Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lemonberry

Retin-A (Tretinoin) From experience

Wow. I never knew that you should moisturize when your skin is still damp. I'm going to try this.

I think it is probably different for everyone. I have found that waiting around 10 minutes after applying topicals to moisturize works best for me. I am not saying that its wrong to moisturize when your skin is damp because obviously it is working for her, so I hope that it works for you as well. I also found that washing my face right after my shower rather than in my shower allows me to use a mirror and make sure I am using enough cleanser and am hitting my entire face, this is probably the reason I wouldn't be able to moisturize directly after the shower.

hmm. So you suggest applying the topical first, and then moisturizing? Eventually I think I want to do this to get the full effect. I just don't know if my skin is ready for something like that.

hmm. So you suggest applying the topical first, and then moisturizing? Eventually I think I want to do this to get the full effect. I just don't know if my skin is ready for something like that.

I'm not sure about that making much of a difference. I know if I did that, my face would feel like a mask. I've always used my moisturizer right after a shower and was told by my dermatologist to mix the tretinoin with the moisturizer and apply it.

I apologize to anyone looking for new pictures. It's been a bad week. They will be up soon

hey i am really happy for you but I have a question. My derm also gave me some BP soap to use but I haven't used it since I first tried it out. I heard the BP neutralizes retin a and also when I first used that soap it made my skin very irritated. So should I try and start using that soap with BP in it again? Because you said you used it to clense your face before using retin a.

hey i am really happy for you but I have a question. My derm also gave me some BP soap to use but I haven't used it since I first tried it out. I heard the BP neutralizes retin a and also when I first used that soap it made my skin very irritated. So should I try and start using that soap with BP in it again? Because you said you used it to clense your face before using retin a.

Well I'm no expert, but I believe that's only true if you're using a BP leave-on at the same time as tretinoin. Though, I've asked myself the same question.

All I can tell you is that I've been washing my face with BP every time before I apply the tretinoin and my results have been fantastic!

As far as the irritation goes, BP itself is super irritating. When I first used both products together, it was burning and intense irritation. So please, start slow and use SMALL amounts. Try using it every other day and work yourself up. Make sure you're only applying the recommended amount of tretinoin. At one point, I realized I was using too much product... my skin was sooo irritated.

The BEST advice I could give you is that you should talk to your doctor about the irritation if nothing is working for you.

How long did it take for you to start seeing any results with Retin A? I used tretinoin for about 2 months, switched to using retin a micro for about 2 months, and just switched to alternating micro with tazorac and I haven't seen the slightest change. No dryness, no real bad irritation, no new acne, no old acne going away.

I know you guys say to moisturize about 10 minutes after applying retin A, which is what I did for about 2 months. But has anyone heard that applying moisturizer will screw up the time release of the retin a micro medication? I recently stopped using moisturizer with retin a micro cause I figured thats what was causing it to do nothing.

How long did it take for you to start seeing any results with Retin A? I used tretinoin for about 2 months, switched to using retin a micro for about 2 months, and just switched to alternating micro with tazorac and I haven't seen the slightest change. No dryness, no real bad irritation, no new acne, no old acne going away.

I know you guys say to moisturize about 10 minutes after applying retin A, which is what I did for about 2 months. But has anyone heard that applying moisturizer will screw up the time release of the retin a micro medication? I recently stopped using moisturizer with retin a micro cause I figured thats what was causing it to do nothing.

It was about 2-3 months until things started clearing. Sometimes, it's longer for some people.

No, I've never heard that about moisturizer. I've always used moisturizer and I've seen very positive results.

Are you totally clear now Lemonberry?

I am not.

I break out under stress and during my period. The past month has been rather stressful.

Though, things have been better in the past week since I had a mini vacation and I changed my skin care steps a bit! :]

I started using Cetaphil cleanser. Though, I have to say, it's an awkard feeling product on the skin.

I do suggest using it though! It seems to be working and it's inexpensive.

Another thing is that I've been cow's milk free for almost 2 weeks! I switched over to almond milk and my face has defiantly shown improvements! Not sure if this will work for everyone.. since I used to consume an ungodly amount of milk...

And last but not least. Lemons. I heard on here that they do magic for your skin.

I love them, so no harm in trying it out.

I squeeze a half a lemon into my soda water, drink that and then repeat until I've gone through 2 lemons throughout the day.

I am not.

I break out under stress and during my period. The past month has been rather stressful.

Though, things have been better in the past week since I had a mini vacation and I changed my skin care steps a bit! :]

I started using Cetaphil cleanser. Though, I have to say, it's an awkard feeling product on the skin.

Another thing is that I've been cow's milk free for almost 2 weeks! I switched over to almond milk and my face has defiantly shown improvements! Not sure if this will work for everyone.. since I used to consume an ungodly amount of milk...

And last but not least. Lemons. I heard on here that they do magic for your skin.

