Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Natural Cures

Oil Cleansing Method - Good and Bad

So about 6 weeks ago, I switched from using Proactiv to using OCM. I had been applying castor oil (neat) on my face for about two weeks before that (to clear up some dark freckles) and the results were so amazing that I decided to switch to OCM. Proactiv has really helped with my acne (moderate), I've been using it for years, but it was so drying and my skin was pumping out oil to compensate. I was like an oil rig for goodness sakes!! I was getting an oily sheen over my dry patches.

I do OCM (80% grapeseed oil and 20% castor oil) only in the evenings and I do it two days on, one day off. On the day that I don't OCM in the evening, I exfoliate with a honey scrub (honey, cornmeal, oatmeal, etc). In the mornings, I wipe my face with a washcloth and warm water, and tone with witch hazel and moisturize with a light grapeseed oil moisturizer. Anyway, three weeks ago (about a week before I got my period) I broke out with the worst case of cystic acne that I've ever had in a long time, on my chin only! I started using my Proactiv mask at night just on my chin but it didn't seem to help so finally after two weeks of the old cysts shrinking and new huge cystic bumps appearing, I went back to using Proactiv full on a few days ago, but ON MY CHIN ONLY. The cysts are horrible, they make me look like I have purple insects crawling on my chin. Just two days of Proactiv have helped shrink the existing cysts and prevented the new ones from blowing up into huge cystic bumps which scar and look like insects! I don't want to stop OCM because my skin, with the exception of my chin, is smooth and even-toned, the hyperpigmentation on my cheeks (from sun damage) has lightened dramatically, and my skin actually looks decent when I put it next to my 2-year old son's face and look into the mirror to compare. I used to cringe when I did this. The redness from the sides of my nose has disappeared and my skin glows! There is also no more oil during the day - my face stays matte. I only have to blot once throughout the day whereas before I had to blot and reapply pressed powder every hour!!

So I don't know what to say. I don't want to stop using OCM because my skin looks so amazing right now, except for my chin. Because my hormones go crazy before my period, my chin has always had a tendency to break out but I've always managed to keep it under control with the Proactiv. The cysts I have now are awful and I'm just thankful I still have the Proactiv because it's really helping. I think what I'll have to do is keep using the Proactiv on my chin until my next period is over (so another 5 ot 6 weeks!) and if the cysts are gone by then and no new ones appear, I'll OCM my whole face and just use the Proactiv on my chin 2 weeks before each period. I hate the thought of having to buy Proactiv just to keep my chin under control (expensive!!) AND using OCM on the rest of my face but I can't give up either right now, they both have benefits.

Why not use the OCM on the rest of your face and go back to the proactiv for your chin? It's a pain, but that's what combination skin is all about.

I believe grapeseed oil is one of the comedogenic oils. That could be the cause of the breakout. Some non or low comedogenic oils are castor oil which is a low comedogenic oil and has a rating of 1 on a 0-5 scale. Non-comedogenic oils are safflower oil and sunflower oil which all have a 0 rating.

I believe that most people use the oil cleansing method the wrong way. I used to use proactive, and I broke out severely once I stopped using it. I was at my wits end when I finally started the cleansing method. My skin looks amazing and I no longer avoid going out because of my breakouts.

What I do is:

1) Massage glycerine into my skin for about 2-3 minutes

2) Run a facetowel under warm-hot water (not scorching), wring it, then place the towel on my face till it cools.

3) I dry my face and massage glycerine into my skin again, then use the hot towel again.

4) Then I wash my face with my mild cleanser, and use my regular moisturizer.

Most people think the oils are cleansing your skin, but it doesn't. From what i've read, it just preps the skin for the cleanser.

Good luck!

Edited by adire