Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tgrah2010

My 5th time on Accutane!

DAY 19

Today is day 19 of my 5th round of Accutane. Basically long story short I was on Accutane when I was 16 (full 6 month course) my acne was put into remission until I was 19. Since this time I have been on and off of Accutane, however, due to complications (which I will speak to later, only real major complications were ear problems!) never was able to finish a full 6 months again! Now at 24 (will be 25 on January 2) I am on Accutane for the 5th and I am hoping final time. Starting at 30mg a day for first month. All I did was go to my doctor and she gave it to me on the spot- Gotta love Canada! lol I think its because I have been on it so many times? Below are my photos, and one of me at a Christmas party this weekend (no editing done on it)- all I can say is THANK GOD for makeup!

Symptoms to date: Dry lips, dry eyes (I wear contacts and am currently able to wear them still), really ichy skin and back pain (seems to run down my spine- has anyone else felt this?)

Skin: I didn't think there was much improvement until I saw these photos! A little bit is seen-not much. I did have a huge Initial breakout starting at week one until now- But I think the acne is finally healing!

post-141292-1290476490_thumb.jpg

post-141292-1290476640_thumb.jpg

post-141292-1290476490_thumb.jpg

post-141292-1290476640_thumb.jpg

X3Kell3X: Thanks! It is interesting how much makeup can do! If it weren't for it I wouldn't leave the house a lot of the time. I will post some pictures (close up) with the make up. Obviously close up you can see the active bumps, however, with tons of practice I have figured out how to cover up all of the redness! Actually a lot of people in my life don't realize how bad my acne is because I wear makeup all the time. I think the only people who haven't seen me with it on are my fiance, family and a few close friends... actually I have been going ot the gym lately and not wearing makeup- I do feel like I get some weird looks, but its probably in my head! I dream of waking up and putting on NO makeup at all! Soon I hope!

Thanks for your post!

I'm curious to hear about the ear problems! If you don't mind sharing of course...

Other than that, you are absolutely stunning! And you have a georgous smile and light in your eyes (I realize how cheesy that sounds but sometimes when people smile they don't look genuinely happy in photos but you do!)

Good luck, I hope you have no complications this time!

Hey Im on day 19 too! Although Im on a higher dose than you it seems

Oh and its my third time on this bloody drug :(

Well good luck!

This time is the last one!! Don't give up, you deserve it :) I'm also on day 19, right through the initial breakout YAY!!

Hi,

Just dropping by to wish you good luck on your course and congrats on your engagement! I'm just about done with my 1st month, also engaged, and live in Canada too. yay :) Yeah...my derm prescribed it pretty easily and just told me to start taking it even before he saw my blood tests...I guess they're pretty lenient here compared to the US. :P

You look really pretty in your pic..what kind of makeup do you use? :)

Day 22

This is not good: so much for being done with my IB. I have what feels like 1000 more actives and tons of cysts under the skin near my jaw line. So painful- I could barely sleep on my side last night. I am not a happy camper! I took some pics from today and will post tomorrow so you can all see how bad it is! I don't have much time so here is a quick update:

Skin: Horrible as mentioned above, when will I start clearing?

Side effects: My eyes are sooo dry- must buy eye drops ASAP.

-tons of back pain

-really tired and feeling unmotivated

-MOODY! My fiance is not happy about this one! lol

Thank you all so muchfor your support and encouraging words! It means a lot to me. I will check out all your pages soon, I have just been so busy!

BorntoRun: Thanks about the smile! It is very sweet of you- and after how bad my skin is today I needed to hear it! I have no problems sharing about my ear problems. Basically I was on Accutane from February to April and in April I woke up one morning with my left ear echoing everything I heard, even my own voice. It was terrifying and I immediately stopped Accutane as I knew tinnitus was a possible side effect. I went to my doctor the same day and sure enough he suspected the Accutane and told me to not go back on it and wait to see what happened to my ears. 2 weeks later the tinnitus went away. I was really lucky and many cases caused by Accutane never go away. At that point I swore I wouldn’t go back on Accutane as its too risky-but now here I am again taking the same risks. My acne is worse than it has ever been…so many cysts I can’t even remember getting when I was a teen. Its weird because my acne seemed to be better when it came back when I was 19 and now it seems to be at an all time bad. Back to the ear thing- I am not even sure it was actually caused by the Accutane or if the fact that I have played the drums was a contributing factor. Maybe it was a combination of both? I never used to protect my ears. I now am using ear protection with I practice with my band. Also, my plan is to drink tons of water in the hopes that hydrating myself will help with preventing any problems with ears, eyes etc.

joe1985: Thanks! Same day buddy and both repeat users! If you don’t mind me asking did you finish full courses the other 2 times you were on Accutane?

