Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LWinKorea

Changing Dosages (5mg-40mg) during one course

Hi Everyone,

My name is Linda and I was put on accutane in July 2010. First I'll start with my background. Ive had mild or moderate acne since i was about 16 (now 24). It got much better over the past two years, mild hormonal breakouts but was maintained by a good diet and vitamins. I took a job as a professional athlete in another country and my skin went crazy. I was super oily and breaking out consistantly. My doctor tried everything even regular skin peels and antibiotics. Eventually he turned to low dose accutane.

I was a little worried when I read about the side effects. I do alot of strenuous exersize and couldnt afford to allow the med to interfere with my performance considering It was how I made a living. I had to try it though, I work in an asian country that has an obsession with beautiful skin. Your only as beautiful as the quality of your skin..it seems. Seeing as how I was in the public eye alot, this seemed necessary.

Well I started my course during preseason at a low dose of 20mg/day. I weigh about 65kg. The doctor mentioned that Id be on the drug aprox 6-12 months depending on my results. The first month the oil dried up and there were no active pimples. Months 2 and 3 were not so great. I was breaking out consistantly like before I started the drug. Even though I was no longer oily, i was still pimply. I didnt experience many side effects other than chapped lips and slightly dry skin. When It came to performance there wasnt much of a change that I could see.

Month 4 is when things started to change because my doctor bumped me up to 40mg/day. As soon as I started taking it my skin got alot better. Two weeks in I was pretty much pimple free. My skin and lips were much drier though. After finishing month 4 at 40mg/day i started to notice my side effects changing. It was like running into a wall. I noticed a big change in my endurance and strength, i was much more tired at practice. My eyes felt drier, I had headaches, and occasional nose bleeds. Seeing as how playing a sport is how I made a living I had to stop. I stopped taking accutane for two weeks to get some of it out of my system and then decided that i would continue back on a lower dose.

During the two weeks of not taking accutane I still remained clear. Im starting now at 5mg/day because im so afraid of having those side effects again now that im in the middle of my season. I plan on taking this doasage for the remainder of my season which is about 3 more months. After my season ends in March, I plan to do one month of 40mg/day to finish. The reason Im doing this is because i want to hit a cumulative doasge that is adequate enough to put my acne into remission. Has anyone changed their dosage this much and had success???

My log:

month 1-3 20mg/day

month 4 40mg/day

month 5-7 5mg/day

month 8 40mg/day

Daily Multivitamin, fish oils, vit c, vit e, calcium, vit d, and protein shakes.

Great idea going on a low dose. I'm just worried about your vitamins. Make sure there isn't any Vit A in your multivitamin, and in your fish oils.

Good luck

Great idea going on a low dose. I'm just worried about your vitamins. Make sure there isn't any Vit A in your multivitamin, and in your fish oils.

Good luck

Minimal Vit A but im also taking only 5mg. Its been 2 weeks and the side effects from the 40/mg dosage still havnt worn off. It feels like i have a consistant headache and pressure behind the eyes. My endurance is still poor. Our training staff is begining to worry. Im begining to worry.