Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BorntoRun

Just another log... (UPDATE POST-TANE)

Woww hey totally been neglecting this log lately. 80 hour weeks are not very good for my attentiveness to this log apparently! Since I need to be in bed soon (I gotta wake up at 5am to run) I'll try to update this as quickly (but thoroughly) as possible. I love that you all love how honest I am, I was worried some would think it's TMI :)

Week 12 Recap:

Acne:

I got good news and bad news in this department. Good news is that I'm pretty clear and the clogged pore that's been there since before I started accutane is finally unclogged. Bad news? The reason it's unclogged was because it finally decided to become all infected and turn into a mountanous zit which I drained about 3 hours ago. The little clog (now surrounded by yellow pus) came out with the rest of it, so.. no more clog. But a giant red thing on my face. However, the redness from fresh zits seems to disappear remarkably quick now as long as I don't "over-irritate" the area with harsh chemicals. I'm thinking that area of my face will look normal again by this weekend (thank goodness with valentine's day coming up!)

Side Effects?

Nothing crazy new here. The most noticeable stuff is the tinnitus still, although it hasn't gotten any worse the past 2 months so I'm not worried. Like I said before, I'd rather live with the ringing in my ears than acne.

My poop is still hard little rocks that are extremely painful. I need to remember to drink more.

I get blisters and chafe SUPER easy when I run. It kinda sucks and no amount of body glide (lube) or aquaphor seems to help. I'm hoping my toes will eventually just callus because they blister EVERY time I run. You'd think they'd just realize that this is happening on a daily basis and just callus already!

That's really it :) Oh, and I've stopped washing my hair more than once a week.

Life:

Wow.. life... is crazy. I'm going to try to do this in bullet form.

• Officially signed up for my marathon! I'm freaking out man! I ran 16 miles on Saturday though and things went well although I AM a bit sore. I'm so excited... and nervous. Hopefully accutane won't ruin this for me, although I feel like I wouldn't be this far if I couldn't do it. I'm already faring better than I did last year when I attempted a marathon.
  • Working 80 hours weeks... it sucks
  • boyfriend broke up with me. apparently he "doesn't want to make me a priority right now". Whatever. I'm already stalking some new guys :D That's right... I'm a playa!
  • Having some financial issues. Okay that's a lie. Really this is just the first time in my life that I've had to be completely financially independent (finally graduated college and the parents cut my funding off!) and I'm realizing I can't buy random crap all the time or go out to eat every night.. long story short here is that I'm growing up.

Thanks for visiting my log and showin me some love :D

Hi borntorun-

I just started accutane and found your log! I haven't read through it all yet, but was very excited to find another runner on accutane! Have you found accutane having effects on your running at all? This is one of my main concerns with taking it. What is your daily mileage? Right now i'm training for a halfmarathon and I really don't want accutane to ruin it. I also can't not run lol.

Hope you are doing well with your course! I look forward to reading up on your blog!

Woww hey totally been neglecting this log lately. 80 hour weeks are not very good for my attentiveness to this log apparently! Since I need to be in bed soon (I gotta wake up at 5am to run) I'll try to update this as quickly (but thoroughly) as possible. I love that you all love how honest I am, I was worried some would think it's TMI :)

Week 12 Recap:

Acne:

I got good news and bad news in this department. Good news is that I'm pretty clear and the clogged pore that's been there since before I started accutane is finally unclogged. Bad news? The reason it's unclogged was because it finally decided to become all infected and turn into a mountanous zit which I drained about 3 hours ago. The little clog (now surrounded by yellow pus) came out with the rest of it, so.. no more clog. But a giant red thing on my face. However, the redness from fresh zits seems to disappear remarkably quick now as long as I don't "over-irritate" the area with harsh chemicals. I'm thinking that area of my face will look normal again by this weekend (thank goodness with valentine's day coming up!)

Side Effects?

Nothing crazy new here. The most noticeable stuff is the tinnitus still, although it hasn't gotten any worse the past 2 months so I'm not worried. Like I said before, I'd rather live with the ringing in my ears than acne.

My poop is still hard little rocks that are extremely painful. I need to remember to drink more.

I get blisters and chafe SUPER easy when I run. It kinda sucks and no amount of body glide (lube) or aquaphor seems to help. I'm hoping my toes will eventually just callus because they blister EVERY time I run. You'd think they'd just realize that this is happening on a daily basis and just callus already!

That's really it :) Oh, and I've stopped washing my hair more than once a week.

Life:

Wow.. life... is crazy. I'm going to try to do this in bullet form.

• Officially signed up for my marathon! I'm freaking out man! I ran 16 miles on Saturday though and things went well although I AM a bit sore. I'm so excited... and nervous. Hopefully accutane won't ruin this for me, although I feel like I wouldn't be this far if I couldn't do it. I'm already faring better than I did last year when I attempted a marathon.
  • Working 80 hours weeks... it sucks
  • boyfriend broke up with me. apparently he "doesn't want to make me a priority right now". Whatever. I'm already stalking some new guys :D That's right... I'm a playa!
  • Having some financial issues. Okay that's a lie. Really this is just the first time in my life that I've had to be completely financially independent (finally graduated college and the parents cut my funding off!) and I'm realizing I can't buy random crap all the time or go out to eat every night.. long story short here is that I'm growing up.

