Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr President

Vitamin C Serums for Scars

Hey all,

Recently, I've included a vitamin C serum into the creams im using to help me heal after some tca peels.

It contains:

25% L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Hyaluronic Acid

Potassium Sorbate

Citric Acid

When I apply it, it stings a little and within 4-5 minutes the vitamin C takes a highly frosty appearance, a bit like sugar stuck to the skin.

It seems to dry out my skin and makes scabs dislodge faster. Which im not sure is a desirable trait.

Has anyone else found this too or might it be due to the vitamin C serum im using?

I used The Body Shop's Vitamin C Plus for a few weeks, followed by Jason's Ester C for a few more weeks, and I didn't experience any dry skin.

The Body Shop's Vit C worked like a moisturizer and had a silicone-base type feel to it (very smooth) and I enjoyed it though the effects were slower.

Jason's Ester C has been amazing and has worked quickly on my hyper-pigmentation, especially the fresh spots. It has a greasy feel, and I did get a couple of zits after using it that I am fairly certain were tied to the Jason's serum but that has since cleared away. I use the Jason's to spot treat now, and I haven't gotten any problems and my hyper-pigmentation is fading quickly.

I used The Body Shop's Vitamin C Plus for a few weeks, followed by Jason's Ester C for a few more weeks, and I didn't experience any dry skin.

The Body Shop's Vit C worked like a moisturizer and had a silicone-base type feel to it (very smooth) and I enjoyed it though the effects were slower.

Jason's Ester C has been amazing and has worked quickly on my hyper-pigmentation, especially the fresh spots. It has a greasy feel, and I did get a couple of zits after using it that I am fairly certain were tied to the Jason's serum but that has since cleared away. I use the Jason's to spot treat now, and I haven't gotten any problems and my hyper-pigmentation is fading quickly.

Oh yours does sound good. Mine is off ebay I must admit, so it is has a lot fewer ingredients. Whilst all the nature lovers out there would be thrilled, some of the ingredients in yours sound like they benefit your skin a lot more :)

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for your help !

Mine was from Amazon. I bet I sound a little shill-y with two posts on the same product. It really has worked for me though, and it is such a relief after trying loads of products from Murad's After Acne Marks gel to Mederma, etc. I also love that it is relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of acne/post acne products around.

Mine was from Amazon. I bet I sound a little shill-y with two posts on the same product. It really has worked for me though, and it is such a relief after trying loads of products from Murad's After Acne Marks gel to Mederma, etc. I also love that it is relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of acne/post acne products around.

ah so ur a net shopper too! good on you and im glad its working for ya :)

i now know why mine isnt working well. its def the citric acid in it, which is annoying my skin to bits. i notice it stings quite a bit and the redness is more noticable afterwards. its a shame, but its going back into the cupboard!

Its good but you must take care and need to always have a keen eye when using vitamin C serum for acne scars. This is because the vitamin C may get oxidized before before you even use it! This can happen because as mentioned earlier, ascorbic acid is very unstable. In fact, even in stabilized formulations, there is a risk that before even getting the preparation home, it gets oxidized. One simple way to keep a check on this is to be on the lookout for yellowing of the serum. When the ascorbic acid takes on yellow tinge, it indicates oxidation. So if your vitamin C face creams or vitamin C serums take on a yellow hue, it is absolutely important to discard them. This is because, rather than being beneficial, using oxidized serum may actually cause more harm than benefit. For the purpose of being able to use the color test, you shouldn't buy vitamin C creams or serums that are tinted yellow or orange. This is because then you will not be able to visually check for oxidation. You need to keep this in mind more so because in the first stage of oxidation, the solution is still colorless, hence it may go undetected.