Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vpuzzle

Does flu worsen acne?

Hi guys!

I just wanted to know - does having a flu or cold generally worsen acne and cause fresh breakouts?

I am currently struggling to through off a bad dose of flu (I am on day 15 of flu!) and, although I can't say I have noticed a considerable change in my skin, I was wondering if it could affect it in any way?

Let me hear your thoughts!

Hi guys!

I just wanted to know - does having a flu or cold generally worsen acne and cause fresh breakouts?

I am currently struggling to through off a bad dose of flu (I am on day 15 of flu!) and, although I can't say I have noticed a considerable change in my skin, I was wondering if it could affect it in any way?

Let me hear your thoughts!

It really varies according to severity of flu (do you really have flu or just a bad cold? http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/coldflu.htm

{With influenza}...symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose...
), your nutritional status and daily ability to intake adequate, quality nutrition, your reaction to illness, etc. Some will have worsened acne with an illness, others will have improved (possibly because they're resting more, drinking more fluids, trying to eat a proper diet, and maybe even due to a fever which can help kill bacteria).

Scientifically and all that, I have no clue. But same for me, I always get clear when I had a cold.

I don't know if it was just a coincidence because I usually would stay home and not wear makeup?

I also get clearer when I've caught a cold. I think the body is busy fighting off the virus. It uses inflammation. Dunno if it makes sense.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

no, it actually improves it. i wish i had flu :( but now with all this healthy ass eating n stuff just no chance for me to ever get 1 >:(

Thank you to all people who responded to my query!

I had to post again, because I had some feedback to add.

The illness I had when I posted this was definitely flu, not a cold. During that time my skin did not get worse, but certainly didn't show any signs of clearing either. Just after the flu I had a minor breakout along my jawline - I have no idea if it was related to the flu in any way.

Anyhow, yesterday I was unlucky enough to pink up another virus! (I know, I know, I sound unhealthy. I assure you this does NOT normally happen to me!) Anyhow, this time round I don't think I have flu, just a nasty cold. And here's the interesting part... my skin is clearing beautifully! I suspect it won't last, and it may be just coincidental, but nevertheless I am very happy with my skin atm. I went out today without any cover up and didn't even feel self conscious! :D

So, if a cold does clear your skin, at least that's one good thing about it. :D

Edited by vpuzzle

Anything that increases inflammation in your body has the potential to make your acne worse. I remember reading a medical case study where a person got acne because of dental infection. And as soon as that infected tooth was taken care of his skin got clear. Not saying these kind of things are common, but they can happen.

Odd to read this post. A week of 102F and my skin is like a baby's behind... Not that I can go out and enjoy it or anything.

My I had a spontaneous breakout 5 days ago with heaps of cystic acne. I had no idea why. Then, 2 days ago i started to cough and sneeze and then i had the flu, but now the acne from the break out has cleared as well as pervious acne i had before o.O

I think acne worsens in the early non symptom stages of a flu, but clears as you get better. Its just a hypothesis...

Maybe the virus also attacks the acne bacteria on your face =D

My I had a spontaneous breakout 5 days ago with heaps of cystic acne. I had no idea why. Then, 2 days ago i started to cough and sneeze and then i had the flu, but now the acne from the break out has cleared as well as pervious acne i had before o.O

I think acne worsens in the early non symptom stages of a flu, but clears as you get better. Its just a hypothesis...

Maybe the virus also attacks the acne bacteria on your face =D

It's simply because your immune system is weakened when you have the flu, and your body is most likely utilizing resources to fight the more serious threat (the flu) rather than acne.

Back before I knew what was going on with my skin, I was always baffled because every time I got a bad cold or flu, my skin would mysteriously clear up.

Now I know it's because I wasn't eating much during my sickness, and therefore not ingesting the foods which trigger breakouts.

this is my theory, during any ilness, flu,cold,internal infection etc SHBG SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN increases dramatically mopping away any free testosterone (that will eventually change into dht), in the blood stream.the reproductive system is shut down by the brain because its in no state to do what it needs to .