Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somehopeleft

Accutane Users - Tanning and/or Alcohol

Okay so I've been on Accutane about a week now... but I have a question to those who have been on in a while.. my doctor told me to stay out of the sun and avoid it as much as possible... okay, fine. He also told me not to drink as it can damage your liver... while I don't plan on doing either of these anytime soon... have any of you tanned or drank while on accutane, and how did it effect you? I don't know if I can go 5+ months without tanning - because I'm naturally pale and like to have a little color in my skin (it looks healthier) and while I rarely drink and can wait on this... I would like to have a party for my birthday in December and it would suck to see all my friends drink and me not be able to at my own party.

Your thoughts and advice are kindly appreciated.

tanning bad idea. you skin may turn flush and red from the dryness accutane causes,, so tanning you should not do. sunburns are pretty fierce on tane so not a good idea. you can sacrifice a tan for this cant you???

alchohol is pretty strongly prohibited but most people on tane who have a few drinks here and there are not affected. if you do you may not want to drink for about 4-5 days before blood work.

Hmm.

Well, I have to say I was quite lax with applying sunscreen at times when on accutane, and did suffer some sunburn as a result. However, I did go on holiday whilst on the drug (not to anywhere too hot but sunny enough to get a tan) and I tanned a little through my sunscreen.

I still wouldn't recommend it, though, as your skin will be very fragile, and, of course, everyone's skin reacts in a different way to accutane - you might suffer a more serious reaction to sunlight.

(also, you'll be taking it over autumn and Winter for the majority of your course when most people are fairly pale so it shouldn't worry you too much)

As far as alcohol goes, I did get drunk at times (I was on accutane during my first year of university), although I found I got drunk more quickly, and was much more likely to be sick afterwards. Again, i wouldn't advise it. If I had my time again, I would probably have been more strict with myself. You don't want to risk causing liver damage.

Good luck with your course. smile.gif

I guess it depends somewhat on your dosage. I was on half dose, sometime 3/4, and pretty much lived as i usually did throught my treatment.

I drank as much as usual (if not more, it was too my first year of uni) throughout, and my blood results remiained good, they were in fact better one month somehow. I didnt get sunburned either. I was out in the sun plenty. I play tennis a lot and would be out in the sun 4 hours at a time. I used high spf sun screen though, and kept applying moisturizer throughout. the sunscreen would drip off in about 30 mins but i didnt get perticularly burned. I regularly finished matches very red faced and with some slight burning. I think you could get away with tanning a bit with the right protection.

overall my body coped v well with accutane, I didnt get any side effects eccept the unavoidable ones (dry lips/face skin). so there u go.

I feel compelled to post every time I see a thread like this. Please man, AVOID any kind of unecessary skin irritation/contact with anything whilst on accutane.

If you have been on accutane only for a week, you may be in for a shock- you sure as hell won't need tanning to get colour into your skin, the accutane will take care of that, I know from experience!! By the middle/end of your course it is highly likely that your skin will be very red and irritable, not only would tanning make this look even worse, it is explicitly stated that you should not do this whilst on accutane. The long term health of your skin is at stake here. In terms of drinking, again I would follow the guideline, which is not to. Some people have found that they have been able to and haven't noticed any probs but no two people are the same. With a potent drug like accutane you are best advised to follow all guidelines in order to mitigate any potential problems. Besides, it's your own party right? Even though you may feel a bit left out or whatever, it's your birthday and presumably the people you would be hanging out with are people you would consider friends, they certainly won't judge you or make a joke of it if they are really decent mates. Quite simply you're on medication and are advised not to drink, they'll be able to handle that, don't worry about it man, I'm sure you can have a great time without it, I hope so anyway. All the best man, and hang in there. It won't necessarily be easy, but it's worth it.

About being sunburn, I am usually a very pale person, and I am only outside maybe 10 minutes a day max, and my arms are tanner then they ever have been before. if you do go out and lay out in the sun, do it for a fraction of your normal time.

I havent had anything to drink since uping my dose from 20mg. When I drank while being on 20mg a day, I got drunk a lot quicker then I usually do, but nothing major, I felt fine afterwards.

Simple answer No and No. For me at least.

I get drunk more easily on Tane and when I did drink earlier on in my treatment I had a bad reaction- Sweating and really flushed face/ extremely dry lips even though it is like 6 degress Celcius outside so I am avoiding alcohol while on Tane.