Heine: Thank you. Glad to hear you made it through your initial breakout- I think I am having a SECOND horrible one! Ekkk. Good luck on your course!

(-_-): Thank you for your support! Congrats on your engagement as well! I know for me the wedding is a huge part in wanting to be acne-free!!! I will post all my makeup information in the next few days here… I have been so busy! Good luck on your course!

Edited by tgrah2010

Hey, yes I finished two full courses and both times my skin was great afterwards although the last time I begged for a follow up appointment about 9 months later just incase it came back again...but they said they had full confidence it wouldn't! So ive had to wait ages to get back on it but my derm thought as Id been on it twice before and because my acne wasnt that bad Id only need a 3 month course, however since then ive had the IB and my acne is a lot worse so Im a bit skeptical about that.

All I can say though is the last two times it really did work for me, obviously only temporarily but hopefully third time lucky

Day 23

SO HAPPY: Just went to my doctor and she has now put me on 60mg a day starting on December 4! Merry Christmas to me! I am both nervous and excited as this it is the highest dose I have EVER been on! Ekkk. I am excited because hopefully the higher dose will be more effective… but REALLY nervous about side effects!

Day 25

Today is the first day my face isn't in pain! Even though there is no visable improvement in the skin I feel like there might as well be I am so excited! :clap:

Skin: Same. Some new actives.... :wall:

Side effects:

-loss of concentration (HUGE) Can't even barely write in my log and make logical sense! I have been having trouble writing reports for work!

-headaches- I am prone to these to begin with so I am thinking the Accutane is probably just bringing them on more often. Maybe dehydration?

-sore, when normally wouldn't be- My band came over tonight and normally I can play the drums for hours and be fine. After playing around 1 hour I was so sore and stiff- feel like I just went to the gym. Side note: Have been protecting my ears and they feel great! Please no tinnitus again!

-Eyes really dry! May need to wear glasses vs my contacts

I am really nervous for when I start 60mg a day- I believe its December 4 that I will be on this doesage and I am really nervous! I am worried my side effects are going to just go crazy with this jump. Anyone else around 120lbs and on 60 a day? I have never been on this high of a dose and am very nervous. If I am already having this many side effects at 30mg/day then what will happen when it doubles?

Hi! I'm currently on day 34. I weigh about the same as you and I used to be on 40 mg/day. Last week, my derm changed my dose to 40 mg and then 80 mg on alternate days...so far it's been ok. :) I was also scared about an increased dose, but my derm said it'll make things go faster. My skin has just been really dry....I was in a rush the other day and forgot to moisturize my body and by noon I was developing a reddish rash like thing on my leg and arm, eczema I think? Well, it went away after moisturizing...thankfully. :)

omg...I can totally relate with how you're feeling extra moody! I think my fiance thinks I've gone nuts, although thankfully he's been really patient with me. I started crying the other day when he told me that he ate some really good chocolate at work (because he didn't save one for me!) aaahh...I never get upset about such small, silly things...haha It's actually kind of funny now that I think of it. :wacko:

Here are a few things that might help you:

FACE: I've been using a bit of emu oil on my face right before I moisturize and it seems to be helping a lot with the dryness and also helps reduce a bit of redness. yay! People also say that emu oil is good for helping fade red marks. I've only been using it for 2 weeks or so, and it seems to be working well for me so far. I'm also using aveeno ultra-calming daily moisturizer with spf 30 on top of the emu oil, because I need extra moisture and sun protection. My nose was feeling extra dry, and someone suggested putting aquaphor around the edges, at night, and that has been helping me lots too! It took me a while to find aquaphor here in Canada cuz the label says "Eucerin" in big letters and aquaphor in smaller letters near the bottom, but I found it in shoppers drugmart where the other lotions and things are. Its also good for your lips, especially at nighttime.

EYES: I wear contacts as well, and genteal eye drops (the ones for contact lenses) have been great!

NOSE: I had my first nosebleed last week, and I guess its cuz I've been lazy and not using the nasal lubricant like my pharmacist recommended. She told me to put a little bit of the nasal gel lubricant in my nose to help prevent nosebleeds since our skin and everything gets so dry!

