Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chocobot

Pretty much no more acne for me

I'm 28, I've had acne since I was around 13 or so.

I healed completely one summer when I was getting a lot of sleep and sun, and then it came back when I had less sleep and less sun, and I healed again recently when on vacation, again while I had a lot of sleep and sun.

Anyway it came back after my vacation but now it is almost entirely under control. It's not 100% gone, I'll still get acne if I touch my face too much, drink alcohol, or consume too much sugar, and I still get the occasional pimple on my chin. But it's nothing like it used to be, it's no longer having an impact on my self esteem.

The only thing I can see that I might have done to cause my acne to subside is: eat one sweet potato with every dinner (I cut it in pieces and bake it in the oven, 450 for 17 mins, not pre-heated), drink water throughout the day but not too much (I probably drink a liter or so), and exercise every few days. Masturbating is kept at once a day or every two days, so I no longer feel like I have to abstain for many days, although I'll try to reduce the frequency for better muscle gains since I workout. I also don't eat pasta.

I'm guessing it's really the sweet potato consumption in the evening, because of all the vitamin A.

I don't consume any supplements and I wash my face only with water. And no I don't believe I "grew out of it" because recently after drinking a few beers I got a major breakout that took around two weeks to subside. I can tell I got the same triggers as ever.

So that's how it is for me. Maybe you can give the sweet potato a try for two weeks:)

Good luck!

Edited by Chocobot

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Sweet potatoes are an awesome carb. They've got plenty of fiber, tons of beta-carotene, vitamin A, and they have a very low glycemic index. I just can't eat them in any form that doesn't include cranberries and marshmallows :P.

Or maybe you react to something you cut out, such as gluten which is found in beer...

I highly doubt that eating a sweet potato is what is keeping your skin clearer, especially since you'd probably have to eat a LOT of them in one sitting to get a large enough amount of vitamin A for it to make a difference.

Actually you'd be surprised, there is 19217IU per 100g, and its not hard at all to eat 500g in one sitting, so thats close to 100,000IU in 500g alone which is probably enough to make a difference.

Taken from http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegeta...products/2667/2

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Usually, I would think it was silly for someone to say that eating a sweet potato each day stopped their acne. But everyone in my family talks about how my great-grandmother endured horrible acne until her 60's. According to the story, an "old-school" doctor finally told her to "eat a potato" every day for dinner. :wacko: She thought the advice was very strange, but did so. Her acne promptly went away.

Obviously, white potatoes don't clear acne. But now I am beginning to wonder if over the generations someone forgot the story involved a sweet potato?

Everyone was always amazed how her acne cleared. I would think that it is certainly worth a try. :think:

Edited by Dotty1

I'd say sweet potatoes help me. Its hard to say how much, its not black and white, but it feels like when I go through spells of eating them regular, my skin is better. There are so many factors to be sure of anything though.

I typically try and get half a sweet potato in for quite a few meals. So I will have them instead of normal potatoes, or rice or starchy carbs. I use them in stir fries or steamed or baked, and will normally combine them with some other green veg. Also I'll try and have carrots pretty regular steamed/baked/stir fried for their vitamin A.

Edited by wibble

Look, someone else noticed the same results when eating sweet potatoes:

"When i was in high school (height of breakouts 1990's) i notice that whenever i eat sweet potatoes my skin feels tighter and acne's seems to subside the following days.

I went on a high sweet potato diet for 1 month and everybody complimented ( i was the notoriously famous 'acneman' ) and asked what medicine was i taking. My skin did clear up. "

Source: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Sweet-pot...ered-t9829.html

Edited by Dotty1

Never realized the sweet potato was so nutritious:

"According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the sweet potato ranked number one in nutrition of all vegetables. With a score of 184, the sweet potato outscored the next highest vegetable by more than 100 points.

CSPI says the single most important dietary change for most people would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes."

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington D.C. copyright 1992

Certainly can't hurt to make them a staple.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I've started 500g a day with the majority being post workout, so will keep everyone upto date with whats going on.

I've always eaten them as my only starchy carb source but not usually this much!

Wouldn't it just be simpler to take Vit A supplements? Although there are complications when they are taken too long - liver damage I think? And people who take vit A for a long time usually say their skin dries out a lot, similar side-effects as Accutane.

Vitamin A in vegetables is beta carotene, which is completely different to vitamin A from animal sources like liver. The body simply converts beta carotene into vitamin A and the rest is excreted, its basically impossible to overdose on it.

A vitamin supplement or a natural source? Pretty sure which one will be better for you. Its not the only good thing a sweet potato has either.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I eat about a 1000-1400 grams of sweet potatoes every other day for my post workout carbs. Not sure if it affects my face.

Dude, why do you think masturbation affects muscle gains? It doesn't...

Interesting.

I've never had a sweet potato in my life, what do they taste like?

If they are really that good for you and clear up your skin i might try that out.

How should i cook them? Baked i assume?

Interesting.

I've never had a sweet potato in my life, what do they taste like?

If they are really that good for you and clear up your skin i might try that out.

How should i cook them? Baked i assume?

They are delicious! I like to bake them and eat with coconut oil or butter with a little salt and a dash of turmeric. I also like to roast them in coconut oil. If I'm in a hurry I'll cook in the microwave (roll it up in a paper towel, run it under water to dampen the towel and cook in the micro for about 7 minutes. They are also good with cinnamon, curry or even cayenne pepper. Whenever I roast veggies and potatoes, I'll add them as well.

Or maybe you react to something you cut out, such as gluten which is found in beer...

I highly doubt that eating a sweet potato is what is keeping your skin clearer, especially since you'd probably have to eat a LOT of them in one sitting to get a large enough amount of vitamin A for it to make a difference.

I eat cereals and bagels every day, so no.

One sweet potato contains between 350% to 800% the daily recommended vitamin A.

And how is taking supplements "easier"? It's an unnatural way of getting your vitamins. I cut a potato in pieces, put it int he oven at 450F for 17 minutes or so. Done. :)

And I got no side effects like hair loss, dry skin, etc.

And for the one asking about sexual activity VS muscle mass gains: abstain for two weeks and talk to me about it again.

Edited by Chocobot