Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
optimism.

Will foods you are allergic to cause pimples if consumed while on Accutane?

Long story short: my diet while on Accutane consisted mostly of dark chocolate and coffee and gelato and whatever I wanted really. I didn't get a single pimple from it. We all know you shouldn't drink throughout your course.. but alcohol didn't affect my skin either.

Now, assuming I'm one of those people whose acne is affected by diet, should eating junk food while on Accutane have caused new pimples anyway? Or were the effects negated by the Accutane?

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure whether diet affects my skin. Since coming off Accutane I haven't had any chocolate, or coffee or anything! I have a major sweet tooth, and this makes me sad that I can't exploit my fast metabolism haha :3

Currently I eat a lot of carbs and so far that hasn't seemed to cause new breakouts. Neither has the occasional banana bread and muffin.

Long story short: my diet while on Accutane consisted mostly of dark chocolate and coffee and gelato and whatever I wanted really. I didn't get a single pimple from it. We all know you shouldn't drink throughout your course.. but alcohol didn't affect my skin either.

Now, assuming I'm one of those people whose acne is affected by diet, should eating junk food while on Accutane have caused new pimples anyway? Or were the effects negated by the Accutane?

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure whether diet affects my skin. Since coming off Accutane I haven't had any chocolate, or coffee or anything! I have a major sweet tooth, and this makes me sad that I can't exploit my fast metabolism haha :3

Currently I eat a lot of carbs and so far that hasn't seemed to cause new breakouts. Neither has the occasional banana bread and muffin.

this is a good question... i think it would likely to depend on 3 factors - the month of accutane you are in, youre dose, and how sensitive your skin is to carbohydrates.

having a sweet tooth means different things to different people. this could mean a large milkshake everyday for someone else on top of the other stuff the are eating, while to another person it could be a few hershey kisses or something randomly throughout the day.

its not about junk food necessarily, but how much you are consuming in a sitting. a huge bowl of oatmeal is a lot worse then a chocolate bar split up.

typically consistently eating huge amounts of food in a sitting day after day is going to eventually make the acne patient worse. sort of like dieting; eating what you planned throughout the week and on a day having youre banana bread and a muffin most likely isn't going to do anything

I wouldn't recommend eating foods your allergic to, regardless of being on roaccutane...

But yes - Personally I think that the roaccutane could be negating any effects the food has on your skin.

Accutane is going to push out every single little plugged pore on your face no matter what you do.

BUT, you should eat as healthy as possible to help your body heal. Your body is under a lot of stress when on that stuff.

Never eat something you're 'allergic' to. Sensitive is another matter entirely. Sensitive may mean you get a pimple or two. Allergic means you get full-blown cystic acne (multiple lesions), difficulty swallowing, a significant rash, etc.

Foods you're sensitive to may not (and then again they may!) cause a pimple or two or three if you eat them while on Accutane. It varies, there's no absolute way to say either way for sure.

However, if you eat something you're TRULY allergic to while on Accutane, you will STILL get that reaction (hives, swallowing issue, swelling, etc).

Never eat something you're 'allergic' to. Sensitive is another matter entirely. Sensitive may mean you get a pimple or two. Allergic means you get full-blown cystic acne (multiple lesions), difficulty swallowing, a significant rash, etc.

Foods you're sensitive to may not (and then again they may!) cause a pimple or two or three if you eat them while on Accutane. It varies, there's no absolute way to say either way for sure.

However, if you eat something you're TRULY allergic to while on Accutane, you will STILL get that reaction (hives, swallowing issue, swelling, etc).

General near death experience isn't it really =P

It's not a good way to go either... Had it before... Twice!

i was just about to make a post about this, im gluten sensative, i dont think allergic because i dont get hives or swollen throat/tongue but i do get some prettyy bad cysts. i was never gluten sensative until i moved to another state, maybe it was the stress or something but literally 1 week after i moved i got 11 cysts the size of grapes. they stayed there for about 6 months until i found out it was gluten causing it. i can keep my face somewhat cyst free if i stay away from ALL gluten, i still get some nodules and pimples though so im going on a low dose accutane course. im hoping that while on the course if i keep a very strict healthy diet i will be 100% clear and hopefully after the course is done i can slowly start introducing Gluten back into my diet and HOPEFULLY i can Drink alcohol atleast 1 or 2 times a month without getting huge cysts. anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Woops. Yeah, I meant sensitive to, not allergic.

I think I can assume that my diet doesn't affect my skin. I drink soy every day, and eat mostly carbs and wheat and no difference. Yet.

Thanks all for replying :D