Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strwberry2178

How does ortho tri-cyclen work to help acne...

Hello. I'm thinking of switching to OTC in a few weeks...but I'm confused to as how it helps acne. If acne is hormonal and gets worse closer to that time of the month...then how does the changing/increasing level of hormones help to keep skin clear?

They say OTC is good for your skin...but I'm just confused to as why/how it works. Oh...I'm on Aviane now...which is the generic of Alesse..but I think it's making my skin worse.

Thanks!

I was on it years ago and it worked well to control my outbreaks. Still got the hormonal zit here and there, but my acne seems in control while on birth control. I just had a baby 6 months ago and quit breastfeeding 3 weeks ago and noticed I was breaking out more, so got on ortho tricyclen and my acne hasn't subsided yet. I actually am more oily than ever and breaking out on my chin.

I know this doesn't offer reissurance, but I'm sticking it out and will definitely update of my progress because I feel like people need to know that sometimes you just have to stick stuff out to see the end result, which will hopefully be acne-free or somewhat acne-free skin.

Anyone else experience an initial breakout and oily skin and then it subside in a month or two while on ortho tricyclen?

I'm pretty sure Alesse is one of the BCP's that aggravates acne.

Tri-cyclen is one of the ones that is supposed to be better for controlling acne. I was on it for 9 years from the age of 19-28. I never really had acne as a teenager, and during my time on the pill I never got any. Then I went off of it... about 6 or 7 months later I started breaking out. I tried Pro-active, GM Collins acne line, and antibiotics (minocyclin) but nothing really helped, so I went back on tri-cyclen again. I've been back on it for 3 months now, and so far still have acne. Eventually, I'm hoping things will clear up.

Even though tri-cyclen isn't working for me yet, Alesse isn't supposed to work at all, so I would definitely switch. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and I'll let you know if my face clears up.

Just a quick update. My face has been clearing up the week I've been on the sugar pill of tri-cyclene, so I will update you to let you know if it continues, or if once I go back on the regular active pills I break out again. This is just my first pack of pills I'm finishing. Will keep you updated!!