HEADACHES: Grr..I also suffer from headaches and I'm prone to migraines. :( It seems like I feel a lot better when I drink more water, it also helps my eyes feel less dry. Oh...the eye drops also seem to help the headaches....I feel like I get headaches when my eyes are too dry. Another thing that kinda helps me when I'm feeling really bad is drinking green tea or something with a little bit of caffeine, especially when I'm at work and have to focus on what I'm doing.

Edited by (-_-)

Congrats on your progress! I was just wondering what kinda foundation/makeup you use. I'm on day 8 and was off work this past week and am going back to work tomorrow. I didn't wear any makeup and today I went to run errands and put on my bare essentials and it looked horrific! I have been piling on the cetaphil cream but am flaking everywhere. I don't know what I'm gonna do for work tomorrow. I work in a salon and I think tomorrow is gonna be really hard. I'm to scared to exfoliate since my skin is so red already. I think I look better w/o @ this point but cringe at the thought of not wearing anything :(

Congrats on your progress! I was just wondering what kinda foundation/makeup you use. I'm on day 8 and was off work this past week and am going back to work tomorrow. I didn't wear any makeup and today I went to run errands and put on my bare essentials and it looked horrific! I have been piling on the cetaphil cream but am flaking everywhere. I don't know what I'm gonna do for work tomorrow. I work in a salon and I think tomorrow is gonna be really hard. I'm to scared to exfoliate since my skin is so red already. I think I look better w/o @ this point but cringe at the thought of not wearing anything :(

Thanks for your post! I know exactly what you are talking about with the piling!!! My skin was doing that with the moisturizer I am using now, but stopped once I let it soak in for a about 5 min before doing concealer or foundation. I actual use Bare Minerals as well, but before I apply it I use a lot of concealer. I have been lucky up until this point because my skin has not been dry so I have been able to keep using the mineral makeup- I find its so natural looking. Here is what I use and the order I put it on:

1. I put TONS of moisturizer on and let it soak in. Currently using Derma E Problem Skin Moisturizer... you have to rub this in for like 5 minutes but it has been really good lately.

2. I always try to use a foundation primer - it really helps with the smoothness of the makeup. Currently using: Lancome Perfecting Makeup Base (which is nice because its oil free):

3. Green Maybelline Cover Stick Corrector Concealer- I apply this with a makeup brush and I do it in a blotting motion until it is smoothed over all the red areas. Try to blend, but don't be afraid as your face will LOOK GREEN! This works great to cancel out any red.

4. I use a concealer brush to put cream colored concealer on next (same blotting motion used for green concealer). Cover all green areas with this concealer. Currently use: NARS concealer (buy it at Sephora- its kind of pricy but worth it)

5. Then I let this all set for a good 5 minutes. Next I use the bare Minerals Mineral foundation and finish with bronzer and blush. Usually works pretty good! You always see the bumps from actives as this is kind of hard to get away from. It took me a while to perfect my makeup routine, but it is worth the time/effort! It is a pain when you just want to wake up and head out. Must leave lots of time. Also big tip: always do make up in NATURAL light. I was in a rush the other day and made the mistake of doing my makeup in my bathroom under indoor light... scary when I got outside!

Good luck!

(-_-): Thank you so much for sharing and helpful hints! It does make me feel better about starting the 60mg! My fiance hasn't been so understanding about the mood swings- instead of crying I have been a HUGE BI$%&! Not good! I feel so irritated all the time! I have been drinking lots of water and I am thinking of trying the emu oil... where can I buy it? I know its not supposed to matter about oils and such when on Accutane but I am nervous it may make me break out... thoughts?

Edited by tgrah2010

Good to hear you're hanging in there!!!! And you seem really talented with makeup! I do pretty well but hell I've never been THAT good :)

I got the emu oil in a health foods store (one of those where they sell vitamins and supplements and all sorts of natural products). I've looked around and in some stores it's near other oils, like jojoba oil, and in other stores it's with anti-inflammatory products. If you can't find it, I think some people have bought it on amazon or other online stores.

I've been using it for a few weeks and it hasn't made me breakout more....and I was scared of it making my acne worse since it is oil after all. :doh: Anyway, just use a little bit, and rub it gently, especially on any active pimples, and then moisturize with your regular moisturizer on top. I find that when I use it, it helps reduce the redness of my pimples and the accutane is drying them up pretty fast too! :lol:

Someone also recommended jojoba oil to me, but I haven't tried that out yet...

Good luck! Oh and thanks for posting the make up tips, I'll have to try them out soon! :D

Thank you so much! Can the lotion you use be bought in a store or did you get it from your derm? I will definitely try thoughs tips tomorrow :) You're the best!

