Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vapor1

Benzoyl Peroxide Sun Sensitivity

Ever since I started using benzoyl peroxide, my skin has totally cleared up. I read on the back that it could cause sensitivity to the sun, so I have a few questions regarding that...

Does benzoyl peroxide permanently (or for a few days-weeks after using it) make it sensitive to the sun, or does it only do it while you have it applied directly to your face?

Please tell me about your experiences with benzoyl peroxide and the sun..

Thanks

That's an interesting and good question. For some meds, like retinoids, the sun sensitivity will last beyond stopping the med, for a week or so. That's generally due to the alteration in the skin itself.

However, BP doesn't alter the skin in the same way. But I'd still be cautious for a week or so after stopping BP. Just to be safe. :)

I've had some experience on BP washes/gels when I first started using them my skin got badly BADLY sunburnt. Then I started using a sunscreen for 3 months, then stopped using suncreen for just a moisturizer and I didn't get sunburn, but that's just me.