Thanks for visiting my log and showin me some love :D

Sorry just found your last post, congrats on the 16 miles and signing up for your marathon. I see your worried about accutane ruining it too! My half is in May. I think running it plus working through having been on accutane is going to such a great accomplishment! We should start a forum for runners on accutane :razz:

Hey Pink! To answer your question, accutane isn't really affecting my running at all anymore. For the first month or two I definitely noticed it. I was WAY more sore than normal. But I think once my body acclimated to the accutane it hasn't really affected me. I also started taking fish oil so I'm not sure if I'm just acclimated now or if the fish oil helped. Either way, I barely notice extra soreness now. Like I told someone else on this forum, make you follow ALL preventative care that you might not have had to follow before. For example, I never really stretched or strength trained or iced before but on accutane, I do all of those things. I also make sure I get a good warm up and cool down in. Basically treat yourself like you are super fragile and take ALL measures you can to prevent any injury or extra soreness and you will probably be fine :) Just listen to your body the first month or so too. If it seems like too much, back off a little. You don't have to stop running though. I'm sure a half would be fine depending on how much you're already running :).

As for my weekly mileage, I run 6 miles on Tuesday (speedwork), 6 miles on Thursday (tempo work) and 10-22 miles on Saturday (long-slow-distance). So my weekly mileage is anywhere from 22-34 miles. Hope that answers your question :)

Hey Pink! To answer your question, accutane isn't really affecting my running at all anymore. For the first month or two I definitely noticed it. I was WAY more sore than normal. But I think once my body acclimated to the accutane it hasn't really affected me. I also started taking fish oil so I'm not sure if I'm just acclimated now or if the fish oil helped. Either way, I barely notice extra soreness now. Like I told someone else on this forum, make you follow ALL preventative care that you might not have had to follow before. For example, I never really stretched or strength trained or iced before but on accutane, I do all of those things. I also make sure I get a good warm up and cool down in. Basically treat yourself like you are super fragile and take ALL measures you can to prevent any injury or extra soreness and you will probably be fine :) Just listen to your body the first month or so too. If it seems like too much, back off a little. You don't have to stop running though. I'm sure a half would be fine depending on how much you're already running :).

As for my weekly mileage, I run 6 miles on Tuesday (speedwork), 6 miles on Thursday (tempo work) and 10-22 miles on Saturday (long-slow-distance). So my weekly mileage is anywhere from 22-34 miles. Hope that answers your question :)

Thanks so much! I def. slack on the stretching now, so I'm going to try to implement that as well, I really don't want an injury. I am also going to pick up some fish oil, I've taken it in the past and ran out and never refilled.

It seems like we have pretty similar running mileage.....I do about 5-6 during the week and then longer weekend runs, right now around 9 miles!

Good luck with your training!

Hey girl,

If you are having a hard time pooping and find yourself constipated I would look into adding probiotics to your regimen. A lot of times on antibiotics and medications our digestive tract can get a little fried and wa bam...we don't give a shit. (literally) Ha I would recommend that...I take them whenever my digestive tract is a little out of wack. I also eat Activia yogurt every day which also gives your body the good bacteria (that meds kill) it needs to make sure everything is moving. Do you eat breakfast every day?

I love water and I would just try and keep it up as much as you can. Fruits that have a ton of water in them are also a good option but yes, flat out H20 is the best thing you can do for your body.

Hope this helps!

Xo

Well... ended month 4 a few days ago. Skin is clear except one embedded clogged pore that's been there since the START of this damn course. It's just hanging out....

Every other one I had at the start has either just gone away or... blown up into something and then gone away. This little guy has just been chillin.

Other than that, nothing new for at least a month now. Oh wait, I did have a little pimple ONE day on my chin. Literally it was only there for a day so I almost forgot about it.

Other than that, the major side effects I'm dealing with are;

1. constipation is really bad and it hurts to go the bathroom. Yesterday I pooped out blood. I really need to work on my water intake, I know this.

2. dry eyes and I can't seem to work up the courage to use eye drops.

3. my poor hair is falling out. Not at an alarming rate, and I had enough to start with I think I'll be able to tough it out the last two months or so. However, it will definitely be thinner, and dryer. It looks like shit. I'm trying to drown it in conditioner all the time.... only washing once a week.

4. lips are dry but that's about it. Everything else has felt kinda normal.

Life Updates:

-Work is still nuts, working >80 hrs a week

-Marathon training is going great, ran 21 miles yesterday. Fish oil definitely cured all my accutane-induced muscle aches

-No new boys unfortunately

Soooo I finished my accutane course 2 months ago (7/1/2011) and just wanted to post an update for ya'll!

Skin: Still relatively clear. I get one pimple a month, and while it's somewhat big it's usually not bad unless I REALLY fuck with it. And sometimes I do.... lol!

Side Effects:

Those that have GONE AWAY since stopping accutane:

1. Constipation is completely gone (no more blood in poop) although sometimes it still stings to poop

2. Hair loss has stopped, and instead it's getting thicker!

3. Hair oily again

4. Achey joints moistly gone

5. ear "issues" mostly gone (pressure/pain gone, and I don't know if the tinnitus is better or I just don't notice it anymore but I'm fine with either)

6. Skin is not dry anymore

7. Lips are mostly fine but I still use chapstick

Those that are REMAINING after stopping accutane

1. Still sensitive to sun

2. Skin still a little sensitive but nothing like it was

That's all I can think about right now, it's been a pretty happy story here :)