DAY 30

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who has been following my log and supporting me. It means a lot:

BornToRun: Thanks for the support! I really enjoy doing makeup, in general, which is probably why I have become so good at it. It has really been a life safer- without it I would probably just sit at home all weekend and stare at my face. This way I am still living my life, even with the acne!

Littleguy: Thank you for checking out my log and for the support!

(-_-): Thanks for the great information and support! The Emu is something I will try. I may wait though as my skin has been doing good with the current moisturizer I have been using (not dry and not oily). Its interesting that it drys up the actives!??! Hmmm maybe I will have to go get some. I have used jojoba oil in the past, however, it was when I was not on anything for my acne. It made me break out in areas I wasn’t even prone to acne in. I immediately stopped- Maybe I should have kept with it a bit longer. I guess with the Accutane in my system it may be a good thing to try out again.

Luvthuet: The lotion I use is just from Shoppers Drug Mart. It is VERY expensive, but has been perfect in balancing my skin (not to oily or dry… so far). This may change once I jump to 60mg/day TOMORROW! Eek! Thanks for following my log!

UPDATES

Yay I am one month down!!! Tomorrow I will start my 60mg/day and am VERY NERVOUS!

Skin: Skin wise my face is seeming to dry up a bit more, which is nice. Not a whole lot of improvement... My current actives are shrinking- only a few new actives, however due to red marks it doesn't look like any improvement. BUT under my skin cysts are mostly healed, and my face is not in pain which is nice. You can REALLY see improvement when I wear makeup as there are less bumps and red marks are hidden! I will post pictures in a few days here. Another plus is I don't have to wash my hair EVERYDAY! Which is usually the case because it ends up looking so greasy after just a day.

SO EXCITED: Last night my band played (first time since I have started Accutane) I was very nervous about this live show as I had problems with Tinnitus last time I was on Accutane which is why my course was cut short after only two months. I wore ear plugs the whole night, we rocked the show :boohoo: .. I even had a few drinks- first time since being on Accutane this course. In the past I have drank while on Accutane, but figure this time I will be really good to my body, plus alcohol can bring on tinnitus if you have a history of it. Anyway long story short: My ears feel great. Here's to hoping it stays that way!

Frustrations: I just want to vent for a moment about a co-worker who disagrees with my use of Accutane. She is a great lady who is extremely kind and I know she means well. She believes in positive thinking, and finding out what is behind things (within the body) and in my case, what is my body telling me by giving me acne? I agree to some extent in what she is saying, but feel frustrated as my family has a history for years of severe acne. Like I said I know she means well, but can’t help but take this as a way of blaming those who have acne on something they could change (ie positive thinking, diet, health issues etc). I know these things can help, however, feel frustrated and judged! Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue?

Edited by tgrah2010

I don't know how I didn't see this post earlier but I came around to check up on you and see that you last posted this almost 3 weeks ago!!! How are you???

As far as the coworker goes, like I posted on someone else's thread, no one understands, unless they've been through it too. And I think your acne is telling you that your skin chemistry is messed up. So I don't think there's any shame in fixing it if you can :)

Glad to hear your ears are doing well! How is everything else going?

DAY 56

I went MIA on here for a while.. mostly due to the fact that I felt my acne was not improving at all and there was no point posting new photos, and updating on no improvement! I am happy to let everyone know there have been no crazy new side effects since starting the 60mg/day (knock on wood)!! The only new side effect I have really noticed is a bit of light sensitivity (with my vision), which is only noticed when its really sunny out. Other than that things have been good (side effects wise). My ears are still doing great!!!

SKIN: Today I feel really good about my skin. I almost went to work without makeup on, but then changed my mind. My right side is looking really good (only 4 actives and a few bumps around jaw line under the skin). My left side (which has always been worse) still has tons of actives but they are all healing!! YAY... I am starting to see some improvement! YES!! I will post pictures tomorrow- hopefully they will show progress, however, they may not as I still have TONS of red marks!

BorntoRun : Thank you so much for checking up on me and following my log! :)

Edited by tgrah2010

No problem girlie! We had similar side effects so I feel it would be helpful to both of us if we keep up on each other! And I understand the feeling of not wanting to update if things aren't getting any better. Soon enough they will be though and I can't wait to see you post about it :)

I'm glad you haven't had any crazy side effects since starting the 60mg! That dosage scares me for some reason. Probably because that's the dosage they originally had me on when I had all those crazy side effects. Now I never want to go back to that dosage again!

Glad things aren't too crazy, sorry you haven't seen much improvement... stay strong!