Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

adrenal problems vs. pituitary problems

So, I definitely have hypothyroidism. And when I take thyroid supplements, my acne ameliorates. :)

But I've been made aware that my thyroid problem could be caused by a pituitary or adrenal problem. When I Google both conditions, they only list extreme symptoms such as a male becoming feminine or a female becoming masculine. Obviously, my problems aren't that serious. But I still want to know if it could be one or the other.

Isn't there at least 1 or 2 symptoms that can distinguish between pituitary or adrenal problems?

PLEASSSSSSSSSE tell me there is! I don't want to have to buy all the supplements for one and discover it is the other... :confused:

Edited by Dotty1

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C45228.html

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C17669.html

I believe that similar to thyroid issues, adrenal insufficiency or adrenal exhaustion is somewhat common. Our modern habits & lifestyles full of stress and stressors of course exacerbates the problem.

I think pituitary problems may be less benign and are often caused by hormone secreting tumors (if this was the case I think you would know it...), these are the things that lead to male/female characteristics in men/women and dwarfism/gigantism in growing kids.

Though the minor thyroid, adrenal, pituitary etc imbalances are probably all related and are mostly manifestations of a less than optimal diet/lifestyle, but may be to an extent inevitable given the nature of modern living and the disconnect with our biologies and the environment we evolved in.

PLEASSSSSSSSSE tell me there is! I don't want to have to buy all the supplements for one and discover it is the other... :confused:

I just read this part of your post again... had to do a bit of a face slap not gonna lie.

You really need to focus on what your barriers to optimal health are. Hone in on your diet and lifestyle, stress factors, exercise, sleep, etc. If you are indeed having these issues you are not going to find your solution by just swallowing some pills. This is a bad mentality to have.

And furthermore, rather than just assuming you have any of these said conditions, perhaps you should actually get tested for them, rather than just taking medications for something you may or may not even have!

By pills, I meant vitamins, minerals. For example, I read people with hypothyroid are commonly deficient in the mineral Selenium. I took Selenium and my skin improved! I plan on eating more Brazil nuts (great source of selenium). So I was thinking that perhaps people with adrenal problems may be deficient in another vitamin.

As for my diet, I have always tried to eat healthy, so it is hard to tell if that is the cause. :think:

Looking back, I notice that I began having thyroid symptoms around 8 years old. For example, I would turn blue in swimming pools because I was just too cold. I have always had cold hands and feet. Since I was around 6 years old, I had overly oily hair -- which disappears when on acne medication. The oily hair turned into oily, sebum clogged pores at puberty. Then I had tons of menstrual problems. All of these are symptoms of thyroid problems.

I think I have always had Celiac Disease, although it worsened a few years ago. The thyroid problems worsened at the same time (went through an extremely stressful period in my life).

My mom tried hard to make sure I ate healthy as a child, but we didn't know I was Celiac. Thyroid problems and Celiac Disease usually go hand in hand. So all those years I was eating gluten. I've also cut out the soy and corn now and the goitrogenic foods (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc.). These greens shut down the thyroid and I fall asleep after eating them for several hours and then remain lethargic for four days afterward.

So, I feel like I do not know what I'm doing wrong diet wise. Been gluten-free 9 months. No soy, corn or goitrogenic foods for 5 months now. I am hoping I'm just missing some vitamin or mineral for the adrenal system.

Edited by Dotty1

You really need to focus on what your barriers to optimal health are. Hone in on your diet and lifestyle, stress factors, exercise, sleep, etc. If you are indeed having these issues you are not going to find your solution by just swallowing some pills. This is a bad mentality to have.

Exactly. A nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for combined with a natural circadian cycle and exercise helps everything. That's why all the sections in my good things thread are full of links to the other sections.