Also I am normally real Dark and keep the darkness through winter without having to Tan but man my face is so pale right now it is unbelievable because of the peeling effect of Tane- I mean people have commented on how white I am and my face flushes easily now as well- but I dont really care cause this stuff is getting rid of my acne and so if I have to put up with no drinking and a pale face for a few months to get rid of this Damn Acne then thats what i will do- No real sacrifice anyway and then when summer rolls along I can do all this stuff as much as I want.

Parks

I have olive skin and don't burn easily...when I was on accutane I was out in the sun unplanned for about 2 hrs. I absolutely roasted my face...took about 3 weeks for it to heal completely.

Lol! For some reason that made me laugh! Why are you so desperate for a tan?!

I don't think a spray on tan would actually be a problem, but I don't think it would look that good, as your skin is apt to be quite flaky and peeling, so the texture of the tan would presumably be very uneven and blotchy.

bb_eusa_think.gif

No tanning, real or fake! Like I say, you've only been on it a week, you wait til you're well into the thick of it and your face is redder than an angry tomato, you'll be wishing you were back to your old pale self! Besides, once again, you should avoid any sort of unecessary skin contact with anything whatsoever, whether it be sunlight, or something cosmetic like that. Obviously you will need moisturiser, but no fake tan, it will make you look hideous, trust me. You will have plenty of clour in your cheeks in a few weeks without adding even more! PLus as the last post said, fake tan would look horrible on top of dry/irritable/blotchy skin, and if your skin isn't those 3 things yet, then give it a few weeks and it will be. I know how much it sucks, I"ve been there, you have to stick it out and accept you might look rough for a few weeks I"m afraid! It's a small pay-off for the reward.

Now now Jonesy not everyone turns into a tomato face, I've read dozens of journals so don't make me paranoid just yet. I was a little bit red for one day but now I'm almost normal color again... I know I'm just starting but I'm hoping I won't have severe reddness problems.

Anyways, thanks everyone for their advice... I know that having no acne is better than having a tan... I'm just paranoid and starting school again soon and just want to be pretty.

ph34r.gifdry.gifcool.gifohmy.gifhuh.gif

its not severe redness silly it just looks like you were in the sun you know the red right b4 that hot tan you seek wink.gif

in terms of looking hot doesnt your tan fade by dec or jan or do you tan in a bed through out the winter?

I'm only being realistic, it won't necessarily be severe redness but it will certainly 'put some colour in your cheeks' as my dad always says! Week one is no indicator of what side-effects you will have, pretty much every accutane user experiences redness to some extent, mild or severe. Some people who write journals may not comment on it if it isn't that bad (although in my experience pretty much every accutane journal mentions redness regularly). The combination of accutane redness/flushing with spray on could look potentially really bad, and you don't want to be putting unecessary stuff directly on your skin. I was kinda the same when I was on accutane, for a few weeks I was thinking 'this is a doddle, spots drying up, not much redness, easy' and then after about 10 weeks I ended up looking like I had been put in the stocks whilst every habitant of my town took it in turns to sign their autograph on my face with a soldering iron. I"m not saying you will be that bad, but you will experience some redness, some irritation, and obviously dryness. All the best.

guys, ive been on 20mg for around 3 months,. im around 70 odds kilos and got an important night and haven't drunk since ive been on it, im not planning to drink alot, i just wanna know if it will affect my skin in any way?

i know that its not good my my liver and my tolerance will lower, but will it effect my skin?

cheers bb_eusa_wall.gif

Well as you say it is the liver which is the problem, it won't directly affect your skin as such, but then again if we're talking overall health, it is widely acknowledged that a healthy liver is important to keep the body pure. I wouldn't risk doing it any more damage personally, accutane is an extremely strong drug, don't underestimate it would be my advice.

I noticed there was alot of talk about tanning on this forum. I asked my derma about tanning. He said the indoor tanning is safer then outdoor tanning and that tanning is good for your skin. Think about it.... People in warmer states and countrys have a lower skin cancer rate then places that don't. Its because that tanning is a natrual skin protectin. This was all told to me by my doctor.

In a nutshell:

If you tan you'll turn red, not brown.

If you drink it'll be extra strain on your liver. I think It's okay to drink if you're on a relatively low dose of Accutane. I drank about 3 times a week while on my course. Just to be safe - considering It may catch up to you later - don't drink too often/too much.

Caprice: tanning is good for your skin if you're not on accutane. whilst on the tane your skin is very sensitive and only burns.