Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

"Gluten isn't healthy for anyone" --- I read it often, but I don't understand why!

I know gluten isn't healthy for those with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity. But I've read on websites that gluten actually isn't healthy for anyone. None of us should be eating gluten.

(I agree with this in theory because I believe we should make sweet potatoes our staple food because it is the single best food in the world, according to the nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

But, can anyone explain why gluten isn't healthy for anyone? Is it an inflammatory food? What is the reasoning behind this belief!

It contains WGA (wheat germ aglutinin), one of a host of lectins. A lectin is an anti nutrient that has the abilty to stop minerals like zinc, calcium iron etc being absorbed. It can basically enter your body completely intact and can literally take exact form of a bacteria or virus, which your body then mistakes to be an intruder. It then starts attacking said virus (which is actually not a virus at all, its still the lectin) and starts to damage the cells its attached to, which in this case is the intestinal wall.

The result is 'leaky gut', where by little holes in the wall are made and things which are still totally intact can enter the blood stream. It can be bits of food, viruses and even chemicals like pesticides from food.

If a lectin gets into your bloodstream and to the brain, your immune system attacks your brain cells, resulting in multiple slerosis - your pancreas; type 1 diabetes and so on

The reason it does this is because usually when you eat a plant, you digest what you need, and poo out seeds, which can allow said plant to grow again and ensure its survival. When you eat a grain however this doesnt happen, your body will destroy any seeds etc that the grain needs to grow again, so when you poop the remains out thats the end of the plant. Lectins are the plants of way of basically screwing you up for eating it.

That is a pretty brief description, but it covers the basics and hopefully helps shed some light on the topic. Its also correct in saying that it affects EVERYONE, ever wonder why almost every old age human has some sort of bone disease? Yep, lectins, but of course they didnt 'feel' any problems through out their younger years so gluten wasn't causing any problems right? No - it most definately was but they just didnt realise until it was too late.

Edited by ben90

Gluten lectins damage the intestinal linings. It also mimics insulin and so interferes with the carb metabolism process.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2705254

Of course, there are other foods/nutrients that repair intesinal linings and food combinations and cooking methods that bind up or destroy the lectins so less/no damage is done.

In addition, wheat is a very common allergen.

Edited by alternativista

I know a lot of super healthy people who eat a ton of gluten containing foods everyday. I think most of the gluten and grains bashing came from the paleo diet.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I know a lot of healthy people who often go to the McDonnalds. Does that mean that they should go there. No!

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Honestly, I see no issue with someone eating gluten/wheat if they do not suffer any actual negative symptoms from it and feel comfortable when eating it. Registered dietitians still recommend eating certain types of whole grain bread, and honestly... if gluten didn't cause me massive bloating, I'd still be eating it.

I think what the people above you were trying to say is that, even those who don't experience immediate negative symptoms ARE still being negatively affected by it, and for these people the negative symptoms will show up later in life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I limit grains because there are just better, more nutritious , and more tasty things to eat. The more bread, cereal, and other grains I were to eat, the LESS fresh healthy food I could eat.

Thank you, everyone! In very brief: Gluten is like going to McDonalds. And I'd never go to McDonalds (gross!).

Are there other foods that contain lectins?

Edited by Dotty1

Thank you, everyone! In very brief: Gluten is like going to McDonalds. And I'd never go to McDonalds (gross!).

Are there other foods that contain lectins?

All foods contain lectins. But different ones that do different things and in different amounts. And I provided a link to a thread all about lectins in my prior post.

Edited by alternativista

I know a lot of super healthy people who eat a ton of gluten containing foods everyday. I think most of the gluten and grains bashing came from the paleo diet.

No, its fact. The damage done by gluten is done over long term, so people don't actively feel the damage being done. Many of the so called 'normal' aging in humans should not happen and is down to grains and certain other food stuffs that cause this aging to happen.

Registered dietitians still recommend eating certain types of whole grain bread, and honestly... if gluten didn't cause me massive bloating, I'd still be eating it.

Thats because the majority of dietitians in the world are idiots. The ironic thing is they are almost never healthy theselves, you can see their overweight with smptoms of insulin resistance, yet still perscribe a diet full of grains because thats what the government tells them.

Also, the reason you get bloated is because the gluten is getting to work. The amount of times i've heard an apprently 'healthy' person say they are always bloated and tired is stupid.

without grains humanity wouldn't have evolved and we wouldn't be sitting on this lovely forum today

all hail grains

Edited by captshiner