unfortunately, you cant fill them until they have been subcised as the filler will simply pool around the edges creating a donut effect. im not sure how many doctors know this, but it seems to be pretty common on here, at least amongst the filler/subcision oldies.

Hi my fave 3gs

So these are rolling? I really suck at determining scars I guess. I cant seem to tell the difference between boxcar and rolling. In all honesty I think I have the same Type of scars as sevrd but I dont think I have rolling scars.

April had great success with filler on her scarring so I thought this could work very well for him too but if I cant figure out types of scarring I could be giving wrong suggestions:(

Guest Timehealsall
I got most of these scars within half a year when I suddenly started getting cystic acne. I took accutane which definitely made the scarring worse. I notice light makes a big difference though, I"m always subconsciously aware of light sources.

Bad light:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2576/p1000514edit.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/393/p1000518edit.jpg

Good light:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5817/p1000504t.jpg

Any tips on what I can do? I already got Fraxel Repair once which did improve it somewhat.

hey sverd, your scarring imo looks severe.

Just curious but you say you "suddenly" started getting cystic acne. If you do not mind me asking, were you ever on antibiotics, and if so, which ones? How long were you on them and did you ever supplement with probiotics

timehealsall - i see you are being as unhelpful and self centered as always.

his scarring is NOT severe and stop trying to gather as much information for yourself. its NOT all about you.

hey jackiey - it has been a long time hasnt it! ive heard you went for your tca treatment and i hope all is going well for you. my scarring has changed quite a bit recently and would love to chat to you about it :)

sverd has a few different types of scars. the only thing that seems to be different between rolling scars and boxcar scars is the presence of scar tissue. if the scars are simply indented with the same skin texture as everywhere else on your face - then they are probably rolling scars. boxcar scars have a thick build up of scar tissue and you can clearly see the outline of the scars.

i doubt you are giving the wrong suggestions. you have been here for ages and have always been helpful. people really respect you for that :)

Thanks 3gs. Your very kind.

I could see some of his scars resembling mine so I was getting confused between the differences between boxcar and rolling. Shouldnt fillers be able to help out both then?

I will report back on my treatment soon with you guys.

They're moderate like the others have mentioned.

Lighting and angle can make scars almost invisible.

On the pics with bad lighting they kind of look worse than they actually are because of the red marks and some active acne.

Get your acne under control and then you can try needling.

his scarring is NOT severe and stop trying to gather as much information for yourself. its NOT all about you.

Ditto this.

Your scarring is definitely not severe. It's moderate to me, and I'm pretty good at judging scars :P

They're rolling scars. I think you should do subcision and fillers. You'd get a LOT of improvement this way, IMO.

- You could also try needling them first as a cheaper alternative.

Edited by Sapphire Lily

Guest Timehealsall

Ditto this.

Your scarring is definitely not severe. It's moderate to me, and I'm pretty good at judging scars :P

They're rolling scars. I think you should do subcision and fillers. You'd get a LOT of improvement this way, IMO.

- You could also try needling them first as a cheaper alternative.

i don't know why everyone is getting mad at me.

In my opinion (which everyone has) his scars look pretty bad. Maybe techncially they are not labeled as severe, but i think they are severe..But then again, in the other photo with different lighting, they do not look bad AT ALL

Guest Timehealsall

actually, i was wrong. His scarring looks moderate. I looked at his pictures again and they are indeed moderate

Edited by Timehealsall

hi sverd. just want to say that everyone will most probably have a different opinion...it depends what types of skin they are used to seeing or have themselves....

i would consider my scarring to be moderate, they are quite shallow and i have them on my cheeks and forehead...check my topic my scars... you have quite a few deep scars....concentrated in one area so thats not so bad....

I so agree with Depree

I guess it all depends on who you ask. I would almost verge on saying I think Sevrd scarring is on the severe side but compared to some others then I would say moderate-severe but not exactly severe if that makes sense. But this is only based on that this photo shows his skin under very hard lighting. I would be more curious to see his skin without flash in daylight for a more true representation.

I hope you find something that helps. I really think April had great success with her treatment. Perhaps something like that could help. Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

If his scarring is severe than we need a new category for the many people that have scars worse than that.

Sverd you're scars aren't too bad. Look into making them better but I wouldn't do anything drastic. Don't freak out about them, go out and live your life.

The slightest imperfections show up in bad lighting. It's the bane of the scar sufferers existence.

Definitely moderate. THey are all pretty small and I have seen much worse. People are saying they think they are deep .. which i dont really get bc i have deeper but anyway ... i really think you look pretty good man. Some people can pull of acne scars and I honestly think that you are one of those people ... I wouldnt do anything jurastic aside from good skincare and MAYBE dermarolling, or mild chemical peels. You look good in my opinion. Granted I am a guy so i guess that doesnt mean much .. unless you are gay .. but IMO dont sweat em.

Someone asked if I was on antibiotics before I suddenly got severe acne. I wasn't but I had taken it a few years earlier. I suddenly got cystic acne at age 17 while I had had moderate acne from the age of 13 which never left any scarring. It was worse than I've ever seen on anybody. After a few months of cystic acne I went on accutane, which did make the scarring worse because it decreased the ability to heal. Now I wish I had gone on doxycycline instead because when I started getting acne again it cleared me up 100% after I started taking it on an empty stomach. I will post a picture of my skin in natural daylight, but I don't think it looks anywhere near as bad as that harsh lighting. That's literally the ugliest lighting I have in my apartment, but I wanted to use it to show the full extent of how bad the scars look in the worst lighting possible.

I guess the only positive outcome is that it has motivated me to wear sunscreen everyday and not smoke, because I wouldn't want my skin looking any worse than it does if its preventable.

Edited by sverd