Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FacePalmBook

The Pituitary Gland

Hello all. I haven't been around a while but just thought I'd open up a possibility. For the past two years now we have been investigating my symptoms and health problems in an attempt to find out what I may have. Among one of my symptoms is acne, something I had never had in my life prior to two years ago ( I am 22 now.) I also lurk on acne.org, reading many of your posts on diet and acne connection, of which I know a considerable amount. I have been on an acne free diet for some time now ( two years ) with little results.

Having had no success in finding out with various tests, we're not turning to an endocrine doctor and investigating the possibility of me having a pituitary adenoma as I have all the symptoms of it. That is, a small pituitary growth that may be affecting the function of the pituitary gland. Some of these growth's secrete unnecessary hormones, such as secreting too much of one hormone, or may be signaling your body to not secrete enough. As some of you may or may not know, the pituitary gland is responsible for a lot. It controls menstruation in women, thyroid function, has a lot to do with orgasm and many other functions. If it's thrown off, it can throw your ENTIRE body off. It may even trigger unnecessary acne. Probably the most disconcerting thing about it is that it may even cause you no symptoms, but may just be affecting your acne. I would love to update people as to what happens with my testing and if my acne is improved upon finding out what is wrong.

I guess the point of my post is to make aware that endocrine diseases like this may be more common than we are aware, and if diet is not helping then this may be something to check out, particularly if you may have fatigue or other unexplained symptoms. Pituitary adenoma's I have read occur in up to 25% of autopsied pituitary glands, although they may not always be hormone secreting, they can impair the function of the gland. Doctors are normally trained not to look for these, which is a mistake I might add as my sister's friend recently found out she had one herself after numerous tests including a test that mistaken-ed her for having celiac disease!

Thanks for reading this, and if you have anything you want to add or an idea on what endocrine problems to get checked out, Advice for me, or for others, I'd love to hear it. I'd also love to update folks on what happens with my appointment later. I hope people know that there are causes for acne other than diet.

NOTE: If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I was not sure what section to put it in. Thanks.

Interesting! I recently found I have all of the symptoms for hypothyroidism. I don't plan on using doctors (sick of them!) and I'll do the research myself.

However, I keep being reminded that there could be two reasons behind my thyroid problems: A Pituitary problem or an Adrenal problem.

Adrenal gland vs. Pituitary Gland

I am looking for any information to sort out which one could be the problem.

Edited by Dotty1

You might find luck looking at a local lab and see if they have a panel that can test the key components to what could be the cause.