I squeeze a half a lemon into my soda water, drink that and then repeat until I've gone through 2 lemons throughout the day.

Hi there,

I'm definitely going to add in lemons to my diet. It's a good detox for the body in general. I'd like to ask you if the tretinon cream is what helped to prevent hyperpigementation for you? Your progress is amazing. I'm so happy for you. I will have been on Yaz, Doxycyline 100mg x2 a day, Differin .3, and Duac for 3 months by the end of this February. I have recently started exfoliating with a brush I bought from the body shop a while back. And as you, I am also using Clean and Clear BP wash (love it!). I'm not sure if that's helping to fade my marks or if it's the differin .3 gel. I honestly don't know what to do to rid myself of these marks now that i've stopped breaking out (been clear for 3 weeks!). Do you think the Differin gel will help me or is helping me with the hyperpigmentation? Hope I can get your insight. Congrats on the success! You have lovely skin.

The first picture is from sometime mid to the end of November and the other picture of the marks is from February.

Edited by hopeful87.

Just wanted to say something about lemons. I drank lemon juice mixed with water through a straw for a while and I have to say I don't think it's too good for you teeth. I mean, before my teeth were in pretty good condition but after drinking for a few weeks(even through a straw) my teeth started to turn brown and had all these weird marks on them. so I stopped drinking them and now my teeth are fine. I maybe overdid it but just be safe and don't go overboard!

I am not.

Hi there,

I'm definitely going to add in lemons to my diet. It's a good detox for the body in general. I'd like to ask you if the tretinon cream is what helped to prevent hyperpigementation for you? Your progress is amazing. I'm so happy for you. I will have been on Yaz, Doxycyline 100mg x2 a day, Differin .3, and Duac for 3 months by the end of this February. I have recently started exfoliating with a brush I bought from the body shop a while back. And as you, I am also using Clean and Clear BP wash (love it!). I'm not sure if that's helping to fade my marks or if it's the differin .3 gel. I honestly don't know what to do to rid myself of these marks now that i've stopped breaking out (been clear for 3 weeks!). Do you think the Differin gel will help me or is helping me with the hyperpigmentation? Hope I can get your insight. Congrats on the success! You have lovely skin.

The first picture is from sometime mid to the end of November and the other picture of the marks is from February.

Well clearly your skin is showing improvement. Personally, Differin Gel did not work for me. So I couldn't tell you if it could work for you. Yes, I do believe the tretinoin is seriously helping with tthe red marks.

If you're up to it, you might consider trying tretinoin if you're not seeing fading of the red marks. Though, be warned that tretinoin is stronger and more irritating.

Just wanted to say something about lemons. I drank lemon juice mixed with water through a straw for a while and I have to say I don't think it's too good for you teeth. I mean, before my teeth were in pretty good condition but after drinking for a few weeks(even through a straw) my teeth started to turn brown and had all these weird marks on them. so I stopped drinking them and now my teeth are fine. I maybe overdid it but just be safe and don't go overboard!

I'm aware of the dangers of citrus regarding dental care. I've already been asked to cut down on orange juice by my dentist (it's my favorite drink)

Though darkening of the teeth sounds very unusual... all that happened to my teeth was enamel loss. Mainly because I never used a straw

Lemonberry, your skin looks amazing. Do you have oily skin generally? Do you break out especially around your period or just about anytime? I am having a very hard time with retin A. My skin is tight, dehydrated and flaky but also oily. I am still going through the IB phase and my skin much much worse before I started. I hate putting heavy moisturizer but without it, my skin is like Sahara. I am about 1.5 months on it now. I believe my problem is too much thick sebum production. Since retin A doesn't really help that, I am not sure if this is going to work for me.

Edited by hina79

UPDATE.

It seems as though I'm slowly going back to having bad skin. I'm really not sure what's going on here....

I'm back to intense breakouts... my skin is a mess. Going to the derm next week

UPDATE.

It seems as though I'm slowly going back to having bad skin. I'm really not sure what's going on here....

I'm back to intense breakouts... my skin is a mess. Going to the derm next week

I know this is an old post.... But did your skin clear up again?

I started Tretinoin Gel 0.01% and today I just finished week 5. My skin is breaking out baaaaad. In some ways its worse than before because it's more prominent and more frequent, but it's better in that the pimples are not as deep. I'm so proud of myself thought because I've been forgoing makeup!

The pictures you posted really helped! When/if I see results I will definitely post my photos to help encourage others.

SO... how is your skin now? Are you still using the Retin-A?

Your skin looks fantastic! I hope it works for me- I have .05%

Good to know it takes a long time, I would've given up without seeing this!

Edited by rwh007

Can someone help I don't really have bad acne or in fact any acne at all but when I do get a pimple it always leaves a dark scar even if I don't pop it I started using retina a the gel for the scars right now I have no acne just scars but it started burning on the spots i applied the gel after the 3rd day is this normal also the spots are flaky and dry and itchy should I stop the use???